Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: How far can you ride?????  (Read 6903 times)

LONGRIDESHIELDS

• Vendor
How far can you ride?????
« on: May 18, 2011, 06:58:13 PM »

I was standing in my office with a couple of riders the other day and someone asked how long I could stand to be on the bike.

I told them I was a light weight at about 600 miles max in one day but that I had heard of a club that makes you drive 1000 miles in one day just to join.

We then wanted to know what the longest ride in any one day was...... any body know??????

Rumor is its about 1300 miles in a day but i have nothing to back that up with.

We figured since our company name was Long Ride Shields, that we should track down the owner of the record and give him a trophy and a new windshield.

kansaskim47

• Full CVO Member
Re: How far can you ride?????
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 07:18:18 PM »

:)

Check out the IBA (iron Butt Association). Their starting ride is the Saddle sore 1000, or 1000 miles in 24 hours.
I have done it once, 1057 miles in 18.5 hours along with 2 friends.

I'm sure there are some on this forum that have done more.

Kim

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 07:23:56 PM »

I did all my "long rides" in the 70's and 80's on my '65 pan. Still more comfortable in the saddle than the new ones! IMHO
I was a lot younger then, and wanted to show all the Beemers and GoldThings that a Harley would make the routes! Broke down once (after the run!). 8)
HOGMIKE

fresh oil and pipes

• Enjoying Life More Than Ever!!!!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • RedNecks, White Socks & Blue Ribbon Beer

• CVO1: One of the Fast Green Ones
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 07:30:09 PM »

We do a lot of 800 - 1000 mile days. 500 is like going after a loaf of bread. Longest was Chickasha, Oklahoma to Winslow, Arizonia and back (1628.7) in 23 hours 21 minutes raised a little over $6000.00 for a childrens charity planned it poorly hit the mountains in dark and it was cold even in June. Obviousley exceeded the speed limit was younger and crazier well younger anyway. Did not know about the ironbutt association then but did document it with fuel receipts and signatures and pics of all fuel stops.
"Let's Roll" Life is Short, Choose your Battles Wisely "Let's Roll"

Half_Crazy

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 08:00:35 PM »

I do 500 mile days routinely, but I have done 900 in a day and I was TIRED.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:55:10 PM »

There are a number of members that have done over 1000 miles non stop but most of us are getting to old for it now.  About 800 is the max for the wife and I and I don't want to do over 600 if I don't have to.

For an unknown reason, I can ride much further without getting sleepy than I can drive in a car before getting sleepy.  Don't know why that is except on a bike you're out there in the elements.....see, hear, feel and smell (sometimes the smell part isn't a good thing) things that you don't in a car.  Just more stimulation. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 08:59:05 PM »

In 1981, a buddy and I rode our bikes from Chico California trying to go non stop to Denver, CO.  We made it as far as Rabbitears Pass just out side of Steamboat Springs CO. It was about 2:00 A.M. when I dodged an animal in the road. I saw my buddies headlight bouncing up and down in the rear view mirror, and soon found out that the animal that he hit was a porcupine. Long story short, we stopped in the next town so he could clean his shorts, and spent the rest of the night on a bus depot bench, getting a little shut eye. . I do not know that exact mileage, but somewhere around 1100--1200 miles. I have since done a couple of 700 - 800 mile days, but in my old age, that will never happen again. 500 miles is about my max now days.  I am leaving on a fast trip tomorrow in my truck, but will be switching off driving with the wife. Going from Denver, CO to Medina, Ohio --  1340 miles and will not shut the truck off until we get there except to refuel. Will then immediately turn around pulling a trailer with a trike in it. Plan on two days to get back home. Not looking forward to the trip.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 09:01:13 PM »

I've ridden a few 800-900 mile days solo. When the wife and I are out on extended trips we tend to keep it under 400 a day - of course we're allergic to interstates and ride predominately on secondary roads with lunch and dinner stops, to us nothing beats taking your time. We'll spend all day to travel 350 miles.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 09:26:12 PM »

about 800 miles is my longest comfortable ride day when needing to find accomodation that evening and enjoy a good meal

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 09:36:19 PM »

600-700 miles isn't too bad at all except when the heat is 100+ degrees. 800-900 is doable unless it's too hot or windy but it's not what I'd call comfortable when getting off the bike.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 09:41:10 PM »

Did an iron butt ride about 9 years ago on a stock Harley seat, almost had saddle sores on my a$$.  500 or more is good in a day for me on my Corbin, could do more but why, I do it for enjoyment, when I am dead tired it is not enjoyable.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 09:44:10 PM »

700 is getting up there for me, bad weather or traffic or road construction will cut into that
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »

700 is getting up there for me, bad weather or traffic or road construction will cut into that
I agree, but 'age' seems to cut into it more than the other factors.  Just don't do the long day rides like before ...  seem to want to end the day on the road earlier and move on to the evening activities.  ;) har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 09:57:07 PM »

first big ride of the season was a 450 day and i felt great, the return trip ended in cold rain did feel so great
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 10:14:48 PM »

A few years back my wife and I rode our bikes across Utah & Nevada along Rte 50 (Loneliest Road in America) in one long day.

My wife was on her first rode trip on an Ultra (my old '97) and I was breaking in my new '05 SEEG.

Not sure how many miles it was, but I do still remember how sore my butt was... The '05 wasn't the only thing broken in!

As JC says, we're getting too old for those kind of miles and now we average around 500 or so on a good day.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.