Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2003 SE Road King  (Read 18159 times)

Harely Race

2003 SE Road King
« on: June 19, 2011, 07:15:42 AM »

I am looking at the Gold Centennial on EBAY ending today in Alpharetta, GA.  I have heard that so many bikes are in this color they are somewhat soft on the market.  This one only has 7,000 miles and is in good shape.  Am I better off with this bike or something like a 2007 Street Glide for the same price?  The bidding on this bike is at $12,200.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: 2003 SE Road King
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 07:45:40 AM »

Welcome to the site from orange virginia.
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Rhetor

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:26:06 AM »

I am looking at the Gold Centennial on EBAY ending today in Alpharetta, GA.  I have heard that so many bikes are in this color they are somewhat soft on the market.  This one only has 7,000 miles and is in good shape.  Am I better off with this bike or something like a 2007 Street Glide for the same price?  The bidding on this bike is at $12,200.

Bought an 03 SERK two summers ago . . . wow!  Bang for the buck!

It was July 2009 and had my money down on a 2010 RKC.  Was looking to replace an 03 Fatboy that was totaled so was moving to a bagger . . . while cruising the internet, just wondering what 03 Fatboys were going for in the summer of 09, ran across an 03 SERK . . . remembered that anniversary bike . . . we'll, went on the hunt . . . found one on Craigslist with 3700 miles . . . drove 7 hours there and brought it home . . .

While I am now looking for another CVO . . . I will never let this bike go . . . it is one of the nicest paint schemes . . . and comes with the bullet proof 103 . . . one of the best engines harley ever did!  If it has been cared for, one of the best buys you can make . . . if you like the paint scheme and like the ride of the older frames.  Can't do too much to widen the back end (you can, but need to change the pulley, etc.) as on the newer frames have a wider rear, but . . . well, you have to decide for yourself about tradeoffs.

There were about 3,300 of the bikes made . . . we are now in the 9-10 year old category . . . seeing more for sale.  But, if you work on your own bike . . . you can have some fun with that too.  I am, and learning as I go.

All the best.

Look at total motorcycle link for all the specs:  http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2003models/2003models-Harley-Davidson-FLHRSEI2ScreaminEagleRoadKing.htm
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:28:22 AM by Rhetor »
2003 SERK
1975 Naked Wing
"What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 11:38:57 AM »

That's a real tough one.  I purchased the 08 SERK in the Annie colors.  Gold & Black, I didn't like it when I purchased it but figured I would learn to like it, never happened.  I just never fell for the color, at this point the value is low and used inventory was and still is high so I'll just wear it out and get what I really want next time.  At close to 60 in age I better wear it out before I do.  If it is no big deal go for it, if you have regrets it gets complicated.  One thing though, once I'm moving I forget about the color.  

Good Luck

Ray

jchamb

• 2003 Road King Screaming Eagle 100th Anniversary

• CVO1: 2003 Road King Screaming Eagle 100th Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 07:51:41 AM »

I dearly love mine!
I bought it (used) because I loved the paint job, and it always turns a few heads.  Mine had 18K miles and I paid 16,000 for it.  I think it's about the most bang for the buck you can get in a CVO.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 09:59:05 AM »

I am looking at the Gold Centennial on EBAY ending today in Alpharetta, GA.  I have heard that so many bikes are in this color they are somewhat soft on the market.  This one only has 7,000 miles and is in good shape.  Am I better off with this bike or something like a 2007 Street Glide for the same price?  The bidding on this bike is at $12,200.

You're basically asking others what you're going to like best?  That's the wrong way to partner up with a bike.

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 10:46:11 PM »

Saw an 03 SERK with 2900 miles on it at the Osage Beach Harley dealer for somewhere around $15K.  I think it had a chopped tour pack on it too.  Lot of bike for the money.
Steve

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 11:30:07 PM »

Wow low prices! I paid $30K for mine and my goal is to have $50K in it and I am close to that. I haven;t seen anything in the new ones that makes want to spend another $40K. If I only had one bike I might be more interested in a new one.
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 09:48:47 AM »

Local HD Dealer had and FLHRSEI2 in the showroom in July. I wanted it as soon as I saw it. I like Road Kings.
Mangaed to get if for $14,400. Rode it around 11K this year.
I recently got a respectable break on parts and labor, winter rates in ME.
I upgraded to Hydraulic Cam tensioners, Replaced Cam bearings, Upgraded to Auto Primary Chain tensioner, added a PCIII and had a dyno tune.
I now have $16K+ into it. It dynoed out at 90 ftlbs and 88.5 Hp. Still OEM CVO basically.
I like it before and I like it even more now.
If I want a Fairing, local HD Dealer keeps "Quick Detachable" Hoppe Quadzilla Fairings in stock and has paint shop that will match OEM Centnnial Gold and Feathers.

DR
Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' Eagle® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

sd1209

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 02:27:51 PM »

Just bought a 2003 SE RK, 11K miles paid 13K for it..Mint condition, V@H pipes and couple minor additions but basically stock.......

Rode it about 50 miles so far and love it...Sold an 08 Ultra and like this one more.......

Question:  It has the matching quick detachable top box..Was this an option for this year???

Steve C
Fallbrook, Ca
Steve C.
Fallbrook, Ca
2003 SERK

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 02:46:32 PM »

Just bought a 2003 SE RK, 11K miles paid 13K for it..Mint condition, V@H pipes and couple minor additions but basically stock.......

Rode it about 50 miles so far and love it...Sold an 08 Ultra and like this one more.......

Question:  It has the matching quick detachable top box..Was this an option for this year???

Steve C
Fallbrook, Ca

Tour packs were available painted to match for that bike....did it come with it when the bike was new?? Not from the factory, but could be ordered at anytime from the dealer.

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 03:01:59 PM »

Steve C
Fallbrook, Ca

Picture picture please?

I hope you like your 03 SERK as much as I like mine. Still in the process of filling my wish list.
I do not believe that the TP was and option. I believe that many odered the TP and had it painted to match. I have also seen them with the Chopped Pak
I have also seen 03 SERKs with matching fairings. I have done some checking with one of the local HD Shops. I can buy a Hoppie Quadzilla Quick Detachable fairing and have it painted to match. Est $2,000 ready to install. The beauty of that to me is that you can put it on in cold weather and easily remove it in warm weather.

My 03 SERK now has about 26K on it.
A few things to consider
1.) Entirely possible that around 25K those OEM CAM Chain Tensioners can self destruct. Some get more and some get less. I went ahead and upgraded to the Hydraulic CAM Chain Tensioer Plate.
2.) I had and issue with my Stator Rotor. Apparently some of the 1st half of 03 SERKs could have and incorrect Tq Value on the Compensator. Mine happened to be one. Luckily it only started to chew up the inside of the stator rotor . As soon as I hear the noise, I parked it. Apparently there was also a service notice to add a shim. Relatively cheap reapair. While primary case was open, I upgraded to the newer Self Adjusting Primary Chain tensioner.
I have been told the way to tell which half of the year is - Inside of Bags = Gray
3.) You may want to check the rear Exhaust manifold pipe from the cylinder. They have been know to have cracks inway of the two "Y's". Mine had 2 hairlines, one at each junction.
I went ahead and put in a PC III and had it DynoTuned, the only thing preformance wise I have done so far. TQ = 90 and HP = 88. IMHO that is pretty good for and OEM 03 SERK. It does have the K&N Air Cleaner, all else still stock.

I have no intentions of trading or selling my 03 SERK. Well worth what I paid for it.

Next thing for me will be Progressive Mono Tube Kit front and Progressive 940 Ultras rear.

Late Fall I will be looking to kick her up to 100+ TQ and HP. looking at DME TC590 CAMs and whatever else DME needs to do to heads.
Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' Eagle® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

sd1209

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 03:46:16 PM »

This tour pak appears to be from HD as it has the HD Quality Control sticker insde with the sig of the person who checked it with a  2003 date......

Will try and get some pics attached soon.....thx for the quick response....

Steve C.
30 SE RK
Fallbrook, Ca
Steve C.
Fallbrook, Ca
2003 SERK

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 07:37:52 PM »

I bought mine new and ordered the chopped tour pack from Harley. The only picture I have with it is for the Christmas Toy run and on the avatar.
Mikey
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

QSHOG

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 12:51:59 PM »

I just picked up a 03 SERK in January. The bike is great. I am changing a few things like the seat, mirrors and make the tour pack detachable but there isn't a lot more to do. All I need now is some decent weather to go riding.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 20 queries.