Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra - Engine heat is unacceptable  (Read 19215 times)

stealth

2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra - Engine heat is unacceptable
« on: July 19, 2011, 09:16:42 PM »

Ok, I was told by this forum and by several dealers the heat issue with the CVO engines was solvable. I have removed the lowers and installed fullsac stage 1. Much better, left and right side are about even, but still not acceptable. I traded in an '09 road glide, so it is not that I am unfamiliar with these bikes. I am seriously considering getting of it. Any additional thoughts on resolution or how to best approach HD on this, please help me. The dealer still had my '09. 

Thanks,

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra - Engine heat is unacceptable
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 09:22:08 PM »

Other then removing the lowers have you done anything else to the bike?? Removed/replaced the exhaust (or at least removed the catalytic converter in head pipe), added a tuner to get more fuel to the motor, changed the intake to allow more air in??

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 09:31:41 PM »

Ok, I was told by this forum

Told by this forum?

You mean you read here that members posted that they solved their heat issues.
There is a wealth of info here about solving heat issues.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 09:33:41 PM »

I'm taking mine in tommorow for another dyno tune because I increased flow in my exhaust. Before making this change it seemed to run much cooler. That's not to say it ran as cool as my 2003 Deuce.

Vance & Hines Dresser Duals
Vance & Hines Hi-Output Slipons (Quiet Baffles recently removed)
Power Commander V Tuner
Removed Lowers
Installed Black Plastic Harley Frame Mount Heat Sheild ($75)

I agree that these things run a little hot. But with the quiet baffles installed it was very tolerable. Most times I was not even aware of "the heat issue".

From what I understand, the richer the tune the cooler they seem to run.

Good Luck!
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 10:23:31 AM »

I'm taking mine in tommorow for another dyno tune because I increased flow in my exhaust. Before making this change it seemed to run much cooler. That's not to say it ran as cool as my 2003 Deuce.

Vance & Hines Dresser Duals
Vance & Hines Hi-Output Slipons (Quiet Baffles recently removed)
Power Commander V Tuner
Removed Lowers
Installed Black Plastic Harley Frame Mount Heat Sheild ($75)

I agree that these things run a little hot. But with the quiet baffles installed it was very tolerable. Most times I was not even aware of "the heat issue".

From what I understand, the richer the tune the cooler they seem to run.

AFR at Idle on mine 13.5, seems to works well, good tune is  a must to keep it reasonalby cool , especially now

Good Luck!
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 03:37:59 PM »

Not just AFR, but proper VE, Proper timing, all combined with AFR and eliminate the cat and restrictive baffles will help...
"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

zbig1nak

• 2015 FLTKSE CVO Limited

• CVO1: 2015 FLTKSE-CVO Limited
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 10:29:32 PM »

Check out complaint filed with NHTSA/ODI regarding this issue.  Complaint#:  10415917.
I agree that there are "fixes" to this problem.  But, why should the buyer bear the burden of "fixing" it?
I can only speak for myself, but I paid good money for a touring bike that won't burn the hide off my leg.  I don't mean just
sitting at a traffic light---I mean traveling at highway speeds!

zbig1nak

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 10:45:29 PM »

Check out complaint filed with NHTSA/ODI regarding this issue.  Complaint#:  10415917.
I agree that there are "fixes" to this problem.  But, why should the buyer bear the burden of "fixing" it?
I can only speak for myself, but I paid good money for a touring bike that won't burn the hide off my leg.  I don't mean just

zbig1nak

I wholeheartedly agree that a customer shouldn't have to spend a small fortune to make a bike rideable.  But unfortunately that has been an ongoing issue for a lot of years and somehow H-D gets to skate on the various safety as well as customer satisfaction issues most of the time.  I strongly recommend an extensive road test before buying one of their bikes so there will be no big surprises about all the so-called "normal" crap. 

Maybe Harley will see that folks are getting tired of this heat issue and pull one of their usual "fixes".  Expect to see heat shielded riding jeans in the motorclothes catalog any time now, for only $139.95.  Harley has never come across a customer complaint they couldn't find a way to profit from.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sled dog

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 05:52:41 PM »

It was 105 degrees today in Southeast Texas. I rode from 12 noon til 4 pm. I think I've finally found the right combination to be able to enjoy my CVO. Fulsac's Xpipe and Cores along with the AFR tuned in to 13.5 with the TTS. I removed the lowers and wrapped the head pipes with header wrap. Seems like a lot of work and expense to be able to ride a $ 30k bike but I love this bike. I hope this info helps someone with heat issues.
2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red/Slate Black
Fullsac X-pipe 2.25" cores TTS Mastertune

2008 FLTR 103 V&H True Duals
Custom Solo Seat

Hx3

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - Blue
    • CVO2: Not CVO - 2008 Crossbones
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 06:03:52 PM »

My stock 03 is considerably hotter than my completely stock 11 SEUltra. Rode 250 miles yesterday in 100 degree weather with no issues. Not sure why the differences between bikes.  :pumpkin:

dadof2

• MS
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 07:19:19 PM »

My 1st dealings with the heat and the TC motor was an 03 soft tail.  A friend of mine had the same bike and same setup. While on my 1st extended trip with it, the heat was awful. I stopped and got a temp gauge and started checking temps. My friend had no complaints with his. We put the temp gauge in his and he was running same temps. I don't remember what it was.
I later got an 04 ultra and after a couple years I returned from a trip and swore I wouldn't get another HD until the heat was fixed. Both these bikes were stock with aftermarket mufflers.
While I was without a bike for a while I spoke to a friend who had opened his own shop. I asked if he could cool these things down. Oh Yea, so I buy my 1st CVO, 08 CUSE and sent straight to him. He did all the stuff that everyone does. Guess what? This thing was hot too.
I think maybe different people have different heat tolerances. I have friends that say their bikes don't cook them but when I get on it, it cooks me.
Had a guy that wanted the 08 more than me and I sold it. Got myself a 10 CUSE. I threw whatever money necessary at this thing to cool it off. I don't think my legs can tell the difference between 230 and 260. It's hot.
But that "Harley Mystique" thing won't let me go. That's why I've been reading that topic, trying to figure out why I keep coming back.
By the way, the 12s are out. I think I'll go get one so I can complain about it while I wait on the 13s and start all over.     

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 12:42:59 PM »

zbig1nak

I'm really interested in the response to your NHTSA/ODI complaint. In my view, the problem is caused and exacerbated by the overly lean jetting and catalytic converter required by EPA regulations. To fix the heat, you've got to make the bike EPA non-compliant. The day is not too far off when that option won't be available to us. That's why I believe water cooling is inevitable.

Removing the CAT and dyno tuning the bike (along with mid-frame heat deflectors) worked pretty well on my '10 SESG.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 01:50:39 PM »

I just got my bike's tune finished up with Russ @ Lonewolf Performance Tuning yesterday....a noticable difference in temperature. The bike was quite lean before...lean enough to ping....I have read here that more fuel cools .... apparently it is so!
As a side note.....bike runs WAY better...no ping, pulls harder, easily cruises at 2200, can use 6th at under 80 mph.
The uncorrected #s from Russ's dyno may be a bit lower than the dyno sheet from (???) HD dealer in Oregon....but the improvement in drivability and the 'seat of the pants' feel is astounding!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 04:04:12 PM »

The following was cut/pasted from another post. I too have done the Jet Hot Sterling coating. I think it helped reduce the heat, my wife says it's still too hot for her. There is quite a bit of heat coming off the right hand side down low. Doesn't bother me though. But get the catalytic converter out of there. It just holds the heat and bakes----that's it's purpose, and it does it's job well.

"My approach to the overheating problem on my 2009 SE Ultra Classic:

1.  Remove cat from exhaust header
  2.  TTS Mastertune
  3.  Fullsac 1.75" CVO cores
  4.  SE Ventilator air cleaner
  5.  Jet Hot Extreme Sterling ceramic coating on exhaust header
  6.  Amsoil 20W-50 synthetic V-Twin engine oil
  7.  Lenale engine and oil cooler fans
  8.  Fairing mounted  oil temperature gauge.

This set up has completely eliminated any heat issues both to the engine and the rider / passenger. I do a lot of two-up touring with a full load of gear and heat was a big problem with bike in stock form. After changes the bike runs great with plenty of power, and good fuel MPG. I control the fans manually with the accessory switch, based on oil temp gauge readings (on at 230 deg) . Only needed in stop and go traffic but saves the day when stuck in that mess  (prevents ETMS from kicking in and shutting off the rear cylinder). Must admit, a lot to do to an expensive motorcycle to make it perform correctly but well worth the effort.
Tom P. "
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

customryder

• Senior CVO Member
  • I'LL be your Huckelberry.

• CVO1: fxr4 2000 orange
    • CVO2: flhtcse 2004 blue/black
    • CVO3: CVO3 2005 elecrta glide CVO4 2009 roaglide CVO5 2012 roadglide skunk CVO6 2013 cvo roadglide atomic orange
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 12:50:15 PM »

are you using the rear cycl cut off by twisting the throttle forward?  just curious..
2009 cvo road glide...2007 streetglide...................... cvo member #513
2009 f-350 Harley edt.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 20 queries.