Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: A challenge for my CVO brethren  (Read 4341 times)

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
A challenge for my CVO brethren
« on: July 05, 2011, 10:48:25 PM »

Hey fellow riders! I have a challenge for those willing to spend a few hours trying something new. I've just finished my second test ride on the new BMW 1600GTL, 6 cylinder, 160hp, touring tour de force.

Now, I've never spent any time on an Ultra, a Road Glide or a Street Glide so I am not familiar with the Harley touring family. Always figured if I went there I would just become dissatisfied with my Wide Glide and being content with what I have is something I'm always working on. The other thing is I've just never been that excited about the styling of the big front wheeled bikes. Of the three, I am kind of drawn to the Road Glide and Larry B's Grey Ghost remains one Harley touring bike I do lust after.

With all that said, I was mightily impressed the first time I test rode the 1600 in Denver a few weeks ago but it was mostly in city traffic and it was my first time on a BMW tourer. Last weekend I got to spend some quality time out in the Minnesota countryside on another 1600 and I was blown away by the balance, power, smoothness, quietness, acceleration, technology, and design aspects of this bike.

I'll say up front, it's not a Harley. It is much less a visceral experience and more like being transported on a beam of light. The power windshield could quickly become a must have feature on any future touring bike I consider (and as I approach retirement, I will be strongly considering a long range tourer). I found myself cruising at 100mph before even shifting into 5th and it felt like I was glued to the road. This bike is nimble and handles like a 750cc sport bike. You can throw it around and not feel the weight or power overwhelm you. It probably is a bit different loaded and two up but my first impressions were extremely positive.

I would greatly appreciate the views of some experienced Harley touring pros and I know they exist on this forum.

BMW has an excellent program, seeding demo bikes at many dealers throughout the country that must remain demo bikes until December so you shouldn't have a problem finding one to ride in any major metropolitan area. Buying one is another issue. If you ordered today, you wouldn't see one until next summer. At $27K maxed out (GPS, ABS, heated seats, bluetooth radio and intercom, power centerstand and reverse, heated grips, removable saddlebags, power locking system, alarm, HAL the talking computer from 2001 Space Odyssey, etc, etc, etc), this bike also sets a new standard for price/performance. It is a bit plastic y, and any chrome accents are chrome covered plastic. No such thing as a 2 inch P&A catalog with options out the whazoo, no custom paint jobs, no flames, skulls, or metal flake.

The cultural chasm that separates the beemer from Harley is wide and deep but that is another discussion. I want to try to stick to performance, value, reliability, comfort over the long haul and sheer mechanical genius. I'll always have a Harley and can see myself always preferring to ride one just for the cultural aspect of the breed so it's not like I am abandoning America, mom, or apple pie. Just looking for opinions from some experienced long haul riders.

I don't work for BMW, own any BMW stock, date anyone working for BMW, drive a BMW car, come from Bavarian heritage, or prefer the Euro to the dollar. I get the HD heritage, muscle, culture, and soul so please, don't turn this thread into a USA vs. Europe or Harley vs. any other manufacturer diatribe. There's room on the road for all types of transport and I'm looking for experienced butts in the seats to give me honest feedback as to the differences between this bike and any one of the HD touring family.

Since I can't stand buying new and taking the first hit, I won't be in the market seriously for this bike for at least a few years. I could buy and drive a HD tourer for a few years while I wait for some of these to hit the used market if they are that much better.

I have more observations about the bike but I'll save them until a few folks have responded. If you haven't ridden the bike, please don't speculate, opine, or compare and contrast what you haven't experienced. Just go take a ride and let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance for your participation!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:10:27 AM by Buy early »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: A challenge for my CVO brethren
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 11:19:23 PM »

Buy Early,

I called the dealer in my area and found out that they paid the "penalty" to BMW and sold their "demo" bike.   Seems the customers were willing to pay the 5k over to get one now.    I am hoping Daytona will get another Demo, but they said it was unlikely. :nixweiss:
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 11:30:08 PM »

Mark, did you get a chance to ride it at night?  If so what'd you think of what they call their "adaptive headlight?"  Also, were you surprised at how narrow and small s that in line six cylinder?  Must be a very small bore with nearly siamesed cylinders.

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 11:36:40 PM »

"I'll say up front, it's not a Harley. It is much less a visceral experience and more like being transported on a beam of light."

They are truly cutting edge bikes, BUT you just summed it up - It's not a Harley.  I don't think I have ever read that a generational Harley rider ever tried to compare his beloved 2 cylinder, antique design to a modern BMW release.

You will never be able to "logically" justify buying a Harley over a BMW. BMW's are much more technically advanced bikes.

The question is very simple - are you a Harley rider or not?  If you are - you accept what we have, ancient designs that we try to keep advancing with copious amounts of money with minimal technology.

"I want to try to stick to performance, value, reliability, comfort over the long haul and sheer mechanical genius."  I, for one, can straddle my 2008 FLTRI and call it a day 700, 800 miles later.  I'm sure that that is common for BMW riders also. I also admit that both riders have the same feel of accomplishment at the  end of the day.  I don't think there is any argument that the BMW is cheaper, higher tech, and more "mechanical genius" than our American machines... But at the end of the day, when you pull up in the parking lot, it's not a Harley....it's just a BMW...

Bill
2008 FLTRI - 103, S&S 570 cams, SE cam plate, Ness Big Sucker, Woods lifters, GMR adjustable pushrods, Lozano Brothers heads, HPI 54mm throttle body mod, Supertrapp 2:1, SE compensator, BDL +1 clutch TTS tuner w/GMR Dyno, Ricor fork valves, Progressive 440's, Wild 1 515's bars, HID's, TrueTrack, J&M 71/2" speakers, Clearview +2, lots of other small stuff.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 07:39:49 AM »

I have not ridden one, but were I looking for another touring bike I'd ride the Kawasaki Concourse then the BMW.  If everything I've read about it proves true there is no doubt the 1600 would be my choice.  I hear the engines don't knock from day one.  If they have a demo at Sturgis I'll look into it.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 10:29:12 AM »

Mark, did you get a chance to ride it at night?  If so what'd you think of what they call their "adaptive headlight?"  Also, were you surprised at how narrow and small s that in line six cylinder?  Must be a very small bore with nearly siamesed cylinders.

Twolane, didn't get a chance to ride at night. 99% of the time, I'm off the road by dusk. Too many critters and my aging eyes don't like night driving anymore. I did read about the lighting system and it looks advanced. Someone else will have to comment. The motor is almost completely hidden by the body shell. A shame it isn't more prominently displayed as it is quite a work of engineering. They actually rotated every other cylinder a few degrees so the motor could be narrower. There are some good photos and schematics of it on the BMW website. My understanding is the fact that it is a 6 cylinder provides some sort of mojo resulting in a perfectly balanced, non vibrational nirvana. It is awfully smooth and has gobs of power and torque.

Glad you responded. My hope is that you will go get on one for a while and share your results. I would greatly value your opinion!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 11:00:58 AM »

Twolane, didn't get a chance to ride at night. 99% of the time, I'm off the road by dusk. Too many critters and my aging eyes don't like night driving anymore. I did read about the lighting system and it looks advanced. Someone else will have to comment. The motor is almost completely hidden by the body shell. A shame it isn't more prominently displayed as it is quite a work of engineering. They actually rotated every other cylinder a few degrees so the motor could be narrower. There are some good photos and schematics of it on the BMW website. My understanding is the fact that it is a 6 cylinder provides some sort of mojo resulting in a perfectly balanced, non vibrational nirvana. It is awfully smooth and has gobs of power and torque.

Glad you responded. My hope is that you will go get on one for a while and share your results. I would greatly value your opinion!

Mark, I rode one briefly several weeks back outside of Dallas.  Honestly there wasn't anything I didn't like about the ride. 

My ass didn't fit the saddle quite right.  But that was as much me as it.

Being used to the SEEG and the SERG the BMW's lighter weight made it feel like something other than a touring bike or cruiser.  The CG was such that with the lighter weight than I was accustomed to the bike could be flipped from side to side like a big toy.  The engine feels great.  Just loved the motor.  It's obviously a BMW in look and feel.  One has to accept that going in.  But it was a great bike.

I've realized for a long time that, given the disenchantment with Mother Harley, no new Harley was in my future.  Maintain what I've got or build my own.  So that if for some reason a new bike became necessary someday I'd likely be looking at a Wing.  After seeing this bike there would definitely be more choices to consider.

rganz

• Senior CVO Member
  • Do Unto Others----First

• CVO1: 09 SERG
    • CVO2: Fat Boy
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 11:05:50 AM »

"I'll say up front, it's not a Harley. It is much less a visceral experience and more like being transported on a beam of light."

They are truly cutting edge bikes, BUT you just summed it up - It's not a Harley.  I don't think I have ever read that a generational Harley rider ever tried to compare his beloved 2 cylinder, antique design to a modern BMW release.

You will never be able to "logically" justify buying a Harley over a BMW. BMW's are much more technically advanced bikes.

The question is very simple - are you a Harley rider or not?  If you are - you accept what we have, ancient designs that we try to keep advancing with copious amounts of money with minimal technology.

"I want to try to stick to performance, value, reliability, comfort over the long haul and sheer mechanical genius."  I, for one, can straddle my 2008 FLTRI and call it a day 700, 800 miles later.  I'm sure that that is common for BMW riders also. I also admit that both riders have the same feel of accomplishment at the  end of the day.  I don't think there is any argument that the BMW is cheaper, higher tech, and more "mechanical genius" than our American machines... But at the end of the day, when you pull up in the parking lot, it's not a Harley....it's just a BMW...

Bill

You hit it on the head Bill. I ride with a buddy who rides a BMW Tourer and must say that it is a nice bike to ride, more comforts than my 09 SERG but pull into a parking lot or stop at a set of lights  with him and watch the show :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock:
Rob
Rob

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 11:18:40 AM »

You hit it on the head Bill. I ride with a buddy who rides a BMW Tourer and must say that it is a nice bike to ride, more comforts than my 09 SERG but pull into a parking lot or stop at a set of lights  with him and watch the show :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock:
Rob

That's a part of the "Harley thing" that I could care less about though.  Even though we often tend to show off our toys within the group of friends here I can honestly say my bike is for my own satisfaction.  Could care less what anyone else thinks about it.  And when stopped somewhere would be completely happy if all the civilian lookee-loos just stayed the hell away.

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 11:32:18 AM »

My co-worker bought himself a newer used BMW touring bike and that bike was fast and smooth! I love my SERG and if I was to get a second bike to mine, a BMW or Ducati would be my choice.
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 11:43:24 AM »

I have looked at the BMW 1600, it is nice.  The Dealer did not have a demo bike, a good thing I think.

I'm afraid I would like it too much.

I could switch for my touring bike, but there is no way my wife will quit riding Harley. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 11:44:52 AM »

I think I'd be afraid to do the test I may like the bike and then have to buy one. Ignorance is best. :huepfenlol2:

If I do see the chance I will do it but I doubt I will search the out the bike soon. I'm not sure if we even have a dealer in the area. I did tell a buddy once that if I had to ride, not only for pleasure, I might choose a bike other than HD. Smoother, more quiet, more powerful with a softer ride is best for doing thousands of miles right?

Well then why are there so many loud assed softails????? :D

One more analogy for the hunters of the group. Why go bow hunting when a magnum rifle is more effective?

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 12:20:42 PM »

That's a part of the "Harley thing" that I could care less about though.  Even though we often tend to show off our toys within the group of friends here I can honestly say my bike is for my own satisfaction.  Could care less what anyone else thinks about it.  And when stopped somewhere would be completely happy if all the civilian lookee-loos just stayed the hell away.

Don I completely agree, my toys are for my gratification alone.  You have to admit though, like it or not, our bikes do attract attention.

Bill
2008 FLTRI - 103, S&S 570 cams, SE cam plate, Ness Big Sucker, Woods lifters, GMR adjustable pushrods, Lozano Brothers heads, HPI 54mm throttle body mod, Supertrapp 2:1, SE compensator, BDL +1 clutch TTS tuner w/GMR Dyno, Ricor fork valves, Progressive 440's, Wild 1 515's bars, HID's, TrueTrack, J&M 71/2" speakers, Clearview +2, lots of other small stuff.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 12:59:47 PM »

BuyEarly, what a big departure this move will be for you.  I've enjoyed watching you make your Harley YOUR harley....with ea. creative addition and the unique details all withing your 'theme' of personalizing your bike.  Will you be content to just ride the BMW as it will hardly lend itself to individualizing/customizing as you already realize.  For some, the move would not be a big a jump in this area as you note on this site that some like to just ride their CVO in it's 'stock' trim and really don't enjoy even cleaning it when dirty.  I'm thinking you're more on the other end of the sprectrum and might miss all that 'fiddling' with the scooter.  :) har.   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 02:16:56 PM »

If as in the old days i could only have 1 mode of transport & that had to be a bike it would not be an HD . As it is the whole bike/ lifstyle & new friends i made in 7yrs was the best thing ive done to date.

To answer the question you are probably correct go ahead make your choice or a brilliant 2nd bike i have no intention in giving up the key to good friends & social activity. JMO 
If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 20 queries.