Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Buying 2003 SE Road King  (Read 2717 times)

Klay

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Buying 2003 SE Road King
« on: May 23, 2006, 02:14:54 PM »

My local dealer has a 2003 SE Road King for sale. The bike has less than 700 miles on it and it's never been titled (it was the dealers bike probably like a demo). So, whoever buys it will be the original owner.

If I buy the bike it will be with no warranty and I would like to know of any issues with the 103" engine and drive train or the bike in general that I should have the dealer fix or check before I agree to the deal. Also what do you think this bike would be worth?

Thanks,
Klay

jachin72

Re: Buying 2003 SE Road King
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 09:30:43 PM »

Welcome to the site Klay [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

I'd be worried about a 3 1/2 year old bike sitting around more than driving around.  But you will be happy with one if you get it.  I got mine a month before the '06s came out.  It had 7,004 miles on it.  I concentrated on how the bike was taken care of and got to see all the service records on it, plus knew the owner for a long time, so I trusted him.  Bottom line, he drove it "moderately" and if it had a big problem, he should have found it.  Before you settle on a price, check the ebay listings.  They are selling at a big discount lately.  I wish they were bringing more, but there you go [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
As for the engine, I'm not smart enough to comment good or bad, only that I'm impressed with the 103" as a production engine and very happy [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Steve

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 09:40:57 AM »

Klay,
      The bike is worth somewhere around $21,000 in stock original condition. You can find them on E-bay all the time in that range and there have been some listed with similar mileage as the one you are looking at.  If you are buying this bike from a factory authorized Harley-Davidson dealer, there is no way you should not be able to purchase a warranty. I am not sure about the original factory 12 month warranty that comes free with any new bike, seems like if they are selling it to you as new, it should be offered, but I do know that by paying the price, you have to be able to obtain either a new bike warranty or a used bike warranty through the Harley-Davidson Extended Service Program (ESP) If your dealer will not offer you a warranty then there is something seriously wrong with this deal. I bought my current 03 SERK from San Diego H-D. It was used and they had it on consignment. I purchased a 5 year used vehicle warranty for aprx $1,900. I have already covered the cost. If you do decide to buy, you should get the following along with the bike. Not getting all of these items is reason to further barter for a lower price.
A) Rider's backrest
B) Passenger backrest
C) CVO indoor cover ( with stowage bag )
D) Detachable smoked low profile windshield
E) Gold CVO Key (only year these were included and not an option)

Lastly, I would call Harley-Davidson customer service and explain everything as told to you by this dealer and ask them for their opinion of the following Be up front and honest and give the dealers name and any other info the folks at the factory ask you for.
A) The dealer is selling me this bike as new - - Is that correct ?
B) The dealer is not offering me the free factory 12 month warranty- - Is that correct ?
C) How should the dealer sell a "demo" vehicle ?

Big B
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 09:54:02 AM by SPIDERMAN »

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 09:55:22 AM »

Also, with only 700 miles on a 3 (almost 4) year old bike- that's ALOT of sitting still.  Our SERG was like that, 1600 miles after 2.5 years.  I've replaced numerous seals and cables AND probably should replace the injectors- they're moderately gummed up even though they've been soaked in a cleaner.  If the dealer won't include a warranty AT NO CHARGE, walk away.  There's a member here (badboy52) who has an 05 SE fatboy with 22 miles on it.  He's considering a different bike.  If you're interested, that may be a good one to check out. (I don't know him or his bike, only saw his posts.)

I definitely agree with Spiderman's suggestions. Call HD and get some response as to why, if the bike hasn't been titled, it wouldn't come with at least the original warranty.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 09:57:15 AM by arcticdude »
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Klay

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 09:33:19 AM »

Thanks for the advice guys.

I would look to buy one from an individual because I feel I could get a much better deal but I currently have a bike that I'm going to trade.

They mentioned I could purchase a warranty for the bike but with as much as they are asking for it I'm going to try and get them to include it. It's supposed to be cleaned up and ready today so I'm dropping by after work to check it out again and finalize or walk away from the deal.

Thanks!
Klay

Klay

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 01:10:45 PM »

I ended up backing out on the SE because it still had some major problems after the dealer cleaned it up. But on a good note I picked up a 04 Ultra Classic (Fireman's Edition) Friday with tons of extras. The guy put everything on it to make it look like a street glide. So I get the sleek look for short rides or I can put the big seat, tour pack, fairings and tall windshield and go on a trip. So far I'm very happy with it. Thanks again for the advice.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 01:24:48 PM by Klay »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 02:08:46 PM »

Klay,
Sweet looking ride. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] BTW you are probably going to get asked this a lot, so I'll start here. Are you in the fire service?

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Klay

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 03:26:26 PM »

Thanks!

No, I'm not in the fire service, but I love that fire engine red!

BTW your bike is very sweet too. Wish I had a 103 on mine.  :'(

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 03:31:31 PM »

Thanks!

No, I'm not in the fire service, but I love that fire engine red!

BTW your bike is very sweet too. Wish I had a 103 on mine.  :'(
Thanks. Heh, if you want a 103ci all it takes is a few $$$$$ [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Nasty Habit

• Full CVO Member
  • Starting Dec. 22nd, you can say Summer's Comming
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 09:18:06 PM »

One last note on the '03 SERK. The first year of the 103" saw a tensioneer problem. Mine ate two until I opted out for the gear-drive cams. Other than that, my baby has 34 K miles (I didn't ride almost a whole year too) and she has performed flawlessly. I have do major modifications. My only complaint is that shge runs hot. I only bought mine for the engine. If I could do it again, I'd like that new , I think it is 120" or 121". Just keeps getting bigger and bigger.  I gotta' agree with everyone that sitting around time is usually worse than mileage. I think you did the right thing with the F'man's Special. I'll tell you this. I goit pissed when the next year, the SE Glide came with a ton of more stuff, and it lkisted at a grand less than this bike. Guess it's that anniversary edition that screwed us all who bought it. I can't wait to get to Cripple Creek, and see all the others. I think there will be 12 all toll, and that's gonna' be impressive.
NH
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, cold beer in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and yelling WHO, HOO! What a Ride...

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 12:38:04 PM »

My local dealer has a 2003 SE Road King for sale. The bike has less than 700 miles on it and it's never been titled (it was the dealers bike probably like a demo). So, whoever buys it will be the original owner.

If I buy the bike it will be with no warranty and I would like to know of any issues with the 103" engine and drive train or the bike in general that I should have the dealer fix or check before I agree to the deal. Also what do you think this bike would be worth?

Thanks,
Klay

If the bike is new (never titled) then it's NEW and it should have come with a warranty regardless.  
If the bike is NOT new, then it's been titled and you shouldn't be paying top dollar regardless of miles.  I agree with what someone said.  I'd be somewhat concerned for a 3+ year old bike to only have 700+/- miles on it.  I'd be sure and really question the dealership where this bike was and how it got 700 on it and wasn't titled?  Sounded a bit fishy to me.  
I'd really watch that dealers reputation if they were trying to sell you an "untitled" bike as new yet it had problems.  Glad you got the new scoot though.  Cheers,  [smiley=drink.gif]
J
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 12:41:20 PM by sooiee »
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 07:50:43 AM »

Thanks for the advice guys.

I would look to buy one from an individual because I feel I could get a much better deal but I currently have a bike that I'm going to trade.

They mentioned I could purchase a warranty for the bike but with as much as they are asking for it I'm going to try and get them to include it. It's supposed to be cleaned up and ready today so I'm dropping by after work to check it out again and finalize or walk away from the deal.

Thanks!
Klay

Kevin Im just curious how much they were asking for the 03 SERG and also why if it had only 700 miles ...would they have to "clean" it up?

Bama
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 07:51:25 AM by BamaHarleyDude »
" Why Johnny Ringo ...you look like somone just ..walked across your grave"

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 07:55:14 AM »

Welcome to the site Klay [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

I'd be worried about a 3 1/2 year old bike sitting around more than driving around.  But you will be happy with one if you get it.  I got mine a month before the '06s came out.  It had 7,004 miles on it.  I concentrated on how the bike was taken care of and got to see all the service records on it, plus knew the owner for a long time, so I trusted him.  Bottom line, he drove it "moderately" and if it had a big problem, he should have found it.  Before you settle on a price, check the ebay listings.  They are selling at a big discount lately.  I wish they were bringing more, but there you go [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
As for the engine, I'm not smart enough to comment good or bad, only that I'm impressed with the 103" as a production engine and very happy [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Steve

Steve just curious what are the 03 CVO's selling for on average in stock or close to stock ....average condition?

Bama

jachin72

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 08:57:52 AM »

Bama,

Seeing them in the low 20's all the time on ebay.

Steve

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 09:10:55 AM »

Steve Low's 20's is not so bad .... but why do you think the value has fallen off?

Scott
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 20 queries.