Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: RE ticking lifters cvo110 oil weight ?  (Read 9143 times)

victtor

RE ticking lifters cvo110 oil weight ?
« on: July 02, 2011, 03:05:26 AM »

HI  i have just brought 2007 fxdse 110 CVO  11,000kms i notice when bike idles it quiet in top end ,but when revs go on sounds like lifters ticking i have changed oil with syn3 20/50
Has anyone tryed different weight viscosty oil that have shut lifters up bit?
Is it normal for these motors to have bit top end  sound if so has anyone done big kms with out problems with ticking lifters
Are these bike total lemons as alot people have told me ,is it every cv0 110 that hade engine problems i cut oil filter no metal and bike not use oil & and goes raped ape
regards
victtor
new zealand

gabbyduffy

• Junior CVO Member
Re: RE ticking lifters cvo110 oil weight ?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 11:45:56 AM »

HI  i have just brought 2007 fxdse 110 CVO  11,000kms i notice when bike idles it quiet in top end ,but when revs go on sounds like lifters ticking i have changed oil with syn3 20/50
Is it normal for these motors to have bit top end  sound if so has anyone done big kms with out problems with ticking lifters
Are these bike total lemons as alot people have told me ,is it every cv0 110 that hade engine problems i cut oil filter no metal and bike not use oil & and goes raped ape
regards
victtor
new zealand
                       How loud it the ticking? Is it unbearable?......

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 03:14:17 PM »

regards
victtor
new zealand
If your engine runs well and you only hear ticking sounds count your blessings, my 07 clattered so badly that no one would ride beside me.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 04:26:09 PM »

It MIGHT help to run a different brand of oil, like Mobil 1 Vtwin 20w50, Amsoil, or Redline.  Any of those are better lubricants than Syn3, IMO.

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

victtor

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 07:29:38 PM »

HI  thanks for replys hey it is bearable not real loud, queit at idle just when revs go on sounds like lifters ticking away,anyone every had a 07 cvo 110 that did not tick in top end when riding is this normal as all the dealers have told lot guys in this fourm, and how come the mobil 1 is meant to be a better oil then syn 3 with these bikes in what way ? less wear or make bike riun cooler and queiter?
Sorry about all the questions buy since reading this fourm im worried bout these cvo 110 motors if i had know they are  time bombs would have never brought one im stuck with it now had to get loan lol
regards
 victtor
 new zealand

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 07:57:12 AM »

Yes, that ticking sound you hear is the time bomb waiting to go off.  MoCo never did and never will admit they got it wrong the first two years on the 110.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 08:28:37 AM »

Change the lifters....
Bill

Big C.

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: Stardust Silver & Platinum Dust FLTRSE3
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 10:51:56 AM »

Try straight 50 wt.  It will help a little but not a cure all.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 11:00:35 AM »

vicctor, don't let everyone scare you to death.  Your description of the noise as "a bit of top end noise" doesn't sound like impending doom.  Harley's tend to be noisy even when everything is as it should be, and it's all a matter of degrees.  Since we can't actually hear what you are experiencing, I might suggest that you seek out a good local mechanic (not necessarily from a dealership) and have him take a listen.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 11:47:11 AM »

Victor...like Jerry said, don't let everybody scare you about the bike you bought.  And in my earlier post, I mentioned putting a different oil in the crankcase, like Mobil 1 20w50 Vtwin.  My personal experience with this is that it lowers the oil temps maybe 10 degrees F, and can make things a little bit quieter, but don't expect anything dramatic by changing oil brands.  It's just a better, less expensive, alternative to Syn 3, and generally readily available, at least in the U.S.

Were there some issues with the '07 110?  Yes, the main one being that there would be a small oil leak at the base of one or both of the jugs.  Basically, this was due to a pooly designed gasket.  Harley finnaly owned up to the problem and issued a recall...I think they called it an "enhancement" where they replaced most of the top end components of the engine with improved parts. Some bikes got new heads as well as cylinders.  It is likely that this has already been done to your bike, but it would not hurt to have the dealer look it up to be sure...there should be a record.  Or, you could talk to the person you bought the bike from (if it was an individual) and simply ask if it was done.  Some of the early bikes had problems with the rocker box covers not having proper clearance for the rocker arms, but that noise would be more pronounced than a "ticking" sound...more like a clatter.  Harley motors make noise, especially the larger motors like the 110's, and especially the valve train.  Some of those noises are indeed "normal".  We can't hear your bike, so mostly it would be speculation to say this or that could be wrong.

If you go to this page on the HD website and put your VIN number in, it should tell you if there is a recall on your specific bike.  I think it's still valid...all this was happening back in '08.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Owners/service-your-bike/service-recalls/service-recalls.html?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

If all that has been done, just ride the bike and enjoy it.  Engine noise is "normal"...you're sitting on top of it, after all.  You want noisy?  Listen to a Ducati with a dry clutch...sounds like marbles rolling around in the motor, but it's perfectly normal.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 12:31:08 PM »

see this thread for my explanation
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=63747.0

The 07 updates
The heads got better seals, that is the extent of the better parts. The rest of the parts are the same. They added press fit to the guides and added clearance so now the valves actually wobble on a new head.

The root cause remains the heat.
Same for the oil and head gasket leaks

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 02:10:28 PM »

I wouldn't change to a heavier wt. oil than the MoCo recommends for your motor.  OK if you wanna change to a different brand, but stick with a synthetic of the same viscosity, etc.  I'm sure the techs on here will tell you the same thing....those synthetic oils help with the high operating temps and to go to heavy wts. like 'old school' is not helpful with these new motors. spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

mud man

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 silver
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 07:05:07 PM »

I also had a ticking noise and I though yep normal clatter.  But then came new click in between.  Had the dealer's mechanic listen they said yep normal.  I said not.  Left the shop rode 3 miles it went clank clank clank!!  Bike is at the dealers now getting new cams and what ever else.  Got a look at the cams before I left.  Top part of the lobes were all pitted the size of a dime Can anybody tell me what causes that?  Their mechanic tells me to switch back to dino oil.  I went to Walmart and got him some Mobil 1 syn v twin. They didn't like seeing the Walmart bag.but i don't care a bike with 30 000 km shouldn't have problems like that what do you think? and oh by the way bike is stock
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 07:11:04 PM by mud man »
it ain't about getting to the grave in a perfectly preserved body it's about sliding in sideways saying  WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 06:57:30 AM »

I wouldn't change to a heavier wt. oil than the MoCo recommends for your motor.  OK if you wanna change to a different brand, but stick with a synthetic of the same viscosity, etc.  I'm sure the techs on here will tell you the same thing....those synthetic oils help with the high operating temps and to go to heavy wts. like 'old school' is not helpful with these new motors. spyder

Harley service manual refers to straight grades in ambient temps above 80*.
Scott

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 05:44:02 PM »

I doubt that heavier oil weight is any magic solution. I understand your concern but advise not to panic or get to paranoid. It is a four year old bike and not the best of years but that's what you got so relax and enjoy what you can.

I have ticking lifters in a big bore 103 kit in a 09 Road King and they have been making that noise for 20 000 miles now with no ill effects except fear on my part. I also have a Ford F250 with the 6.0 L diesel that have gone bad all over the place but not mine, yet.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 20 queries.