Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: A challenge for my CVO brethren  (Read 4342 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: A challenge for my CVO brethren
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 02:20:09 PM »

I can't really comment on the 1600 'cause I haven't ridden one...but, I've read nothing but good things about it, and it's probably at the pinnicle of touring bikes.  I did ride a 1200RT a few years ago, and was extremely impressed.  I've ridden a few Wings too, but could never really get my head wrapped around owning one, even though there is nothing you can really complain about.  I could definitely get into owning a BMW though...the only problem I have with them is that the seat is too high for me, and there's really no viable way to get it significantly lower.  While I do get some sense of satisfaction over other people "oogling" my SERGU, that really does not matter to me.  I do like tinkering with the bike though, and there would be little tinkering with a Beemer...in some ways that is a very good thing...buy it and ride it.  Keep it clean, of course.  ;)  Probably the best of all worlds would be to have a HD of whatever model to cruise around on, tinker with, make "your own", etc., and have something like the 1600 for serious touring.  The only downside to bikes like BMW or Ducati is the dealer network is not as extensive...however, the need for a dealer is probably less likely with either of those brands, though all have problems from time to time.  The analogy of riding on a "beam of light" is a good one...that's the way the 1200RT felt...I can only imagine what the 1600 feels like in comparison.  The local BMW/Ducati/Triumph dealer here has moved and changed hands...perhaps I will pay them a visit and get a test ride.  There is little doubt in my mind that the BMW would be superior in function to anything HD makes...form is a different matter.  Honestly, function is more important in a pure touring bike, IMO. I could see a 1600 in my future for serious traveling.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 02:59:44 PM »

If you haven't ridden the bike,
please don't speculate, opine, or compare and contrast what you haven't experienced. Just go take a ride and let me know what you think

See above.
We are not much for following directions are we?
I also have a lot of thoughts and opinions about this bike but Mark made a request and as soon as I get a chance to test ride one I will post what I think.

Until that happens---->  :-X

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 03:13:57 PM »

Looks juicy: 200 pounds lighter and 80 more or less hp decent tq curve...my belly would hit the tank so I couldnt reach the bars..jussayinzall..

Manufacturer   BMW   Model Year   2011   Model   K 1600 GTL (2012) 

MSRP   $23,200.00*   

DIMENSIONS 
 Length   98 in. (2,489 mm) 

Width   With Mirrors: 39.8 in. (1,000 mm)
Without Mirrors: 38.6 in. (980 mm) 

Weight   767 lbs. (348 kg)
Max. Permissible: 1,233 lbs. (560 kg) 

Wheelbase   63.7 in. (1,618 mm) 

Seat Height   29.5 in. (750 mm) 

ENGINE 
 Engine   6-cylinder, 4-valves per cylinder 

Horsepower   160.5 bhp (118 kW) @ 7,750 rpm 

Displacement   100.6 ci (1,649 cc) 

Bore x Stroke   2.83 x 2.65 in. (72 x 67.5 mm) 

Torque   129 ft. lbs. (175 Nm) @ 5,250 rpm 

Carburetion   BMS-X 

Fuel Capacity   7 gal. (26.5 l) 

Clutch   Wet multiplate, hydraulically activated 

DRIVETRAIN 
 Transmission   6-speed constant mesh 

BRAKES/WHEELS/TIRES 
 Brakes   Partially integral BMW Motorrad ABS
Front: 2-rotor disc, 320 mm, radial 4-piston fixed caliper
Rear: Single-disc, 320 mm, 2-piston fixed caliper 

Wheels   Front: 3.50 x 17 in., cast aluminum
Rear: 6.00 x 17 in., cast aluminum 

Tires   Front: 120/70 ZR 17
Rear: 190/55 ZR 17 

ELECTRICAL 
 Battery   12V / 19 Ah 

Alternator   580W 

OPERATIONAL 
 Maximum Speed   124 mph (200 km/h) 

Frame   Main: Chill-cast
Rear: Aluminum, extruded sections 

Suspension   Front: Dual longitudinal control arm
Rear: Paralever (single-sided swing arm), central spring strut, rebound / continuously variable 

OTHER 
 Colors   Mineral Silver Metallic, Royal Blue Metallic

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 04:30:28 PM »

it's a dream of a bike - as simple as that  ;)

It's just the perfect breed of speed & comfort - but I still will stick to my FLHTCUSE4   ::)

I'm just too old to go the straight, rational way. 30 years back I was a BMW addict, the R 100 RT was my bike. I'm still in love with her - but it's sort of a platonic love nowadays  ;D

A very good old friend of ours owned a 1300 GT and now has the 1600 LT after years on deuces and v-rods. His main initial reason to change over to BMW was his frequent travel to Ukraina, Russia and Belarus, bad roads and no H-D dealers. He still cries for his beautifull deuce whenever nobody watches  ;)

I do admire his high-tech bike and was just frenzied test riding the new 1600 - but even as my old FLHTCUSE4 is comparatively outdated and under powered - it's customized just to meet my wishes and on a nice and curvy mountain road our hot biked friend will not get out of sight however he tries to  :D

And when the night falls over our camp ground I really like to listen to his stories of failing tire pressure sensors or windshield motors in exchange to mine of failing cam bearings or faulty flywheels with a nice fire and a good single malt warming us up ...

If I could think up any plausible reason for a second or third bike to sell it to madame - after a wideglide a BMW 1600 LT would be my second choice.

But do as advised: take a test ride. It's really great fun and you will definitely get speed addicted  ::)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 05:08:58 PM »

Looks juicy: 200 pounds lighter and 80 more or less hp decent tq curve...my belly would hit the tank so I couldnt reach the bars..jussayinzall..

Manufacturer   BMW   Model Year   2011   Model   K 1600 GTL (2012) 

DIMENSIONS 
 Weight   767 lbs. (348 kg)
 Seat Height   29.5 in. (750 mm) 

seat height is about 3-4 inches too high for us vertically challenged types.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

mwg

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG "Beast"
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 05:12:44 PM »

Nice bike.. I Almost bought a beemer when I bought my SESG but I could barely reach the ground and I couldn't get comfortable. Of course the BMW sales guy said that you only need to put your feet down when you stop ;D
RLTW

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 05:22:25 PM »

I looked at BMW's hard before I bought my first Harley. I know they are hi tech precision machines. I just could never get into the look! I feel they are UGLY! JMHO! I don't care a bit about if other people like my bike or think its ugly. I customize my bike for me and me only! The rest of the world can go suck an egg! That's why I never enter my bike in contest or shows. I just really don't care about other people's opinions! The bottom line for me is when I walk into the garage she puts a smile on my face! That's all that matters!  

P.S. I had a close friend who owned a BMW and raved about it and constantly bashed Harley's! When I moved back to Ca. in 1989 I went for a ride with him and Blew his doors off with my 85 FXRS! That was the first blow. The second came when he called me to ask if I would take his bike to the Chico BMW dealer in my truck because it would not start! He sold it shortly after that and we are no longer friends! I think because of his embarrassment? Bottom line is no matter how high tech all motorcycles break down sooner or later? I still think BMW's are ugly as F**K! JMO  FACE OUT!
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 06:18:58 PM »

I'm afraid to ride one...I might like it and momma said I can't buy another motorcycle right now!
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 06:25:38 PM »

Terry had a good point about the lack of BMW dealers for service and repair.  Friend who has a Beemer needed rear brake pads while out west a couple years ago.  Had to go several hundred miles out of the way to get to the nearest dealer.  Yeah he should have been more careful in inspecting the pads and gotten new ones before he left.  But chit does happen and if you are in BFE when it does on a Beemer then you are SOL most likely.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 09:41:45 PM »

I looked at the K1300 last year and went for a test drive.  The rider position and lack of rumble were a concern.  I'm a sucker for engineering, and it had it in spades. I wasn't all that interested in an HD touring machine (I then owned a SE Springer). But then I walked in and saw the Spiced Rum and here I am. More money in a new bike than most people pay for a new car and more money in mods than most people pay for a used one.

You are asking a great and provocative question. I don't think you can separate the technical part of ride quality from the spiritual part of the experience. Not to be trite, but they unite in motorcycling.  And one's choice reflects a blend of all kinds of goals and compromises.  They include the gut, the heart and the head. And they include your choice of tribe (BMW, HD and even this forum). There isn't a wrong answer, but it takes you to very different places.      

I'm going to go test ride a 1600.  
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 06:15:08 AM by RPR50 »

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 11:48:59 PM »

Interesting responses all and thanks for your participation. A few clarifications, I'm not selling my Harley. I will continue to ride Harleys. I am a Harley rider. I like Harleys, others who ride Harleys and the Harley culture (for the most part). I don't believe that requires that a Harley is all I ever ride.

I like all motorcycles better than most cars. I even wave to folks on scooters. I believe there is room in this world for many purpose built bikes and I am trying to determine if the 1600 GTL is a great purpose built touring machine. I think it is but I am looking for other more experienced opinions. Experience would mean your have ridden both bikes. Out of all the posts in this thread, I count only two others that have actually ridden the beemer.

My goal here is to get reviews on a non Harley from experienced Harley touring bike riders. I would like to know what they see as the differences in the ride, the engineering, the handling, the comfort, and the long term rideability of this one other bike. It is not a condemnation of the bikes any of us currently ride. I understand that the Moco has very specific design and styling goals for the fantastic machines they build. I am sure both bikes have issues. I read on a fairly regular basis what the issues on Harleys are. I have been lurking on the BMW 1600GTL site and lo and behold, there are a few issues with the new BMW as well.

Just looking for actual riding reviews from folks who have ridden or would take the time to ride both.

Thanks and keep the posts coming!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:09:22 AM by Buy early »

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 03:22:05 AM »

My goal here is to get reviews on a non Harley from experienced Harley touring bike riders. I would like to know what they see as the differences in the ride, the engineering, the handling, the comfort, and the long term rideability of this one other bike ...  

ok, lets get more specific :-)

first of all when you sit on the BMW everything feels smaller, more lightweight, a little confined - but less stable too. At first it seems difficult for your feet to find the right position after taking them off the ground as evering seems so small, narrow and at the wrong place but you get used to it, it's more or less like taking out a Sporty or a V-Rod when beeing used to the E-Glide.

As the drivers position on the bike is already quite different - upper body more foreward, legs more behind and almost no room to move, you feel like just fitted into it - at least my wife doesn't like hers at all. I didn't take her on my test ride but she rode with our friend several times. She complains because of no room to move around, beeing more exposed to wind and rain and still having less sight ahead. She does a lot of photographs on the E-Glide but would not do so an the BMW.

Then your gear for driving a BMW should be different: no big boots because you are acting in quite confined space down there, tight fitting jackets as the wind blows into loose ones - and definitly a full helmet as the wind considerably drags on half helmets.

At first you feel like the bike is going to fall over any second to any side in slow speed but you get used to this quite quickly. First moves on the parking lot are still sort of a challenge  ;) But when you got the bike out to the street it feels extremely handy and - well for me fitting like a glove (but I'm 1.80 m and I think you should not be much smaller). The fun starts when you get into open country but beware: this bike does tempt you to speeding  ;)

It accelerates effortless and brakes brutally so be very carefull until you got used to that, you will lack the used feedback of sound and you will be going much faster than it feels for you.

The biggest difference is when driving at high speed at Autobahn. Doing 120 mph with the E-Glide is no problem but not comfortable enough to do it for any prolonged time - with the BMW you can easily imagine doing more than that for hours, the bike is rock stable and feels safe as a car at high speed.

All the technical gimmicks are nice to have - but it's like in a car: once you found "your" optimum position you will no longer need electrically moving seats, same with an electrically moving windshield and shocks will be tuned to as stiff as possible once  ::)

After some time you will probably miss the room to change your position as you got used to on the E-Glide, the glove - at least for me - than starts feeling a little too tight fitting. You will not move and look around talk to your BSR or have a smoke as much as on the Harley - but perhaps that fades when getting more used to the bike. On the other hand you will be more tempted into critical moves, closer overtaking, trying little silly moves - and ignoring speed limits.

After all doing 600 m a day with the BMW would be a faster but less relaxed trip I guess. And probably more dangerous despite the bike is definitely the safer ride - just because you will be more tempted to take it to it's limits.

That's about my summary but I must confess I only drove the BMW over a weekend for about 300 m and occasionally my friends bike for just some miles so my experience is quite limited.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

hogasm

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2011, 06:47:32 AM »

seat height is about 3-4 inches too high for us vertically challenged types.  spyder

Test rode one last year in Daytona :2vrolijk_21: nothing bad to say about it when in motion

Seat height...this would require boots with high heals :huepfenlol2:........but then again if I could come up with a boot that had a 4" heel without the tall heel look  ::).....the royalties would be so that maybe BMW would buy me out and those vertically challenged would get a set with a bike purchase :huepfenjump3:

just thinking out loud again :coolblue:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 07:03:02 AM »

Test rode one last year in Daytona :2vrolijk_21: nothing bad to say about it when in motion

Seat height...this would require boots with high heals :huepfenlol2:........but then again if I could come up with a boot that had a 4" heel without the tall heel look  ::).....the royalties would be so that maybe BMW would buy me out and those vertically challenged would get a set with a bike purchase :huepfenjump3:

just thinking out loud again :coolblue:
Takes care of the tall saddle issue, now what about the appearance?  :-\ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2011, 02:54:14 PM »

Takes care of the tall saddle issue, now what about the appearance?  :-\ spyder

Actually, I've always liked the looks of the BMW touring bikes...much more so than Goldwings.  Foot/knee position is always something I've read COULD be an issue on Beemers because your feet are on pegs and not floorboards, and your feet are basically in a direct line under your butt.  That could get uncomfortable for old knees after a few hundred miles.  Engineering?  No contest with regards to function of the mechanical/electrical parts of the bike.  Handling?  Again, no contest...better stock suspension, lighter bike, more responsive.  I don't have to actually ride one to know those things...they have all been givens for years, regardless of the model of BMW.

The bars, on the GTL model, appear to be in a nice position.  The seat height, on the GTL is not TOO bad, at 29.5 inches...still too tall for me, but not so for most.  From all independent reviews I've read, there are very few negatives about the bike...if you don't consider getting up to 100mph before you know it a negative.  ::)  160hp and 126TQ...no need to even comment on that one, and the TQ comes in at low RPM's, again, from the reviews I've read.

Again, I don't have to ride one to know a few things:  I personally like the looks of the bike.  I feel relatively certain that the seat, bars, electronics, luggage capacity, headlights, suspension, handling, and brakes are superb.  Two areas of concern:  Foot/knee position while riding, and would that be an issue over many miles in the saddle in a day's time...nobody's going to know that until they've been there and done it, so taking a test drive won't tell you chit in that regard.  If the bike needs some kind of service while on the road, how big of an issue will that be?  Probably not huge, since most major cities are going to have dealers, and one is rarely THAT far away from a major city in the U.S.  And the odds of that coming up are probably negligible. Here's a nice photo of the bike two up:  you can easily see the foot position of the driver.  And here's the link to one review: http://motorcycles.about.com/od/bmw/ss/2012-Bmw-K1600-Gt-And-Gtl-Review-Meet-The-New-Boss.htm
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 24 queries.