Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which tuner to install and why?  (Read 4337 times)

wolverine

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock Hard, Ride Free

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red / Black Ember
Which tuner to install and why?
« on: May 13, 2011, 11:03:48 PM »

Gonna go ahead and install a D&D Boss Fat Cat with the stock ventalator AC.But I can't decide on which tuner to get. I've been reading so many post I'm more confused than ever. I don't want to spend the money for a Dyno tune right now.
    I need something with a good canned map I can dump into the ECM. My main goals are to reduce engine heat, Increase low end torque, have a good running bike with no pinging and ride it and forget it operation. Are my expectations to high without a Dyno tune?
    I've thought about TTS Mastertune, PCV with autotune, power vision, SESPT as a last option. Rev performance is out as I don't want my ECM Flashed and unable to return to stock or replaced. SO which tuner to install and why?

ssls6

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CUSE-DARK
Re: Which tuner to install and why?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 07:51:26 AM »

I went the TTS route because I'm not a big fan of the dyno tune.  There is a learning curve with TTS if you want to get a precise tune but the canned map method also works OK.  Once you get more comfortable with the tool, improving your tune gets easier and easier.  With TTS, the official technical support is very good and the unofficial internet support is outstanding.

I know a lot of people say a dyno tune is best but it takes a lot of time to dial one in and I never liked the idea of paying for and having my bike on a dyno all day.  I would rather dial it in and ride at the same time.

My least favorite method involves a dongle that stays with the bike all the time.  I never liked those solutions.

good luck

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 07:57:26 AM »

Not a tuner expert here, so my suggestion is the practical one. If you believe, as I do, that you should get a dyno tune rather than drop a map then you should first identify a good dyno tech. Then I would suggest you buy what they are familiar with and recommend. I know people have their favorite tuners (SE Super Tuner, TTS, Power Commander, etc..) and I cannot argue the benefits of one over the other. However, getting the one that your technician has expertise with seems to me that pragmatic answer.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 08:55:27 AM »

Gonna go ahead and install a D&D Boss Fat Cat with the stock ventalator AC.But I can't decide on which tuner to get. I've been reading so many post I'm more confused than ever. I don't want to spend the money for a Dyno tune right now.
    I need something with a good canned map I can dump into the ECM. My main goals are to reduce engine heat, Increase low end torque, have a good running bike with no pinging and ride it and forget it operation. Are my expectations to high without a Dyno tune?
    I've thought about TTS Mastertune, PCV with autotune, power vision, SESPT as a last option. Rev performance is out as I don't want my ECM Flashed and unable to return to stock or replaced. SO which tuner to install and why?

Just FYI..Rev Performance flashes the ECM, but it can be returned to stock without any problems. Or you could get an 08-10 ECM and put your orignial on the shelf untouched if that makes you feel better. No tuning needed, auto adjusts to cam and pipe changes and no dyno needed......

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 09:20:43 AM »

I agree with Desert Hog. That being said I would also advise you to ask the tech/dealer/shop that is going to work on your bike/ warranty or your bike. If anything flies apart its easier if your dealer is on the same page as you when it comes to after market performance upgrades.
Supershooter

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 09:38:39 AM »

I had the same questions when I started as well. I found that around the St. Louis area most tuners suggested th Power Commander (about 60/40).

After searching I found FuelMoto.com. They sell pre-mapped units with an extended warranty for the about $10.00 more than I found anywhere.

I called them up, spoke to Jamie, told him what I had and what I was putting on. 5 days later I had it in my hand and installed it in about 5 minutes.

Ran and continues to run perfect right out of the box. I figure I saved about $200 on not having to send it to a tuner,

I did not go with the V-tuner because I can call FuelMoto anytime and they will sit on the phone with you to adjust the map so you can reload it and try it out.

Really a great group of folks.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

wolverine

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock Hard, Ride Free

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red / Black Ember
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 09:55:38 AM »

I agree with Desert Hog. That being said I would also advise you to ask the tech/dealer/shop that is going to work on your bike/ warranty or your bike. If anything flies apart its easier if your dealer is on the same page as you when it comes to after market performance upgrades.
Supershooter
I have talked to 3 different dealers in my area and the tuner that comes highly recommended works at 1 of them. They will install the Fatcat, Heavy breather, SEPST and dyno tune for $2800. I cant install the parts myself and have them tune it or warranty is voided. I can't buy my parts at a discount and have them install it, they won't do it. 2nd dealer is the same way. The 3rd dealer will let me buy my parts at a discount and install whatever tuner I want and will honor the factory warranty.
    This dealer is about 60 miles away and he recommends a SESPT or a PC-V with autotune module. I called Fuel Moto and they recommend a Power Vision tuner. If I didn't want to have a Fatcat I'd go with the Fullsac X pipe and baffles with a TTS already mapped. But it BLOWS when you spend all that money on a bike and can't install the parts you want unless you pay the dealer a premium price for the privilage of letting them work on your bike. Because they use the Warranty as leverage against you. I know you all say do it anyway the law won't allow that. From my experience and reading on lots of forums is Harley can just about do anything they want and there isn't much you can do unless you have very deep pockets and I don't. So I will just have to live with the heat and if the sucker has a melt down it will be on Harley as I couldn't make any modifications to save it. I refuse to pay an extra $1200 dollars to the dealers who do very little to help solve any issues that arise. Sorry about the rant, I'm just a little PO'd at the situation. Thanks for the replies, Rick
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 09:59:32 AM by wolverine »

lvse110se5

• Las Vegas Rick
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Ultra Classic
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 01:18:53 PM »

I have the TTS master tune with full sac baffles and the Andrews cams and I have never had a bike that ran as smooth   

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 02:14:50 PM »

:-\ :-\ :-\

I agree with the above statement. If you buy everything from Fullsac, baffles, header pipes, stage 1 and Mastertune TTS it is a great solution.

That said, Fuel Moto with either the PowerVision or the PCV (with or without the autotune) will send you a very good map to fit your specific setup, i.e. D&D etc.

I have Fullsac baffles, ceramic "B" header pipe, K&N AC from Fullsac and the PowerVision from Fuel Moto.  Best running bike I have ever had.  Although I have never changed the cams.

:coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

TwoToes

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Street Glide Black
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 12:34:32 PM »

I have the D&D 2-1 FatCats also. I went with the ThunderMax AutoTuner. It replaces the stock ECM and can be ordered with a map preloaded for your bike and pipes. No dyno is ever required. If you make more mods later it just self adjusts. If you dyno at sea level, I live in Calif, and ride to Colorado it self adjusts as you ride for the altitude. If you need to, you can reinstall the stock ECM and pipes for warranty issues (or smog checks if that ever happens like the government is trying to do in Calif). The ThunderMax is a little more money but with the cost savings on no dyno it equals out.

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 24 queries.