Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Oil Temp gauge  (Read 11702 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Oil Temp gauge
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 12:16:57 AM »

here is the latest version i found . top right guage in the faring. i put it(temp) above the oil pressure guage. needle is correct now and lighting also  but the ninny's forgot the "stop pins" for the limits.  only noticable  when machine is off.. 

So they're on version # 4 now (all with the same part number) and still haven't got it exactly right....  Outstanding  :huepfenlol2: !

Y'know what?  At least you can't damn them for a lack of perserverence  :oops: .

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 12:35:02 AM »

Somehow  I think its more a case of  covalant cactus juice  disrupting a translation of  a simple picture??? :drink:
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

golaith69

• 06 FLHTCUSE - BLACK CANDY CRIMSON
  • Full CVO Member
  • PLEASE STAND UP WHEN YOU ARE TALKING 2 ME
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 12:47:54 AM »

Jeff, look it over closely.  Unless the part has been updated it's still not a correct cosmetic mate.  Whomever designed them made the little gauge while looking at the speedo and tach rather than looking at the other little gauges.  Unfortunately the shape of the needle and needle stops are different for the big instruments than they are for the small ones. 

So rather than being a dead on match to the other three small instruments the new oil pressure gauge is a dead on match to the two large instruments.  And that's just the latest variation.  When it was originally released, all under the same part number, we witnessed three distinctly different versions of the gauge.  None were completely correct matches to the other instruments.  But hey, at least it means a guy had choices....    :huepfenlol2:

hello ;; twolane ,  yes  you are  rite ,  the  needle  does  fall  down  farther  than  the  rest  of the small guages..  but  it  is the  same  shape  as  the  others ...  i  quess  i  can  deal  with  the  falling  part  as  long  as  it  is  the  same style ,color , lettering ...  thanks , jeff
up grades - true duals , vance & hines slash cuts , power commander , KN super sucker -w/ chrome base , smart siren II w/ pager ,chrome inner primary ,engine lites ,L.E.D tail lites ,chrome windshield molding ,oil temp guage into fairing, speaker trim rings ,radio trim piece , etc.

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 10:00:18 PM »

OK, guys.  I'm ready to order and do the install but, when I look for the tech. info here it directs me to the old web site.  Any help in locating were it all went would be great.  Thanks,  Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 11:15:03 PM »

OK, guys.  I'm ready to order and do the install but, when I look for the tech. info here it directs me to the old web site.  Any help in locating were it all went would be great.  Thanks,  Let's Roll
Click here to get to old website.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 04:52:21 AM »

Hey Lets roll , I actually installed it where the volt guage was and thus above the pressure guage. put volt where rain guage was. I  put the temp sensor in the oil pan zip tied to the air cleaner side lower frame rail and up right tube into fairing.  :coolblue:
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2007, 10:28:59 PM »

Thanks for the help.  You guys are all so good is scary.  BUt still can't find the details on how to install.  If I remember right I read some were how do it and how not to do it.  I'm planing on take the air temp out and putting the oil gage in it's palce.  Let's Roll
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 10:48:59 PM by LETS_ROLL »
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2007, 11:16:01 PM »

Thanks for the help.  You guys are all so good is scary.  BUt still can't find the details on how to install.  If I remember right I read some were how do it and how not to do it.  I'm planing on take the air temp out and putting the oil gage in it's palce.  Let's Roll

Gabe, the gauge is a much easier install then the directions provided with it would make it seem.

First off don't put the sending unit where the directions say to.  Get a bushing/reducer for 85 cents from the hardware store and put it in the hole in the oil pan next to the drain plug.

Second don't wire it up like the directions say.  You've already got a hot and a ground wire at the gauge for the old gauge.  Just use those.  Don't need to string all that other harness from the battery or fuse block or whereever.  Then just run the leg from the gauge to the sending unit.

Good luck with it  :2vrolijk_21: .

SID8D2

• Keep the Shinny Side Up
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Let's Ride, Winter in the Midwest Sucks!!!!

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Black & Blue
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange & Black - Spooky
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007, 07:05:45 PM »

Hi guys;
 :confused5: and had to re-register. I bought a in dash oil temp gage and wanted to know the best way to install it in my 2004 FLHTCSE. I recall a few years back there was a thread that went in depyh on the install. Could someone give me a link to the original thread. I tried a link but it didn't take me to the thread.....Help
2009 Road Glide FLTRSE3 110ci;
Fullsac X-Pipe,
V&H Hi Output Mufflers,
Hawg Wired Dbl Shot,
Crank Welded, Trued, Balanced,
H-Beam Rods,
T-Man 110 Thumper Top End,
T-Man 662-2 Cams,
Woods Directional Lifters,
58mm SE Throttle Body,
TTS Mastertune, 
LePera Daddy Long Legs Seat, 
[img]http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4094.0;attach=138042;image[/i

SID8D2

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 08:56:52 PM »

Hey its me again, I found the 21 pages of info from the old post and got the two drain plugs dissassembled and will get a reducer fitting tomorow. Thanks for the old info :)
Fullsac X-Pipe,
V&H Hi Output Mufflers,
Hawg Wired Dbl Shot,
H-Beam Rods,
T-Man 662-2 Cams,
58mm SE Throttle Body,
TTS Mastertune, 
[img]http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4094.0;attach=138042;image[/i

SID8D2

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2007, 06:16:33 AM »

Hi, I put my oil temp gage on last night, But when I switched on the ignition the gage light did not light up. I wired the gage as per the instructions said. With the black wire connecting to the ground under the seat infront of the battery and the power wire connection to the fuse box with a 2 amp fuse. Tonight I will pick up a 12v tester so I can trace the power supply down. Any suggestions????

I removed the compass and all its wiring. I had thought about using the old compasses plug and just plugging the oil temp gage into the same plug that the compass was using, which is located under the seat in front of the battery.
Fullsac X-Pipe,
V&H Hi Output Mufflers,
Hawg Wired Dbl Shot,
H-Beam Rods,
T-Man 662-2 Cams,
58mm SE Throttle Body,
TTS Mastertune, 

SID8D2

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2007, 06:26:37 AM »

OK, Just for the record.....The gage installation is complete. Incase anybody is interested the reason I had no power going to the gage is because the power cable that was supplied with the gage did not have a tight fit in the fuse box plug. A little squeeze with the pliers and we had power.
Fullsac X-Pipe,
V&H Hi Output Mufflers,
Hawg Wired Dbl Shot,
H-Beam Rods,
T-Man 662-2 Cams,
58mm SE Throttle Body,
TTS Mastertune, 

pj57

• Senior CVO Member
  • Can't take it with you!!!

• CVO1: 2002 SERK Candy Brandywine
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2007, 06:27:33 PM »

This d*mn gauge is going to be my undoing!  I'll preface the following by simply saying I wonder why the Motor Company can't get it right the first or second time or in the case of the oil temp gauge - never! Check this out:  Asthetics aside, I decide to install the gauge because of functionality.  Thanks to the input from folks right here on this site, installation was 10x easier than if I had installed it using HD's instructions. So last week because I'm bored, I purchase the chrome gauge bezels for the speedo, tach and smaller gauges, including the new oil temp.  Easiest install you could imagine, right?...yep...until I get to the oil temp guage.  The bezel doesn't fit because the face of the oil temp gauge is slightly larger in diameter than the rest of the 2" gauges.  So now that I've got five of the six bezels installed, how do I remedy this?  For the next 3 hours I remove the outer fairing and the gauge and begin methodically grinding the chrome trim ring on the oil gauge. The moral of the story is you can get the bezel to fit if you've got a few hours to burn on a sunny afternoon Rediculous.  Okay, I'm done venting.  PJ
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 06:33:00 PM by pj57 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2007, 07:26:48 PM »

This d*mn gauge is going to be my undoing!  I'll preface the following by simply saying I wonder why the Motor Company can't get it right the first or second time or in the case of the oil temp gauge - never! Check this out:  Asthetics aside, I decide to install the gauge because of functionality.  Thanks to the input from folks right here on this site, installation was 10x easier than if I had installed it using HD's instructions. So last week because I'm bored, I purchase the chrome gauge bezels for the speedo, tach and smaller gauges, including the new oil temp.  Easiest install you could imagine, right?...yep...until I get to the oil temp guage.  The bezel doesn't fit because the face of the oil temp gauge is slightly larger in diameter than the rest of the 2" gauges.  So now that I've got five of the six bezels installed, how do I remedy this?  For the next 3 hours I remove the outer fairing and the gauge and begin methodically grinding the chrome trim ring on the oil gauge. The moral of the story is you can get the bezel to fit if you've got a few hours to burn on a sunny afternoon Rediculous.  Okay, I'm done venting.  PJ

Pete, not that I'm necessarily a saint on such things....  But.... sometimes......  if it ain't broke to begin with there's really not any reason to try fixing it.

This one is pretty lame though.  It's bad enough the gauge doesn't look quite like all the others.  You'd at least expect it to be the same dimension.  If it's not there should be a disclaimer on the new bezels:

"Fits 19XX to 20XX FL-whatevers with fairing mount gauges, except for the dumb-assed oil temperature gauge that we just can't get out of our ass with."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2007, 07:27:35 PM »

Oh, and Pete.....

:worthless: :worthless:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 24 queries.