Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will non-dealer service void warranty?  (Read 4694 times)

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
Will non-dealer service void warranty?
« on: August 17, 2011, 03:40:47 PM »

Got a 5K service coming up and i'm balking at the $550 charge.  If i have an independent do the work will it void the warranty?  Thanks!
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
Re: Will non-dealer service void warranty?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 04:00:58 PM »

I've heard from others on the site that if you keep receipts for parts (oil, filter, etc) you should be OK. I've done my own service twice so I sure home I'm covered.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 04:07:36 PM »

Got a 5K service coming up and i'm balking at the $550 charge.  If i have an independent do the work will it void the warranty?  Thanks!

NO!  You can have an independent do your maintenance, or your neighbor, yourself, or anyone else you want.  And you can use any brand of lubricants and filters, not just Harley branded products.  This is all spelled out in Federal warranty law, specifically the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.  Don't let any dealership tell you otherwise.

Considering there is very little actually on a 5000 mile maintenance list these days, that charge you mentioned should be considered grand theft.  If you don't have a copy of the actual checklist, go to the Harley website where you can type in your VIN and current mileage and it will give you the full list of required maintenance items for that mileage.  Other than changing the motor oil and filter, I can't think of anything major at 5k miles, just a lot of little quick visual inspections for proper operation of things like lights, switches, etc., or loose fasteners.

Jerry

https://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Owners/service-your-bike/maintenance-schedules/maintenance-schedules.html
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:20:13 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 04:12:37 PM »

It won't void the warranty, but $550. is way out, we charge 285.00. thats with synthetics.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 08:26:40 PM »

The dealer I bought my bike "recommends" changing all three oils at 5000 miles and the motor oil at 2500 miles.  Needles to say, I do my own now.  I think they wanted $385 for a 5000 mile service.  Not sure about the 2500 mile service.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:04:02 PM by charles05663 »
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

MikeysDad

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 08:58:56 PM »

IMHO Dealerships make you pay the price for NOT having their little Star Customer Service Contract.  I've always used the Dealerships just becasue I have the extended warranty and if they find something wrong (which they have) I want it to be there for them to take care of it.  I've been told over the phone what a service cost, then been charged up to $150 more when they were thru (oh, they did drop it $50 when I questioned it, but still 100 bucks over), plus, I think a $50 copay on a warranty repair, when it is to fix a smashed wire for the cruise control is ludacris....Love Harleys, don't much like the dealerhsips I've dealt with anyway...

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

• CVO1: 2012 SE7 (10/15/11)
    • CVO2: 2007 UC-110 SE
    • CVO3: 1965 FLH
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 01:06:36 AM »

I know first hand; on my 2007 I had only HD service centers do my service. If it ever comes to litigation the burden of proof will be on you. You will have to prove the service was done by someone qualified to preform the work.

(The following is not a personal attack)
Are you qualified?
What DOCUMENTED mechanical training do you have that qualifies you to inspect the items on that list?
How can you prove you inspected all the items on that list?
They will say you missed something or improperly inspected the motorcycle are just lying about your service.
Can you prove the work was preformed? No! really, can you prove it?
Maybe the phone rang and you only 1/2 of the oil in and your rear wheel locks due to engine lockup up on your first ride slinging you in to oncoming traffic. Is it worth the risk? 

2 Dealerships that worked on my bike went out of business. Because I saved the receipts and service tickets; I have proof the work was done.
Do you think a dealer facing litigation is going to produce your service history to help you?

We are talking about service preformed by HD or and Independent and someone drifted off into doing your own.
Again personal experience: I saved every receipt and service ticket from day one; if I hadn't things would be different, when I needed it, I had it.

Don't short change yourself by tens of thousands to save $500 or $250 every 5K miles.

Have it done by someone HD or an Independent (if the independent does it, get copy's of their certifications for future use if the are out of business when the time comes)

I have been off this board for almost 2 years, I kept my head down and my mouth shut; There is a reason!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 09:58:15 PM »

Not all dealers are a rip-off.  Some have great service depts. with knowledgeable personnel and fair prices compared to the independent competition...it varies a lot and too bad that there seem to be more rip-offs than good ones.  I even remember that it varied quite a bit in the 'old days' before the Revival and Modern Extravagansia Dealerships.  Some were good/fair/honest and some not so good and rip-offs.  Some like Robisons in Daytona even loaned tools for you to make emergency repairs/adjustments in the parking lot.  (He still does, if he's open).  har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Montanakid

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 02:03:53 AM »

I had a friend who was Parts manager for a large dealership and he ended up quitting as the service manager was more worried about volume and not performing the services, meaning you brought your bike in for 1k,5k,10k, service and all you'd get was an oil change, no other fluid change or service, When he brought it to the service managers attention he was told to worry about his parts dept and he'd run the service side as he saw fit.Needless to say I never went there for any work,if fact my friend actually opened his own shop and I had all my work done through him until he moved away.
S&S T 124 LC Engine
D&D Borzilla Eghaust
Horsepower Inc Throttle Assembly
Hawg Wired 6 Pack System
Progressive Monotubes Front
Progressive 440's Rear

jgandara

• johnny gandara
  • Ride today, rust tomorrow.

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Crimson Black/Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE2 Black Ice/Electric Orange, international
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 04:11:59 AM »

Hi Montanakid. I saw you have SE259E in your bike. I'm thinking about the best match cam replacemento for my bike. I have stage 1 Arlen Ness Big Sucker air intake, Vance & Hines power duals with hi output mufflers. I want just to replace cams for a SE257, 259 or 260, but don't know exactly the best choice. How many horses did you gain with SE259E? Did you loss some power at low RPM compared to stock SE255? Thanks.
johnny gandara

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 03:39:42 PM »

89speedy, If you get a service manual and do your  own 5K services you will save about $280.00 each time based on a $350. charge per service. Let's say your motor goes out at 60,000 miles and you have done all your own 5K services you will have saved, after deducting for oil and filters, about $3300.So if you look at the big picture and you replace the  motor at your own expense at 60,000 miles you are still not that bad off, just looking at it from a dollars and cents point of view. The added benefit is that you really know that all the fluids are changed and they are at the proper level. I read a post last week where a guy came back from having his bike worked on and it was over a quart low. I will only go in for tire changes (which gets the rear belt adjusted because they have too) or something I can't figure out on my own. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 20 queries.