Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WHAT TUNER DO I GET??  (Read 1702 times)

saldana9

WHAT TUNER DO I GET??
« on: August 10, 2011, 09:24:46 PM »

i have a 2012 roadglide custom with fulsac xpipe, cfr mufflers and a roland sands aircleaner and was wondering what tuner i should get thundermax or tts master tune?

thanks,

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: WHAT TUNER DO I GET??
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 09:30:59 PM »

i have a 2012 roadglide custom with fulsac xpipe, cfr mufflers and a roland sands aircleaner and was wondering what tuner i should get thundermax or tts master tune?

thanks,

Since you already bought the fullsac pipe, did you get the style with the O2 sensors up by the heads (2009) style, or are they down by the trans (2010 and later)? The thundermax requires the larger sensors mounted up by the heads, but the TTS can use your stock sensors in the stock locations. Also....if you buy the TTS from Fullsac, Steve will send you a map that's most likely damn close to what you need for the combo you are running. Then you can choose if you want to dyno and tune to get it perfect. Only problem is that you need a dyno guy who can tune using the TTS. Thundermax would auto tune, but since you already bought the headpipe you may not be able to go that route anymore.

2 different animals--the thundermax auto tunes for your changes as you make them, the TTS you need to tune manually for each change you make.

saldana9

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 09:41:54 PM »

Since you already bought the fullsac pipe, did you get the style with the O2 sensors up by the heads (2009) style, or are they down by the trans (2010 and later)? The thundermax requires the larger sensors mounted up by the heads, but the TTS can use your stock sensors in the stock locations. Also....if you buy the TTS from Fullsac, Steve will send you a map that's most likely damn close to what you need for the combo you are running. Then you can choose if you want to dyno and tune to get it perfect. Only problem is that you need a dyno guy who can tune using the TTS. Thundermax would auto tune, but since you already bought the headpipe you may not be able to go that route anymore.

2 different animals--the thundermax auto tunes for your changes as you make them, the TTS you need to tune manually for each change you make.

i got the one for my bike, i didnt get it yet, but it should be on its way tomorrow.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 09:44:39 PM »

i got the one for my bike, i didnt get it yet, but it should be on its way tomorrow.

You mean the pipe???  Then probably go for a TTS since the stock O2 sensors will be used in the stock location. 

I had another suggestion on tuner, if you had gotten a pipe with the larger sensors mounted close to the heads.

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 11:47:22 PM »

Its a 2012 so the sensors are by the trans
and jmo the X pipe from fulsac is a great pipe

TTS has all the features you can need to do the tune
yourself, and done properly you'll get within 5% of
a dyno tune, especially if you start with steves base map
for the pipe that has been dyno tuned.

You'll need a Laptop, and when you get the tts its
advisable if you have only USB ports on your laptop
to get the TTS USB cables to connect to the ECM

Its fairly easy to learn and do the majority of
the work yourself, make about 5 runs (riding around)
and get the base VE tables set (the key to the tune)
and use Steves Lambda (afr) tables as he's got them
spot on for the build as well as timing etc.

Also the TTS is programming the ECM not
adding a device to piggy back on the ECM

One thing that can help with any tuner product
is a small video screen like a 7 inch USB monitor
you can pick up online for about $70, mount on the bars
and watch to complete all cells possible, it isn't necessary but
it makes it easier to get it done quicker.

www.mastertune.net

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 10:52:41 AM »

Think I mentioned this before but I purchased the SERT when I had the Rinehart T/D and big suck air cleaner installed at 242 miles on my sled. Now that I'm researching different pipes and tuners I'm wondering about duplicating my efforts and going with the Fullsac Xpipe and TTS. It's kinda like putting  Banks gear on my truck and then finding out about EFILive. I always seem to do it backwards. Can I get a proper tune using my SERT and are there canned maps for changing over to the Fullsac X pipe? There's some kind of an upgrade option on the TTS site for the SERT but not sure whats that all about. I can sell off the Rinehart system but not so with the SERT and it's fitting one bike. I recently purchased the SERT cables, software and training video but without my own dyno, I think I'm spinning my wheels so to speak. I would like to change cams and go to Stage 2 but after reading posts about any engine mods even to a stage 1, H-D's view on warranty work has me concerned. This of course is all academic since I'm just bench racing until I get back to the States full time. Hopefully engine failures on the new 110 will be far and few between. Then I say that and jinx myself.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 12:12:39 PM by CVOThunder »
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

strokerjlk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 06:32:47 AM »

Thunder.
sounds like you have a pro tuner. Only the old sert will qualify for the conversion.
you can use what you have now and get the same results. No need to buy another tuner.

If you point your oxygen-acetylene cutting torch
at a temperature sensor and adjust it for the highest temp you have found stoichiometric
Ron Dickey

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 08:13:23 AM »

That's kinda what I was thinking. While I might change out the exhaust, I don't think there will be that much of a change in tunes or at least put it in the range that the EFI could compensate for. Could be wrong and it'd be nice to know for sure if this tune would work or if someone has a tune already done for this exact combo. Thanks for the input.  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: Oh and yes, according to the install sheet, the numbers cross over to the pro version. 32109-08B
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 08:21:32 AM by CVOThunder »
2007 Softail Custom

strokerjlk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 10:00:12 AM »

That's kinda what I was thinking. While I might change out the exhaust, I don't think there will be that much of a change in tunes or at least put it in the range that the EFI could compensate for. Could be wrong and it'd be nice to know for sure if this tune would work or if someone has a tune already done for this exact combo. Thanks for the input.  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: Oh and yes, according to the install sheet, the numbers cross over to the pro version. 32109-08B

it really needs a good tune instead of a canned map. and you can get that with the device you have.
maybe fullsac has a close  SESPT map?
if you didn't have a dyno tuned map with the R/H T/D'S ? then you might be happy with a canned map and the x pipe?
tuned it would be so much better.
I would spend the money that you are going to use for a new pipe,on a good dyno tune. unless your after a diff sound? a good tune on what you have will really surprise you. JMO

at a temperature sensor and adjust it for the highest temp you have found stoichiometric
Ron Dickey

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 10:15:17 AM »

Cool. Ya I would really prefer to send it across a set of rollers. I'll have to call my local shop and see if they know of someone with a dyno. Not gonna happen until May or so of next year but I'll gear up to that end goal. I dream about waiting until I change the head gaskets and put in new cams (Andrews 54's) but I reckon I need to consider that dang warranty thing. I'm must be loosing my mind...I'm sure I already mentioned that huh. Anyway...just as well max the current performance with a good tune.
2007 Softail Custom

strokerjlk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 03:04:34 PM »

thank you for your service  :2vrolijk_21:

Ron Dickey

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 03:16:11 PM »

Thank you sir, my pleasure. Actually I'm retired USN and working telecom for the Army these days. Still not at home riding and once in awhile things come out of the sky at us. Makes me wonder sometimes. Gotta get Big Blue paid down a bit and then maybe time to call it quits. It'll be 4 yrs in Nov.
2007 Softail Custom

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 03:52:23 PM »

gotta love those CFR mufflers
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 20 queries.