Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: long distance riding  (Read 3129 times)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
long distance riding
« on: May 29, 2006, 06:56:19 PM »

looking for thoughts on distance riding, as cripple creek draws near some of us have some loooooong days of riding to look forward too.

we intend to cover a minimum of 700 miles a day 3 days in a row simple math says 10 hrs at 70 mph. but the reailty is the longer your are on the road and the faster you are riding the more fatigued you become.

would you try and haul ass for 2 hrs at a time doing 75-80mph and stop long enough for gas?

or

would you ride more conservitively doing 65-70 and stoping for a few minutes each hour to strecth and grab water and a snack?
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Re: long distance riding
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 07:50:58 PM »

My typical long day:
Ride 80-85 for the first tank, don't stop
Depending upon the road and/or how I feel, I continue at that speed but start taking breaks at about 80 miles or so to get off, stretch, drink, etc.

How I feel determines when I start doing half tanks...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 08:01:41 PM »

Anyway you do this, you are going to be hitting the road before sun up, and riding to past sundown. [smiley=nervous.gif] Those will be really long days in the saddle and you will have no trouble going to sleep when you park at night.

Longest day I've ever had was about 800+ miles. We only stopped for gas/snacks/bathroom breaks, and rode from 8/9 AM - 11:30 +/- PM that night. When we checked in motel and unpacked the stuff we needed for the night it was straight to bed. I also found out that day that you could fall asleep while riding a scooter. :o That was the longest break we took, long enough for me to drink a large coffee @ McDonalds to wake me up.

If I had it to do over again I think I would have started that days ride earlier (5:30 AM at the latest), took more breaks, and got better rest the night before.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Canuck

• Senior CVO Member
  • "True North strong and free"

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 08:08:16 PM »

Whenever I ride for long periods (all the time!) I usually try to make good time when the conditions permit.  Inevitably, on a long run, I run into somthing that slows me down like construction, weather, twisty roads, a bakery, etc.  I try not to set an average speed because this prompts me to keep up with this speed even if conditions suggest slowing down.  So, I tend to post high speeds when the road is long and straight!  I also take a break only when I am getting gas.  This kills two birds with one stone.  I also practice stretching my legs and flexing them to keep the blood circulating.  One tip though, I always stop for a break before entering a large city because this gives me a chance to get my legs back and renew my alertness in anticipation of city driving.  I am also preparing for three 700 mile days on the way down.  Let's get there safely!

Canuck
Crazy Canuck

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 08:15:34 PM »

My preference if riding w/ a 'few' bikes is more frequent stops that are 'quickies'......ie: never miss a chance to take on fuel and pee.  Applying a new coat of sun screen and a quick drink and back in the saddle......no loitering/shopping/ big, lengthy meals w/ lines at bathroom and checkout, etc.....that's where you lose your time.  Also, the more frequent, shorter stops gives everyone a chance for the quick walk-around-look-see of the scooters for imminent problems.  I know, these are CVO Harleys and not suppose to have stuff falling off/ coming apart/ leaking/ etc.....but the best break at times, esp. when 'pounding out  those interstate miles.  JMHO+ personal experience.  :)Har!  [smiley=drink.gif]spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 08:27:20 PM »

Hit the road early AM so that you can get off the road by early evening.

Going from east to west I think you'll have a couple time zones to cross that'll give you a couple extra hours.  Going the other direction will be just the opposite but you'll have your riding butt under you by then.

Long distance, my first day is always the worst.....second day is a little better......from third day on it's just "another 100 miles" all day long.

I stop only for gas but I get off my bike to fuel up vs. sitting on it.  Usually down a Gatorade or water (in the summer) to stay plenty hydrated and carry another with me, as I pull out, to drink on the road.  Keep an ice chest in my tour pack. Carry energy or protein bars in my windshield pouches.

Be sure to eat three meals a day (see the meals recommended by the Iron Butt Riders in another thread) ........even when you think that you aren't hungry.....it gives you energy and stamina and fights fatigue......also helps the body regulated (heat or cool) in extreme weather.

Know that a couple of the symptoms for heat sickness are "denial" (I don't have it!), agitation and argumentative.  Know these signs within yourself so that when you feel yourself getting this way, you'll know exactly why.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 08:30:31 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 11:27:56 PM »

Good info thus far. As a long haul trucker during the week I can relate to many points noted above. I average 700 miles a day and as noted above start the day early and get off the road As soon as practical after dark. Also watch early afternoon - 1-3pm tends to be a dangerous time for getting tired, sneaks up on you! Plan your miles and daily goal destinations ahead, I often have my trips planned out 2 days out when on the road - usually conservative goals so I end each day in a bonus zone, once I make that bonus zone (knowing I am ahead of plan) I relax knowing I can stop as needed. Sometimes the body just needs a break, listen to it, your the boss so you can cut it short, make it a quick break, even a 20 minute nap on a picnic table has been a lifesaver and refresher for me in the past - full leathers, helmet on just laid down, don't get comfortable or you'll sleep longer and lose the benefit of a "nap". That plan ahead thing should highlight any large cities and work them in the plan to avoid rush hours or you will lose lots of time and fatigue much quicker. If your gonna hit Indianapolis at 5:00pm, stop outside town, get a bite to eat fill up and relax, then pass thru later - save your sanity, get a good late leg of the trip in, and be in better shape in the long run, by the same token if you can get through a big city at the end of the day - do it - avoid the morning rush, sleep in the next morning and be ahead of the game. - don't eat at the end of the day, eat early - ride later, rest better. More quick stops better than pushing longer - just keep them quick - (5) 5 minute quick stretch stops  = 1 30 minute stop - but will give your body 5 times the refreshment - its like an athelete - a quick stop keeps you warmed up - tak an hour off you will cool down and tighten up - tight sore back/leg muscles are the enemy. Good luck - ride safe!
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 12:18:12 AM »

Here is the link for the 29 tips from the Iron Butt Association,
http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 06:29:30 AM »

we intend to cover a minimum of 700 miles a day 3 days in a row simple math says 10 hrs at 70 mph. but the reailty is the longer your are on the road and the faster you are riding the more fatigued you become.

You gotta get a new perspective on this..........it's only 7hrs at 100mph....... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Seriously, I've done 800 mile days and it ain't that hard, but ya start stackin em up day after day and it gets a bit harder.  Leave early, brisk morning air is good for ya, and you can make some time with less traffic out there.  Wear a jacket whether you need to or not, helps with the fatigue.  Take stops as you need to, for as long or short as you need to.....and DON'T fall asleep at the bars (uhhh, handlebars), it's scarey as hell wakin up at 75mph......that is something you'll only do ONCE.....and hopefully live to type about it.

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 08:36:48 AM »

Hit the road early AM so that you can get off the road by early evening.

Going from east to west I think you'll have a couple time zones to cross that'll give you a couple extra hours.  Going the other direction will be just the opposite but you'll have your riding butt under you by then.

Long distance, my first day is always the worst.....second day is a little better......from third day on it's just "another 100 miles" all day long.

I stop only for gas but I get off my bike to fuel up vs. sitting on it.  Usually down a Gatorade or water (in the summer) to stay plenty hydrated and carry another with me, as I pull out, to drink on the road.  Keep an ice chest in my tour pack. Carry energy or protein bars in my windshield pouches.

Be sure to eat three meals a day (see the meals recommended by the Iron Butt Riders in another thread) ........even when you think that you aren't hungry.....it gives you energy and stamina and fights fatigue......also helps the body regulated (heat or cool) in extreme weather.

theKnow that a couple of  [highlight]symptoms for heat sickness are "denial" (I don't have it!), agitation and argumentative.[/highlight]  Know these signs within yourself so that when you feel yourself getting this way, you'll know exactly why.

And all this time I thought my wife was just being bitchy!
 :)

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 09:31:00 AM »

Rather than do the three meals a day thing, I eat something at every gas stop. Never anything heavy. Fruit, juice, milk, power bars etc so that my energy level stays up without getting the full stomach sleepy issues. Whenever I've done coast to coast with a group and done the three squares thing and it tends to bog me down. I ride mostly alone on long rides and actually prefer it, since it allows me to do things at my own pace. If I want a 10 minute stop I can do it, if I want a 45 minute stop I can. Riding in a group is cool for the end of the day "talk about the day" stuff, but riding solo is really the way to go. I usually plan my days around 500 miles. It allows me to sleep til I wake up naturally to the sun coming up which lets me feel more rested than doing the alarm clock thing (chit it's a vacation isn't it? ) As you may have seen on the Maggie Valley thread, I plan hotels since that way if I decide to wander a bit, I know I have a room waiting even if I get in late. Mostly I try to arrive before dark since I don't care for night riding anymore. Can and will do it if I have to, but it isn't my favorite thing. I tend to ride whatever speed I feel comfortable at. Sometimes that will be 85 +, sometimes I'll set the cruise at 70 and enjoy the scenery. I don't as a rule drink much during the riding days, maybe one or two beers at night, maybe a shot of Jack Black. I tend to crash by 10PM. Being alert and rested everyday counts for a lot if you have to think and act fast. One thing I've learned is that if you don't get into a comfort zone it's a long ass haul. I'm cool for one maybe two days in a group, but I do find it tiring. I guess that's why I prefer riding solo. I get to choose the pace of the day. I usually do one long 750-800 mile day at the end of a trip since by then I'm totally into the zone. Anyway, that's what I do, everybody's different. Like I said, IMO the most important thing is finding your comfort zone.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 09:41:51 AM by SPIDERMAN »

Rebel

• Full CVO Member
  • It's called Sanity, but maybe it's me that's crazy
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 10:46:20 AM »

Hey Ya'll-

Ok, let me throw in a question here...

Two lanes or Highways?  What's the preference???

Later-
The "Rebel"

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 10:53:40 AM »

for a 300 mile day twolane, lets you slow down a bit and see the sights, but no way do cover 700+ miles a day that way
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 10:55:12 AM »

Depends, twolane highways if you've got the time and are not on a schedule. Super slabs if you're trying to pack 5,000 miles and a couple days in Daytona/Sturgis/Laconia into the two weeks you weasel out of your boss. I mostly do the superslab jam but dream of retiring and wandering around the country on the backroads stopping at the little diners and really seeing the country someday.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 12:13:47 PM »

My husband, his brother and I are leaving next week for what could have been a 760 mile trip to Ontario, but we have turned it into a 1200 mile trek, two lane roads from here till New York, then we will jump on a hiway till Canada.  We believe we will be doing about 500-600 miles a day, but we have time, so we will see.  Ya hoo, aren't we all glad it is finally summer.   [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 24 queries.