Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vibrationnnnn  (Read 3057 times)

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
Vibrationnnnn
« on: June 13, 2011, 10:43:27 PM »

I have recently noticed that when slowing for a stop on my '07 Ultra Classic if I disengage the clutch and coast I get a lot of vibration, the whole bike shakes. If I downshift and keep the clutch engaged I have no vibration. I even tried it around 50 mph and got the same vibration with the clutch disengaged, nothing unusual with it under power. Any ideas?

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Vibrationnnnn
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 11:43:23 PM »

I have recently noticed that when slowing for a stop on my '07 Ultra Classic if I disengage the clutch and coast I get a lot of vibration, the whole bike shakes. If I downshift and keep the clutch engaged I have no vibration. I even tried it around 50 mph and got the same vibration with the clutch disengaged, nothing unusual with it under power. Any ideas?

I hate to sound like a dealer, but I'd have to say that's kind of normal.

On both my last two new bikes, an '08 SERK and an '09 SERG, they both shake pretty good at a stop light with the clutch disengaged. That's exactly what your bike does if you pull in on the clutch and coast/brake down rather than down shifting and letting the motor slow you down.  As soon as you re-engage the clutch and load the motor again the vibration stops.

I will bet that more will say the same thing on rubber mounted touring motors. Now that's not for sure you don't have a broken front mount or a loose mount, but I'm still sticking "normal" for touring bikes.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:52:11 PM »

Thanks for your input Dan. I have been wondering if it has something to do with a recent change of head pipes from stock to true duals. Can't imagine why that would make a difference though. It may just be that I never noticed it before and now that I know it's there it keeps bugging me.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »

I have been wondering if it has something to do with a recent change of head pipes from stock to true duals.

Make sure your front head pipe is not rubbing the brake pedal.  Make sure the front motor mount is ok..  Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 07:34:06 AM »

Mine shakes way more at a stop than my Evo Fatboy ever did; kind of looks like a lowrider competition to see who can bounce their front wheel off the ground the highest.  There are times when I will crack the throttle to raise the idle a bit. 
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Half_Crazy

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 08:32:34 AM »

Mine shakes way more at a stop than my Evo Fatboy ever did; kind of looks like a lowrider competition to see who can bounce their front wheel off the ground the highest. 

Is it worse if you hold the front brake?

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 11:19:10 AM »

Make sure your front head pipe is not rubbing the brake pedal.  Make sure the front motor mount is ok..  Good luck and let us know what you find out.

The front head pipe was knocking the brake pedal slightly at idle with these new pipes. Looked like plenty of clearance when initially installed but the first thing I noticed was a foot massage from the brake pedal so I adjusted the alignment of the pipe. It may still be too close, guess that could transfer some additional vibration to the frame, hence the problem. Motor mounts appear to be fine, I'll see if I can get some more clearance between the pipe and the pedal. I thought when installing these Rush head pipes that the bend on the front pipe needed just a little smaller radius to give more clearance there. The heat shield is notched to clear the billet brake pedal on their SE version (the only difference from non-SE versions, by the way), that is how close it is. Thanks for the input!

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 09:01:01 PM »

I wish I could take credit on the fix but I remembered reading about the problem/fix on this fine site (with your pipes) at another time.  Happy it worked out.

hooligan

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: 09 XB12X Buell Ulysses
    • CVO3: 05 XL883C
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 10:09:16 PM »

I wish I could take credit on the fix but I remembered reading about the problem/fix on this fine site (with your pipes) at another time.  Happy it worked out.

This is a great site  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21: I developed a RPM related vibration a couple weeks ago on my 07 SERK looked it up on this site and I found the answer. I added highway pegs and that was the issue. I never would have guessed that . There is tons if valuable info here  :)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Razor Red
SE Heavy Breather
V & H Slip ons
Power Commander 3 usb
Diamond cut Cylinders and Heads
True Track
Chrome Inner Primary & Tons of Chrome

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 07:56:57 AM »

Is it worse if you hold the front brake?

Not that I've noticed.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 24 queries.