Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: never understood this helmet law  (Read 6679 times)

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
Re: never understood this helmet law
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2011, 07:51:31 AM »

Maybe it does not make sense to many to ride without a helmet, and to many more it does not makes to ride ride a motorcycle at all.
Many here question does it make sense to ride a Harley.

I will tell you, that after being an EMT for 10 years, I have seen a lot.
Many of those sights are as vivid as the first time seeing them.

I know my next statement will baffle many, but I have witnessed many an event where there is no logical reason why some have survived and many that did not.

Maybe I believe in "Fate" or  "destiny" and when your number comes up, a helmet will not change the result.

A helmet may improve one's survivability and then maybe not if there is destiny/fate.

"You make the call,  Heads or tales"  

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 07:54:12 AM »

Florida Helmet Law: Carry 10k bodily injury insurance and you don't have to wear a helmet. No insurance,helmet required!

An example of another really stupid law.

If you do get hurt, what does 10K do?

that is burned up almost before you get to the Hospital.
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Thundering6

• CVO1: 2007 VRSCX #66/1400
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 08:07:58 AM »

Just let ME decide how much my brain is worth. I do not need the government to decide what I put on my head, and I do not need them telling me not to eat a Big Mack, if I so choose.  Thank you very much

One of my riding buddies was as hard headed as you.
I only wish he was still here to tell you his story.
You are correct,its your choice and your brain,but,again,I agree with what has been echoed...
if you feel your brain and life are worth nothing,then don't wear any protection.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 08:36:17 AM »

I ride my scooter for the pure enjoyment. This fun is greatly enhanced when I am helmet free. I do NOT have a death wish, just a desire to do as I wish. Every sport has some elements of danger.....some more than others.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 09:47:25 AM »

True so add another 100K for brain surgery and recover costs. Jerry where do I find this 110,000.00 helmet?? :huepfenlol2: We just had a kid die from a skateboard fall here in Knoxville, no helmet. There are many ways to die with a head injury. Why are helmets not required in cars? I am sure it would save lives. ;D

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 10:10:44 AM »

One of my riding buddies was as hard headed as you.
I only wish he was still here to tell you his story.
You are correct,its your choice and your brain,but,again,I agree with what has been echoed...
if you feel your brain and life are worth nothing,then don't wear any protection.

Nancy and I use to ride sometimes without a helmet.
Then when we realized that a helmet would have saved our friend Click Baldwin we decided to start wearing them. (all the time)
Also, after seeing the tears, heartache and agony of families that have lost loved ones, we realized maybe, a helmet might keep that from happening.

We have loud pipes, we have loud horns, we have bright lights just so people can know we are there.
With the above what are you trying so hard to protect but then leave your brain uncovered?
I wear a helmet not because I have to, I wear it because I want to and feel it's a smart thing to do.
Again,

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 10:19:28 AM »

I think the intent is to leave the family with funeral expenses and some money to cover the "clean up" at the accident site. 

dooinit2u

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2015 SESG UltraViolet Blue / Hot Lava ***SOLD***
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2011, 10:27:19 AM »

My niece is a RN in Temple, Tx and works in the Trauma ICU. Last week there were 4 people in her ward from accidents on MC's w/ no helmets.

In Texas they decide, but a drug induced coma to keep you alive isn't worth the cost for FREEDOM of not wearing a helmet. JMHO...

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2011, 10:40:42 AM »

They wrote the law that way because it is simple to pass a law requiring that the equipment be present - seatbelts, 5 mph bumpers, etc. - and less simple to require that it be used.  They assumed that it would be inconvenient to haul a helmet around so people would put it on.  It's like requiring that there be life jackets in boats - they don't have to be on the people, just in the boat.  And it does about as much good to have one sitting under the boat seat when you go overboard as it does to have a helmet strapped to the backrest when you go down. 
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2011, 01:43:46 PM »

True so add another 100K for brain surgery and recover costs. Jerry where do I find this 110,000.00 helmet?? :huepfenlol2: We just had a kid die from a skateboard fall here in Knoxville, no helmet. There are many ways to die with a head injury. Why are helmets not required in cars? I am sure it would save lives. ;D

Actually, helmets are required in a lot of cars.  Think NASCAR, IndyCars, Formula 1, NHRA, etc.  Don't like the rules, don't bother showing up at the race track.  There is no inalienable right, no matter what some may argue, concerning helmets.  If you can't drive in one of those racing series without approved safety gear, and you can't play certain sports without approved safety gear, and you can't go on a job site or in a factory without approved safety gear, I don't see why the PRIVILEGE of riding a motorcycle on public highways is any different.  Don't want to follow the rules, then don't participate in the subject activity.  Problem solved.

BTW, if motorcycles had crush zones and enclosed safety cage designs and airbags and seatbelts and all the other stuff that's required in cars, maybe there wouldn't be a push to encourage or require helmet use.  Does anyone here really want a motorcycle equipped like that?  Didn't think so. 

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2011, 01:53:34 PM »

Jerry where do I find this 110,000.00 helmet??

I do believe I have one I can sell you.   :huepfenlol2:

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2011, 05:07:39 PM »

BTW, if motorcycles had crush zones and enclosed safety cage designs and airbags and seatbelts and all the other stuff that's required in cars, maybe there wouldn't be a push to encourage or require helmet use.  Does anyone here really want a motorcycle equipped like that?  Didn't think so. 

Jerry

that would be called a Car
Formally FLHTCUSE3

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2011, 05:12:03 PM »

Actually, helmets are required in a lot of cars.  Think NASCAR, IndyCars, Formula 1, NHRA, etc.  Don't like the rules, don't bother showing up at the race track.  There is no inalienable right, no matter what some may argue, concerning helmets.  If you can't drive in one of those racing series without approved safety gear, and you can't play certain sports without approved safety gear, and you can't go on a job site or in a factory without approved safety gear, I don't see why the PRIVILEGE of riding a motorcycle on public highways is any different.  Don't want to follow the rules, then don't participate in the subject activity.  Problem solved.

Jerry

That is called liability........

you cannot sue someone for not making you wear a helmet on a motorcycle,
but sports particapation and workplaces are a different matter.

Formally FLHTCUSE3

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2011, 06:31:24 PM »

I know we go round and round on this all the time.  Bottom line,  isn't our beads and brain with a little sacrificing thesis "freedom" nonsense?   I get really mad when I see people without a helmet. I try not to let it get to me but it does.  I don't mind saying this but "stupidity can get you killed".    Just sayin'.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2011, 08:02:54 PM »

:-\
You can witness a lot of that (hardheadedness scenario) in So. Carolina.   I live in No. Carolina just 7 miles from the border with So.  Carolina.  Watching bikers come into and/or leave So. Carolina on bikes......I would venture to say that 80-85 %  ride without helmets once they get to the state line.........and leaving,  some of them......forget and leave themselves wide open to a ticket for (no helmet) as they have crossed into a state that requires one. :nixweiss:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 20 queries.