Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Have to switch Fuel Tuners  (Read 3587 times)

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
Have to switch Fuel Tuners
« on: May 08, 2011, 09:44:58 PM »

Well one of the best pieces of advice I've heard on these bike forums is, "buy the tuner that your tuner guy uses". A bit of background story first :

When I bought my bike last year, I went with the Fullsac package with the TTS tuner. At the time, I figure I would do it myself, and would never need a custom dyno tune.
No complaints with the TTS and Steve at Fullsacs map- bike ran great and dyno'd well, up until recently.

The only changes I've made this season is new plugs and wires (SE 10 mm wires and HD platinum plugs), and Rinehart 4" slip ons. Also ran some Seafoam through it just for good measure. About a week ago, I noticed my bike pinging slightly for the first time. Only happens at WOT (in any gear), and just does it just for a couple seconds. I don't think it was the gas- I had one tank full (87 octane) when I first noticed it but didn't think the noise I heard was pinging, so I refilled different brand gas (87 octane), meanwhile it was still doing it, then my shop guy took it for a boot and advised that it is engine ping that I'm hearing.

Since then, I put in some Lucas ocatane boost, and I don't know if it helped because I avoided WOT since then since it's harmful to the engine, but all this made me come to the conclusion that I really should get a custom dyno tune done.

So here's the problem- nobody around here tunes with the TTS Mastertune. Well, I shouldn't say nobody- there is one shop, but he doesn't have a dyno and doesn't come recommended anyhow. There is a guy around here that is supposed to be the best tuner around (and specializes in doing engine work and tuning on 110's), and he only tunes with the SEPST. So, as much as it sucks, I ordered a SEPST from Jenni, and will take my bike hopefully on Friday to get a custom map done by him, which will get rid of the pinging, and give me piece of mind that the bike is running at it's optimal best. That part doesn't suck, but what does is that from what I understand, my $450 TTS is now a paperweight, since it's already married to my bike, unless hopefully someone can tell me otherwise  :(.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:47:47 PM by North Star »
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Have to switch Fuel Tuners
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 09:49:21 PM »

That part doesn't suck, but what does is that from what I understand, my $450 TTS is now a paperweight, since it's already married to my bike, unless hopefully someone can tell me otherwise  :(.

Yep...it's a paperweight......

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 09:56:15 PM »

87 octane?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ob1

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTCUSE 2
    • CVO2: FLSTSE 1
    • CVO3: 2013 Custom FLHX
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 10:03:12 PM »

Myself and most here run nothing but 93 if its available.

digga25

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 serg
    • CVO2: 2010 sesg
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 10:05:30 PM »

You cant run that bike on 87 octaine. It has to be at least 93. That is why its pinging.My buddy ran 87 in his 96 ci street glide and the pinging when riding two up was real bad.I gave him a bottle of octaine boost and he filled up with 93 octaine,problem solved. I cant believe that your dealer never told you.Also its in the manual.

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 10:10:32 PM »

I've alway run 87 since that what the owners manual calls for, and everything I've read is that a lower compression engine like ours that doesn't call for anything higher not only doesn't need anything higher, but that high octane in an engine that requires lower octane, will only leave unburned gas behind.

I'm no expert, but I believe higher octane gas causes the fuel to ignite sooner, which is what high compression engines need, and that's what lower compression engines don't need.

I run high octane in my car, a 2.0 litre turbo, because that's what the manual calls for, as that's what that engines requires.
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 10:12:19 PM »

87 octane?

Jerry

He is in Canada. Is 87 the best they have there?  :nixweiss: Maybe Canadian bikes are tuned different than ones in the US?

You cant run that bike on 87 octaine. It has to be at least 93. That is why its pinging.My buddy ran 87 in his 96 ci street glide and the pinging when riding two up was real bad.I gave him a bottle of octaine boost and he filled up with 93 octaine,problem solved. I cant believe that your dealer never told you.Also its in the manual.

91 is the best you can get here in Oklahoma, the 95 down in Texas makes the bike run great.

digga25

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 10:18:07 PM »

Did the octaine boost help, have you tried wot yet?

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 10:25:05 PM »

No, we have all grades (87-89-91 and 93 Sunoco).

And my mistake- I REALLY don't know why I thought I was supposed to run 87- Last year I mainly ran 89, but I just checked the manual, and it does say 91 (boy I'm embarrased). Thing is, I never heard any pinging before, and the bike has always ran well, ran cool, and got good gas mileage.

Well, (wow did I mentioned how embarrased I am?), I'll only run 91 from now on. But regardless, looks like I'll still go for the dyno tune since the SEPST is on the way, and I'm sure I'll benefit from it.

So there is no way to reset the TTS so that I can sell it?

And no, I haven't run WOT yet- I went riding today but took it easy, and wanted to burn up the gas I had in my tank. Like I said, I'll only run the good stuff from now on, and pray I didn't mess anything up using the lower grade- can't believe I didn't have any pinging or driveability issues until now.
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

digga25

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 10:28:10 PM »

Probably didnt screw anything up. Just twist the wick and see if your ok.I always dump a little boost in when I have the chance.The bike runs real clean when I do.

digga25

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 10:31:15 PM »

With the TTS I think there is a thing associated with it called a dongle that is married to your bike and you cannot use it on another bike because it is tied into the vin when you buy it.

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 10:38:21 PM »

You know what, the more I think about it, I think I did run the good stuff last year- for some reason, I'm confused with my last bike that I just got rid of last year (I ran 87 in it as that's what the manual called for, and used to debate with with the Yamaha forum guys on about the higher octane vs regular bit).

Wow, it must have been a looooooong winter, or I'm getting old (both). :-[  :o  :oops:
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 11:04:32 PM »

With the TTS I think there is a thing associated with it called a dongle that is married to your bike and you cannot use it on another bike because it is tied into the vin when you buy it.

I was hoping it's one of those, "send it to the mfg and they can erase it for a fee", kinda thing.

I'm hoping Steve Cole is going to chime in, as I didn't see a "Contact Us" link on the TTS website.

And btw, apparently my dementia only kicked in this year- I just went thru all my gas receipts for last year, and I have been putting in 91- just f-ed up for this year.
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 11:26:43 PM »

What if you replace the ECM on a bike? How does the new ECM learn the VIN?

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 11:29:08 PM »

Might want to hold off on the new tuner. If fuel was the problem and you have been happy otherwise, I think I'd just turn around and sell the new tuner.  :nixweiss:
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 25 queries.