Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Road Tech Zumo 660 Problems  (Read 18513 times)

gmills

• Full CVO Member
  • from the new jersey shore
Re: Road Tech Zumo 660 Problems
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2011, 04:38:02 AM »

I'm disappointed in the screen clairty compared to the 550 the 660 and 665 seem washed out

I've gotten used to mapsource and don't have many problem but have been using it for 4 or 5 years
moose aka glenn at the New Jersey Shore

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2011, 09:34:35 AM »

@Alesius:

as I suppose you speak German too you may look here for a very comprehensive alternative manual including tips how to "tune" the 660 a little bit.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

glenn bob

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2011, 09:55:55 AM »

Tcmbham

Don't know if this will help but the new 660 comes with a DC plug and back connector (for use in a car or what ever).  the connector that goes on the back of the 660 has an input the same as the one by the battery.  So you do not have to take the battery cover off to program the 660.
Glenn
Glenn bob

J-J

• CVO1: FLTRUSE 2011
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2011, 09:07:58 AM »

Tcmbham

Don't know if this will help but the new 660 comes with a DC plug and back connector (for use in a car or what ever).  the connector that goes on the back of the 660 has an input the same as the one by the battery.  So you do not have to take the battery cover off to program the 660.
Glenn

Hi Glenn @ all,
unfortunately this does not work, you'll get a message saying that you have plugged in the USB cable to the wrong port... So I am afraid the port behind the battery cover is the only one you could use to connect to a PC.

But I just liek to ask, if anyone has been able to use a standard Garmin 660 (not the RoadTech labelled one) with the HD Audio? I was not aware, that there would be differences and thought I could use the 660 I had with my RG - but  :oops:... voice does not come thru and Radio/CD, etc. not muted.
Does anyone know about a firmware tweak that will make that work?

If there are already tips out there, then sorry, have not been able to find them.

Thanks & greetings
Jens

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2011, 12:59:10 PM »

I found out Friday that the car mount doesn't help with transferring routes to the GPS...Mapsource does not "find" the GPS.

No, the regular 660 will not communicate through the NIM and interupt to give NAV directions.  It has to be the Roadtech version, as it sends a signal to the radio through the NIM to mute for directions.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2011, 04:01:26 AM »

But I just liek to ask, if anyone has been able to use a standard Garmin 660 (not the RoadTech labelled one) with the HD Audio? I was not aware, that there would be differences and thought I could use the 660 I had with my RG - but  :oops:... voice does not come thru and Radio/CD, etc. not muted.

your dealer should have known and told you
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2011, 06:02:10 AM »

Dealers know very little about the electronics on these bikes. I receive dozens of calls from techs and new owners asking how to connect the GPS so that the customer can listen to MP3, phone calls, XM and weather. They think all audio goes thru the NIM, some techs do not even know the bike has a NIM or what it is supposed to do or how to tell if it is working correctly or not they just go by what the Harley training guide says and that is what they end up telling the customers. They also tell them that you can make a phone call because that is what it says in the guides. But it says right hear in the book that you can make a phone call using the GPS and I say "as long as you are not moving and you do not have a full face helmet on". I have to convince them that the customer needs an HD Bomm in order to use the helmet microphone and they have to connect to the Auxiliary input port in order to hear any audio from the GPS other then a turn prompt. You can not depend on the sales person I had to show them and explain why at a local dealership before they believed me.

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2011, 09:29:56 AM »

Dealers know very little about the electronics on these bikes. I receive dozens of calls from techs and new owners asking how to connect the GPS so that the customer can listen to MP3, phone calls, XM and weather. They think all audio goes thru the NIM, some techs do not even know the bike has a NIM or what it is supposed to do or how to tell if it is working correctly or not they just go by what the Harley training guide says and that is what they end up telling the customers. They also tell them that you can make a phone call because that is what it says in the guides. But it says right hear in the book that you can make a phone call using the GPS and I say "as long as you are not moving and you do not have a full face helmet on". I have to convince them that the customer needs an HD Bomm in order to use the helmet microphone and they have to connect to the Auxiliary input port in order to hear any audio from the GPS other then a turn prompt. You can not depend on the sales person I had to show them and explain why at a local dealership before they believed me.

Jim
So right you are Jim.  And it is not just dealers - even experienced owners do not understand.  Acquaintance of mine insists that his stock bike with no HD Boom, etc, can make and receive phone calls and talk thought his headset mic using his Zumo which has bluetooth capability.  Obviously he has not tried this and I politely told him this was not the case but could see that he was firmly convinced so I just dropped the subject.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2011, 10:33:10 AM »

that may well be - but it's no excuse at all  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

J-J

• CVO1: FLTRUSE 2011
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2011, 04:30:34 PM »

Hi All,
so just sharing what I found out meanwhile from different resources, for the ones that did not know about it before (like me.... :o )

Harley required a special tone in the RT to work with the audio system, so the zumo does not, will never have that tone. And since nobody seems to have yet been successfully able to load the RT firmware on a native Garmin, I will also not invest more time and just go for a new one and sell off the Garmin.

Chz. Jens

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2011, 05:12:07 PM »

Hi All,
so just sharing what I found out meanwhile from different resources, for the ones that did not know about it before (like me.... :o )

Harley required a special tone in the RT to work with the audio system, so the zumo does not, will never have that tone. And since nobody seems to have yet been successfully able to load the RT firmware on a native Garmin, I will also not invest more time and just go for a new one and sell off the Garmin.

Chz. Jens

Probably the best/easiest course of action... :2vrolijk_21:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2011, 04:08:17 PM »

I got to use the 660 in the Jeep this weekend in and around Vancouver....I'm disappointed. My 6 year old TomTom with 3year old maps works better. The 660, between YVR and the Horseshoe Bay Ferry terminal recalculated more than 20 times (I lost count at 17...and it recalc'd a few more times). That's not so good, as it decided that I should have turned at the intersection I just went through.....a few times!....so, recalc again......

Turnoffs with street names that have had the same name for 100 years are wrong. Granville Street...that's a new street,right?

The only speed limit that it has displayed in Canada has been on part of HWY 1. TomTom does not do them all, but, probably almost half.

Lane assist does not acknowledge a lane as a turning lane if you have a choice of going straight or turning left( or turning right as well in some instances) in that lane......it kept me in the far left lane...waiting and waiting...until I got around the curve leading to the turn and could see the lane signs.

On Hornby Island, it had me drive right by the turnoff to the ferry that was a couple hundred yards away, around a curve so it was not visable from the intersection....and had me drive a big (6 kms) loop on a dirt road (with dirt road avoidance enabled) to approach the ferry straight on at the intersection I should have gone left at.

In downtown Vancouver, it is slow to update position and loses satellites often....the TomTom rarely does. Yes, I had both of them running for this comparison.

While sitting still at an intersection, it will change my heading direction, as if I am rotating in one direction....then the other........

Garmin customer service certainly was not much help. Suggested turning off off all avoidances....carpool, unpaved, seasonal, and u-turn is what was on. None of these should have been a factor anywhere I have had issues.....except maybe once it recalc'd after sending me through am intersection I should have turned at.....it might have had me attempt a u-turn during evening rushhour.

Yes, software and map was updated a couple weeks ago, shortly after I got the unit.

TomTom: $129 six years ago
Zumo 660: $509 a month ago

I sure wish TomTom made a motorcycle unit!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 04:44:06 PM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2011, 04:18:35 PM »

Mine has no audio volume what so ever, same level at 100% as 50% a bare whisper
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2011, 04:47:40 PM »

.......going through the settings, I found the 'map detail' set to high.......maybe it will help with the recalc'ing issues to set it to 'normal', if it allows the screen to refresh in a more timely fashion...here's to hopin'!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2011, 03:22:29 AM »

map details don't matter - at least with my (until now 2) 660.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 25 queries.