Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trials and tribulations  (Read 1788 times)

CVOpilot

• Junior CVO Member
Trials and tribulations
« on: June 14, 2011, 09:34:06 AM »

This is just FYI and might get long so I warn you in advance.... :coolblue:  But I post in part to vent, in part to inform, and in part for feedback...

So I was riding errands on May 19th just enjoying the sun when I heard an odd sound comming out of what seemed like the front cylinder...  TWEET TWEET TWEET  in rhythm with the RPMs... pretty loud..  But no engine light, and when I stopped, no oil leaking... Sounded like the compression release stuck open... But no loss in power and no source that I could see or feel blowing anything out of the jug!!??  And no exhaust leak....

I had just got the bike back from its 5000 mile service with all passing marks.

I called my dealer from the parkinglot I was in and one of the service guys listened to the noise over the phone after which he said...shut it down and get her towed here....  :(

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Trials and tribulations
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 09:46:24 AM »

And........ :nixweiss: ?

CVOpilot

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:48:27 AM »

I go to the dealer on the 24th to see what is happening with my baby and they say apparently something lodged in between the piston and the cylinder wall on the front jug.  It had come from the crankcase as the scoremark it left in the cylinder wall was below the piston rings.  They said HD wanted them to split the cases and clean out the block and find the offending particle(s).  There was also some 'varnishing" or scuff on the opposite wall of the bore as the score line.

Its funny...in retrospect the towtruck driver called it... After telling him what I heard he said it sounded like metal on metal piston the cylinder wall....maybe oil starvation??

So I am beginning to get concerned that whatever broke in the case or was left there when manufactured might cause all sorts of future problems...

I stopped back in later in the week and they showed me a little piece of what looked like a cereamic pebble that they found in the case.  Might have been metal but looked more like plastic or ceramic..  And that they were getting parts to put it back together.

CVOpilot

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 09:50:19 AM »

So I go back about a week later to see where we are at and the service manager comes over to talk to me...

This cannot be good, I think to myself....

They got her all together and went to start her and.....   SAME problem/noise in the rear jug!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 09:52:22 AM »

So I go back about a week later to see where we are at and the service manager comes over to talk to me...

This cannot be good, I think to myself....

They got her all together and went to start her and.....   SAME problem/noise in the rear jug!!

The second pic only shows the front jug off.  Though you'd written that Harley wanted them to split the cases and clean everything out.  Why didn't they do as Mother Harley suggested? 

CVOpilot

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 10:05:18 AM »

Over this weekend there were a number of calls to HD and the dealer from me and the service manager.  He finally talked to the regional rep and she apparently went to bat for me.
My call to HD customer support only revealed that there was nothing HD could do until the dealer found the problem.  I voiced my concerns about particles in the crankcase and they said the same thing... When the dealer tells us what is wrong we can make a determination..  And the dealer was telling me that their instructions were to find the problem.  But it was a unique situation they said as they could not track down the culprit... I can appreciate that....to a point!!  Nice riding weather was being missed and I still had the concern for the future reliability of the motor...
I called the dealer back and thats when they told me they had spoke with the Rep.  

This was getting pretty frustrating and worrysome for many reasons!  I think the dealer felt my pain (a lil anyway...) because they had called the rep.  It seems they were doing what they needed to do so I prefer to see this as "caught between a rock and a hard place" but I was about ready for some movement here....

So....and here is the happy ending....  As of yesterday they approved a new motor.....! Complete replacement...  :apple: :pineapple: :pepper: :jalapeno: :cucumber:

I should be back in business in a week or a little longer they say...!  I send my thanks to the manager of the shop for going to bat for me as I was getting no where with customer service....

CVOpilot

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 10:06:02 AM »

The second pic only shows the front jug off.  Though you'd written that Harley wanted them to split the cases and clean everything out.  Why didn't they do as Mother Harley suggested? 

They did... I just could not be there everyday!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 10:08:32 AM »

I should be back in business in a week or a little longer they say...!  I send my thanks to the manager of the shop for going to bat for me as I was getting no where with customer service....

Sweet!  A shame about the time lost.  But an acceptable conclusion for sure.

In any case congrats on the new motor.  Any mods done to the old one that you'll lose in the process?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 01:11:46 PM by Twolanerider »

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 10:41:29 AM »

Are they dropping the pan to clean it also?  I don't believe your bike has an oil cooler that may need to be cleaned.  Hopefully they will be diligent and clean or replace every path the oil takes within your bike...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

CVOpilot

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 12:29:54 PM »

Sweet!  Ashame about the time lost.  But an acceptable conclusion for sure.

In any case congrats on the new motor.  Any mods done to the old one that you'll lose in the process?

Bone stock motor so no losses there.. Was waiting for this season for pipes, tuner and such.  Guess I will have to wait till I break the new motor in!

And for the other comment about through cleanout of all oil passages I spoke to the service manager this am and he indicated that would be done. 

One more thing... If a moderator reads this I posted in the wrong section! I think my mind is going.... Could you move it to FLSTSE please..

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 01:06:25 PM »

I stopped back in later in the week and they showed me a little piece of what looked like a cereamic pebble that they found in the case.  Might have been metal but looked more like plastic or ceramic..  And that they were getting parts to put it back together.

[/quote]Not sure how HD de burrs there machined parts, one can only asssume they are tumbled in a ceramic media.  If so and the media gets small, it can lodge in tapped holes or just plain bored holes, if it cam e loose that could be the culprit.  If it was only one piece and they found it, you may never find another.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 09:05:54 PM »

hate you had such a problem with a new bike!! but glad to hear hd took good care of you. sounds like a good dealership.

CVOpilot

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 07:45:50 PM »

UPDATE - as of Friday the 17th the new motor was at the dealer!  I went to see it and my ailing ConV and should be back on the road middle of this week!!  :apple: :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :mango:

CVOpilot

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 01:10:17 AM »

Status update...

200 miles on the new mill...taking her easy and breaking her in per dealer/HD guidelines. Purrs like a caged lion wanting to be let loose!

Thanks for listening!

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 20 queries.