Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gas cap issue, anyone else?  (Read 1557 times)

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
Gas cap issue, anyone else?
« on: July 23, 2011, 11:10:02 PM »

On the 3rd day of a 7 day 3000 mile trip I filled my tank as usual. Filled it to the bottom of the tank neck. Went next door for lunch and had to park on a slight downhill grade. It was 97 degree's. I don't know if the gas expanded because of the heat or what. But when I went outside to get on the bike I noticed fuel seeping out around the cap and what I guess is the clear coat coming off the outside seal of the cap housing (Not the tank). Retightented the cap and away I went. Soon as I picked up speed, gas started the blow out around the cap and in my face. Stopped by a HD dealer and they couldn't figure what was wrong. The o-ring is good and so are the threads but the cap is very slightly skewed. Did the heat somehow warp something? Also, on the fifth day the pop up part of the cap won't pop up anymore without a serious fight. Anybody?
 Gary

Dadkids

Re: Gas cap issue, anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 11:21:11 PM »

I would say it was the gas expanding, specially if it only happen that once.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 11:49:21 PM »

I did not have this happen but where the o-ring on the cap makes contact to the inside of the neck of the tank i have notice that the metal is exposed. Almost like the rubber lining is ripping. I will have the stealer check it out on Wed. when it goes in for service.

Did this happen to yours? Maybe the o-ring is not sealing properly.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 02:54:19 AM »

You have a similar gas cap now, that we have on the 07 Springers, over the years on just a few occasions I have had some gas fly out from the cap area as you described after fill up, on each occasion I pulled over removed and refitted the cap and all was ok again. On each occasion I had probably overfilled the tank to get those few extra miles.........
I would agree that the gas expanded due to the heat, so I try n remember on travelling days to fill up at the end of bum break / coffee stop / pee break, therefore not having the problem of the bike standing with fresh cold gas in the tank!

KKM

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 09:10:32 AM »

"remember on travelling days to fill up at the end of bum break / coffee stop / pee break, therefore not having the problem of the bike standing with fresh cold gas in the tank!"

Good advice...but now I am worried...
Does Switzerland have a summer heat wave? Is My fantasy of mid summer in the Alps and still needing a sweater, false?

09:00 in Roswell, Georgia and 75F (~24C)...My wife was in Montreal last week with temps of 40C. Glad we have AC here.
Kevin

FLHXSE2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 BLK/OR
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 09:13:43 AM »

You have a similar gas cap now, that we have on the 07 Springers, over the years on just a few occasions I have had some gas fly out from the cap area as you described after fill up, on each occasion I pulled over removed and refitted the cap and all was ok again. On each occasion I had probably overfilled the tank to get those few extra miles.........
I would agree that the gas expanded due to the heat, so I try n remember on travelling days to fill up at the end of bum break / coffee stop / pee break, therefore not having the problem of the bike standing with fresh cold gas in the tank!

I agree on that last sentence. Never fill the tank till after you take a break and don't fill it and park it at home. Gas in the ground is approx 55 degrees and when warmer air , let alone the sun hits it it's going to expand. When it expands it's going to take the easiest path to relieve it self, a vent, a gas cap gasket, etc.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 09:36:59 AM »

Good advice...but now I am worried...
Does Switzerland have a summer heat wave? Is My fantasy of mid summer in the Alps and still needing a sweater, false?

09:00 in Roswell, Georgia and 75F (~24C)...My wife was in Montreal last week with temps of 40C. Glad we have AC here.
Kevin

Well this years weather can be described as anything but normal.  we are thinking of putting the heating on in the middle of July, current temp at 3pm only 16°c, Here near Zurich,   next week it could be back to 26°c again   go figure!
Actually It can be alot warmer in the mountains, as you^re closer the sun   lol

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 09:41:19 AM »

A properly designed fuel system does not spew fuel on the rider (that would be cause for a safety recall btw), and a cap that isn't defective doesn't allow fuel to escape around the gasket instead of the vent system.  Other people reported similar problems in the past and had gas caps replaced, which fixed their problem.  Perhaps you guys need to look into that as well.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jcd520

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 01:09:07 PM »

I have had this happen as well on a couple of occasions and I suspect the gas might be seeping from the filler neck , not where the cap seals inside it. In other words coming from between the tank and the part that extends down into it . I think it comes up underneath the lip that laps over the top of the tank --------any thoughts from anyone on this theory?

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 02:00:52 PM »

Regardless, it should go out the vent tube and under the bike.  Something is defective.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

GaLonghair

• Full CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 09:45:29 PM »

For what it's worth, this has been a problem for these caps since '07. H-D has recently designed a new, stronger unit that it is supplying to owners that have the older all plastic units if they fail. You dealer should be able to get this new cap for you.
Lead, follow or get out of the way. But, do something!

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 20 queries.