Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FXR4 seat ergonomics  (Read 2165 times)

Sputnik

FXR4 seat ergonomics
« on: July 17, 2011, 09:56:23 AM »

I have an FXR4 with what I assume to be the original drag bars. I am 6ft tall with normal arm length. I can reach the bars, but after several hours on the road, I can feel the stress in my neck and shoulders from reaching.  I have a problem with reaching the bars due to how far back the stock seat puts you. I really dont want to change the bars. Has anyone had any luck with the aftermarket seats? I noticed a Harley Badlander seat on Ebay, but remember from another bike that the Badlander wasnt very comfortable. Your thoughts?

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

• CVO1: fxr4 screaming yellow
    • CVO2: fxr2 stone cold blue
Re: FXR4 seat ergonomics
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 10:29:49 AM »

Badlander is not comfortable. I have Mustang on my fxr2 and its very comfy, sits you up little higher. Most folks change bars on fxr4's to the bars of the 2, and 3. which are much better. Just hold onto the stock ones for resale. Comfort means alot to most of us.

Hank Hankerson

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 03:56:43 PM »

Agreed, the FXR4 seating position is subpar at best.  One of the things we have in the works is outfitting our FXR4 with the 2011 XL1200 Custom's lower part of the riser.  They pull back roughly 2 inches, but still keep that for the most part stock look and clear the tank gauges.  No change in the triple tree is necessary for this swap.  There are two different bolt lengths that can be used, so I will post the actual length/part number of bolts when it is completed.  Also, we went with a 2011 XL1200 Custom stock chrome handlebar.  They are about 2" rise also with more pullback and they feel slightly wider than stock.  You can utilize the same handlebar top clamp for this application.  It also modernizes the look of the front end slightly without making it look "Custom".

We also have on order a LePera Maverick seat.  They have 7" of back support and utilize a steel seat pan rather than fiberglass or plastic.  You do have to change over to the previous hinged style saddle, but the ease of access to the oil tank and battery are well worth the investment in the parts.  This conversion to hinged costs $205.00 (not including the saddle.)  We'll post picks of both when completed.   

FXR4Jay

• Swamp Dweller
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 08:13:40 PM »

I went with Sportster Bars and ISO Grips on mine .. While Loved the Drag Bar Look but my Back didn't care for it at all .. While doing the swap put all the wiring Internally as well for a much cleaner Look ..  With the New Bars, Grips, Mustang Seat and Memphis Slims 17" Shield Can ride 500+ Miles with ease now ..

Took me long Enough, but finally got my Dream Bike

FXR4NUT

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 12:01:42 PM »

If I'm not mistaking, your stock saddle is a "Badlander" of sorts specially made for FXR2s, 3s and 4s.

FXR4NUT

Hank Hankerson

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 09:16:05 PM »

Lately I've been putting a lot of miles on mostly on the highway.  Still got the stock seat (custom Le Pera is on order), and the XL1200C custom bars are on backorder until the 8th of this month.  I've actually found it more comfortable to ride with my feet on the passeger pegs and laid out over the tank.  Far less wind fatigue, far less foot vibration, bike handles better and is less affected by wind, etc.  Maybe I should put on some clip-ons.  Ha ha!

JonnyD

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 09:31:03 PM »

If I'm not mistaking, your stock saddle is a "Badlander" of sorts specially made for FXR2s, 3s and 4s.

FXR4NUT
[/quote
Not sure on the 4, but the 2 uses a badlander and the 3 is completely different. The seat on my 3 is very comfortable, and also gives good back/butt support. So good, I lucked upon a new take off on flea bay and jumped on it, for a back up. I find the 3's riding position very comfortable, in stock form. My 08 Road King was a far cry from ergonomically correct out of the box.

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 20 queries.