Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: what is the best tuner brand for 2011  (Read 7636 times)

myanoch

• Junior CVO Member
    • IN

• CVO1: 2011 cvo softail convertible
what is the best tuner brand for 2011
« on: June 07, 2011, 07:27:37 PM »

Is the Harley race tuner the way to go?
Can you make changes with the dealer getting  involved???
Mike

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Re: what is the best tuner brand for 2011
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 07:36:07 PM »

The SE Racetuner on my bike seems to work fine. In my neck of the woods...the dealer is the only place to get any changes/tuning done.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

myanoch

• Junior CVO Member
    • IN

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 07:50:35 PM »

What is the part #
Is that the street one or the race version
Mike

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 07:54:06 PM »

There is no magic when it comes to tuning devices.  And no, the SEPST is not necessarily the way to go.  The way to go is to determine if you want a canned map that approximates your particular bike and mods, a custom dyno tune, or perhaps one of the "auto tune" solutions.

If your choice is a custom dyno tune, then the best advice is to talk to the person you plan to have do the tuning and find out what tuning package he prefers.  You are basically paying this person to use a tool (the tuning software and communications interface) to tune your bike.  It needs to be a tool he is familiar with and comfortable using.  And the most important part of this particular option is who you choose to do the actual tuning.  He is the important ingredient, not necessarily the brand name on the device and software.

If all you want is a simple canned map you can download yourself, there are plenty of choices.  The SEPST has an optional CD that contains canned maps for some Harley combinations along with the software for your computer.  The same sort of thing is available from PowerCommander, TTS MasterTune, etc.

If you want an "auto tune" solution, there are many folks on the site recommending a relatively new product from Revolution Performance.  Do a search on this site for some threads. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 07:56:20 PM »

32109 08a

but mine is on a 2008 Ultra w/103
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 07:56:42 PM »

What is the part #
Is that the street one or the race version

Do not waste your money on the "street legal" version.  It will not allow you to change anything in the rpm ranges that fall under EPA rules, so you will get no improvements in part throttle driveability or high operating temps.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

myanoch

• Junior CVO Member
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 08:11:04 PM »

Thaks jerry sounds like the race one is the way to go
I wanted to get one and   add some exhaust and  be able to add acanned system till the next mod
little  short after buying the bike and having a 2009 big dog in garage  also
But I would like a unit that will able to grow with the changes down stream
I do all my own work and relly have no problem just wanted to know of the Harley unit is any good
Mike

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 08:37:02 PM »

The Screamin Eagle Pro Racing Parts catalog shows DVD's and cables to tune your bike at home. Does anyone have any experience using the SEPST to tune a bike?
Supershooter

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 08:37:50 PM »

SEPST and u can tune it your self, Software and cables required as well as a laptop, and there is a TRAINING video as well. I have the stuff, don't have any training, but hope to learn to use it!!! My dealer installed a new map with it and it runs good, but as I do changes like cams etc., I want to change my injectors settings. to keep up with it!!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 08:03:39 AM by petewerner »
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

Razor

• RAZOR
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010.5 FLHTCUSE5/BLK- #008
    • CVO2: 2011 FLSTSE2
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 08:22:30 PM »

Has any one tried the Cobra FI2000R PowerPro Tuner system?

"New patented technology unlike any other auto tune system on the marketli Tunes to exactly what air-fuel mixture creates the maximum power 80 times per second does not tune to some arbitrary AFR someone has picked. Creates that adjustment to maximum power on every squirt of the injector"
RAZOR

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 08:46:41 PM »

Has any one tried the Cobra FI2000R PowerPro Tuner system?

"New patented technology unlike any other auto tune system on the marketli Tunes to exactly what air-fuel mixture creates the maximum power 80 times per second does not tune to some arbitrary AFR someone has picked. Creates that adjustment to maximum power on every squirt of the injector"

Save your $500.  Doesn't use O2 sensors, doesn't use maps, isn't adjustable, and doesn't affect steady state cruise.

From their own sales pitch:
-------------------------------------------
"And that's not just at peak power settings; PowrPro delivers perfect fuel metering any time the bike accelerates, under all loads for full power and the ultimate in smooth and crisp throttle response. CVT--Continuously Variable Tuning. That's the key to the remarkable performance the Fi2000 PowrPro delivers. PowrPro uses electronic control technology that calculates the bike's rate of acceleration by reading crankshaft rotation at the flywheel and changes in load just as a dynamometer measures acceleration at the rear wheel.

That allows PowrPro to measure and adjust fuel flow during acceleration to the injectors in microseconds for super-fast fuel tuning--continuously and automatically! Net result: precise EFI tuning now happens in the real world in real time, nonstop--at up to 80 times per second."
-------------------------------------------

There is a lot more to a proper tune than some nonadjustable device that supposedly adjusts fuel to maintain the maximum rate of acceleration.  I'm sure they'll sell a ton of them to the nontechnical folks who believe sales pitches, but you can do much better for the price.

Jerry
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:08:54 PM by grc »

MyCVOHarley

• 2011 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 09:32:12 PM »

I have been in the market as well to get a tuner. I'm looking at the TSS or the power commander. Have not yet decided. The local dealer ( Fullerton Harley Davidson ) likes the power commander. Fullsac likes the TSS. If I get the TSS I have to ride 300 miles to have my bike tuned. BUT Fullsac seems to know there s**t.... I do have the 2 inch Fullsac Baffles installed. Vary nice and way cheaper then a whole exhaust system. Just need to get the header pipe Fullsac Has.
Fullsac 2" re-cores, Fullsac head pipe, TTS Mastertune, Cams on there way

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 05:21:28 PM »

I started to have a power commander installed at a bike rally recently.  The dyno people could not find a place to place the module or the connectors on my 2010 convertible.  There is no extra space under the seat.   After looking at the provided options ( above the shocks, in rear wheel well )  I decided to pass at that time.

Harley's tuner is removed after the tuning,  which avoids the placement problem,  but I believe that you must rely on a dealership.

Is this correct?

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 03:13:54 PM »

I have been in the market as well to get a tuner. I'm looking at the TSS or the power commander. Have not yet decided. The local dealer ( Fullerton Harley Davidson ) likes the power commander. Fullsac likes the TSS. If I get the TSS I have to ride 300 miles to have my bike tuned. BUT Fullsac seems to know there s**t.... I do have the 2 inch Fullsac Baffles installed. Vary nice and way cheaper then a whole exhaust system. Just need to get the header pipe Fullsac Has.

If you get the TTS, already have the Fullsac Cores, and add the X pipe, Steve at Fullsac can give you a map to load in your ECM that is really good, without Dyno Tuning.  If you have a laptop and are relatively well versed in how to use it, it's very simple to upload the stock ECM MAP (for backup purposes), then download Fullsac's Map.  I'm assuming you are talking about doing all this to a bagger and not a Convertable.  If you want to sqeeze out every ounce of TQ/HP, then get it Dyno Tuned, but Fullsac's MAPs are about as good as it gets without Dyno time.  This is what I did to my SERGU (no Dyno), and I am perfectly content with both performance and drivability.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

MyCVOHarley

• 2011 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 08:26:08 PM »

Thanks, Did you notice a big performance difference. I had a 2002 fat boy with just bolt on parts no inside engine work. I think the Fat Boy was faster then my SESG. My bike just feels sluggish. I think it just needs to breath. I'm thinking about doing the head gaskets and the cams from Fullsac after the warranty is up. But for new I'll try just the programmer and the head pipe. I found TTS is located about 20 miles from my house so I'm going to stop by this week. Thanks for your input. Only wont to buy one programmer so it's good to see what others have done.
Fullsac 2" re-cores, Fullsac head pipe, TTS Mastertune, Cams on there way
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 20 queries.