Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HK Radio Riser Bolt Damage  (Read 1292 times)

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
HK Radio Riser Bolt Damage
« on: July 25, 2011, 03:05:33 PM »

Just received my HK radio (09 SEUC) back from repair at Iron Cross Audio. They attached a sticker indicating that the internal damage was caused by contact of the radio with the handlebar's front riser bolts. Sure enough, the bottom of the radio showed two worn out areas where the radio was sitting on the two bolts. Heads of bolts and fairing bracket mounting holes needed some alteration to gain some clearance between the bolts and the radio chassis. They also advised to look for cracks in the fairing mounting brackets that the radio is attached to. None found, but I had added an additional brace to those brackets previously.
 The product improvement program continues!!

Tom P.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: HK Radio Riser Bolt Damage
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 04:07:55 PM »

They put out a bulletin on that some time back, but of course they don't notify customers just the dealers.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 09:38:05 PM »

They put out a bulletin on that some time back, but of course they don't notify customers just the dealers.

Jerry

:furious3:  And the service manager "knows nothing about it" (bulletin). And the ESP won't pay because the repair was not done at HD. And yes, the problem was with the CD player which caused the other functions of the radio not to work. Where does it stop? It doesn't!
 But I am pleased that it was repaired quickly and professionally by Iron Cross Audio and that they gave me the heads up on the bolts and since I did it myself, I know it's now properly installed.
 Thanks Jerry for your reliably correct info. Priceless :2vrolijk_21:

Tom P.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 09:39:39 PM by SIX38 »

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 10:01:02 PM »

Tom--did you get those special bolts??  If not I have an extra set you can have it you need them to put the bike back together. I could run them out to you one afternoon this week if need be.

Mike

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 10:19:55 PM »

Thanks Mike for the generous offer. Not knowing about HD's service bulletin and the replacement bolts, I simply torqued down the bolts, marked the side of the head that was hitting, removed bolts and trimmed some metal on my bench grinder. Have about 1/8" clearance now. Next time I have the fairing off, I"ll change the bolts. We are overdue for a little cruise and perhaps a stop at "The Maples" for a cold one! I'll call you tomorrow.
Thanks again.
Tom P. 

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 24 queries.