Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: New Rotors  (Read 2662 times)

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
New Rotors
« on: July 11, 2011, 12:41:14 PM »

My fronts are warped and I'm out of warranty..., so I gotta get new ones and don't feel like replacing them again and again.

I'm leaning towards LRB composite. Lotta money, but they say they'll never warp, wear, etc..

I've been trying to order them for a few days now and nobody will answer the phone so I looked into other brands.

Rivero Primo has Metal Matrix, less expensive, but note in JP Cycles says wont work with ABS? Asked JP and they don't know.

Gonna call Primo later and see if they can answer.

Before I blow the bank on either, does anyone think they're really that much better, no dust, no warp, yadayadaya.

If not what's better than the HD "floaters" that are on there and work for 08 with ABS?

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: New Rotors
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 12:52:50 PM »

You might want to check out Lyndall Racing Brakes.  They've gotten some excellent reviews here.   

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 01:20:09 PM »

Yea thats what I was referring to by LRB, thanks. The thread by the vendor got me in their direction b/c of the %20 off, but I can't get through to them.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 01:38:30 PM »

Just got off phone with Rivera Primo and their new Metal Matrix composites do not work with ABS bikes, they think b/c they're smaller diameter. So there goes that route.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 02:21:59 PM »

Ended up making contact and ordering the Lyndall composites and red pads for front and just Z pad, no rotor, for rear. Mentioned the site and got a very good deal, I'll report back next week.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 02:33:38 PM »

:vrolijk_11:

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 04:06:51 PM »

Ended up making contact and ordering the Lyndall composites and red pads for front and just Z pad, no rotor, for rear. Mentioned the site and got a very good deal, I'll report back next week.

I have them and have put approx. 25K miles on them.  This is how they look after those miles.  Absolutely no brake dust and stopping power is much better than stock or their Z pads for sure (had the Z pads before switching to the composite rotors)
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 04:38:03 PM »

Just an FYI to be sure as you proceed.  A few of the newer bikes with presumed bent rotors have had wheels that weren't true.  Don't misunderstand; plenty of rotor problems also.  But if the wheel isn't true no rotor in the world is going to feel right.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 04:45:33 PM »

I have them and have put approx. 25K miles on them.  This is how they look after those miles.  Absolutely no brake dust and stopping power is much better than stock or their Z pads for sure (had the Z pads before switching to the composite rotors)

Thanks Pete :2vrolijk_21: buyers remorse slowly fading :)

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 04:50:07 PM »

Just an FYI to be sure as you proceed.  A few of the newer bikes with presumed bent rotors have had wheels that weren't true.  Don't misunderstand; plenty of rotor problems also.  But if the wheel isn't true no rotor in the world is going to feel right.

I considered that, but they've felt good up until recently. I would think that if the wheel wasn't true I'd have had problem earlier on.... I'm hopin so anyways.

Nothing like troubleshooting by replacing til you find whats broke, plus I really like the no dust factor. It'll be nice to see my shiny rim even if it is wobbling down the road ;D

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 05:34:55 PM »

Mounting the best rotor known to man on an out-of-spec wheel will not create a great outcome, so don't overlook Twolane's post.  Definitely make sure to check the rotor mounting surface for flatness and runout when you remove the old rotors.  When dealing with Harley's parts, never assume the stuff is even close to being right.  There have been a lot of defective wheels floating around in the past few years.

BTW, I loved that commnent from the genius from Rivera (they think b/c they're smaller diameter).  Gotta give ya a lot of confidence when the folks who sell the stuff don't know a basic thing like what their part actually fits.  For future reference, '07 and earlier Touring models had 11 inch rotors.  In 2008, Harley changed to the Brembo setup and 300 mm rotors on the Touring models.  That's roughly 11.8 inches.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 10:02:04 PM »

Mounting the best rotor known to man on an out-of-spec wheel will not create a great outcome, so don't overlook Twolane's post.  Definitely make sure to check the rotor mounting surface for flatness and runout when you remove the old rotors.  When dealing with Harley's parts, never assume the stuff is even close to being right.  There have been a lot of defective wheels floating around in the past few years.

BTW, I loved that commnent from the genius from Rivera (they think b/c they're smaller diameter).  Gotta give ya a lot of confidence when the folks who sell the stuff don't know a basic thing like what their part actually fits.  For future reference, '07 and earlier Touring models had 11 inch rotors.  In 2008, Harley changed to the Brembo setup and 300 mm rotors on the Touring models.  That's roughly 11.8 inches.

Yea I wasn't too impressed with tech support answer on that one. I mentioned that in JP it says under fitment that it will work with SE models made 08 and later, then a different note says will not work with ABS.

I told him that and he said if you got the ABS option on your SE it won't work. I said it wasn't an option, they all came with them after 08, then it was IDK maybe they're smaller

Jerry

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 02:35:47 PM »

It's not an ABS thing Pete, the same rotors are used on ABS bikes and non-ABS bikes.  Strictly a model year and wheel issue.  Some Harley wheels use a different mounting point for the rotors and don't have the separate carrier common to most rotors.  If you go to the wheels section of the Harley catalog, you will find different style rotors required for certain wheels.  But you will also find that there is no distinction between ABS and non-ABS.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 06:35:45 AM »

It's not an ABS thing Pete, the same rotors are used on ABS bikes and non-ABS bikes.  Strictly a model year and wheel issue.  Some Harley wheels use a different mounting point for the rotors and don't have the separate carrier common to most rotors.  If you go to the wheels section of the Harley catalog, you will find different style rotors required for certain wheels.  But you will also find that there is no distinction between ABS and non-ABS.

Jerry
well maybe primo should be doing more homework if they wanna sell their products

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 12:23:23 AM »

new rotor
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 24 queries.