Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Half helmets and headsets  (Read 11287 times)

cvogeorge

Half helmets and headsets
« on: August 28, 2011, 08:45:25 PM »

Does anyone wear half helmets and use the headsts that came with the FLTRUSE? If so what kind of helmet do you use and what do you do to make the headsets fit? My wife and I prefer the half helmet but not sure what helmets to use. I just picked up a 3/4 Harley helmet but get a bad hot spot right above my right ear after about 40 minute that makes if very painful to wear.  Thanks.

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
Re: Half helmets and headsets
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 09:34:54 PM »

I don't believe the headsets that come with the bike will fit on any half helmet. There is a set avail. In the parts book that is made to fit any half helmet.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

SEURG

• Senior CVO Member
  • Deals Gap

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 10:08:02 PM »

Installed headset that came with the bike on this HD Helmet.  Friend also installed on a JVC.  No issues, works great.  :2vrolijk_21:

cvogeorge

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 10:26:50 PM »

Looks great. How did you secure the speakers?

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 10:35:17 PM »

Not a direct answer to your post but my wife and I use the scala rider bike-to-bike comms and cannot use our half helmets.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 01:14:09 AM »

some of the 1/2 helmets have speaker pockets in the parts that cover the ears just have to go try some
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 02:42:35 AM »

I don't have a picture of the helmets we bought but they were HD branded 1/2 helmets. The clothing gal assembled the helmets for us and installed a kit that has a pocket for the speakers. Not super secure and they have like a velcro tab that slips in between the headstrap and plastic shell. We had to check it once in awhile but they worked ok but not super. Used the pair of headsets that came with the SEUC.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

SEURG

• Senior CVO Member
  • Deals Gap

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 11:29:24 PM »

This helmet side straps have a sopt where the speaker would Velcro to.  Buddy simply sewed in some Velcro material to his that the speaker could stick to.  No issues with either set up.  We have also utilized the over the ear set, however after a couple of hours the oveer the ear piece made the ear extremely tender.  OK, had to remove as it was dam sore.  Don't use those much any more.

cvogeorge

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 11:37:34 PM »

We tried the over the ear and thought they were very painful too. Expensive lesson learned. I think we are going to try the Scorpion EXO-100s. They have the retractable sun shields and have built in velcro speaker pockets in the ear pieces. A buddy of mine has one and says it works great.

Barmats

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 09:19:44 PM »

My wife and I have Scorpion EXO-100 half helmets, and I was able to attach the H-D headset to them. This required attaching the soft lower ear cover section via zippers to the helmet, which turned out to be comfortable even in hot weather riding. The speakers were a very tight fit into the pouches, but I managed to squeeze them all the way in. The boom mic assembly did not fit onto the side of the helmet, which is just too thick. I ended up attaching it to the left side strap - the mic was a bit floppy but it seemed to work pretty well.

Unfortunately, the added mass of the speakers put too much pressure on my ears making wearing the helmet uncomfortable. It was worse with sunglasses. It's a great helmet and I really like it, so I ended up removing the headset.

I have since purchased a set of Nolan N43 Trilogy helmets with the J&M 629 wired headsets and lower cord. Since the headset is made specifically for this helmet, the fit is perfect and everything works well. I still wear the half-helmet from time to time, but the Nolan gives a better sense of safety and security.
2020 CVO Limited

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 03:57:53 PM »

I bought the HD Boom Audio headset for half-helmets.  It's comfortable and doesn't require mounting to the helmet.
Here's from the P&A catalog:

Boom!™ Audio Half Helmet Music and Communications Headset

This comfortable headset is designed to allow full music and communication function while wearing a half helmet. Lightweight, durable neck bow wraps around the ear and across the back of the neck, and fits comfortably below the shell of most half helmets. Great-sounding foam-covered on-ear stereo headphone cups reduce wind noise while allowing you to hear surrounding traffic. The adjustable boom microphone with wind sock has been optimized for superior clarity when connected to Harley-Davidson intercom and Bike-to-Bike communications equipment, and the quick-disconnect plug allows you to step away from the motorcycle without removing the headset. A clothing clip is included for added comfort and reduced ear fatigue. The coiled cord permits freedom of movement in the saddle. The 7-pin DIN plug can be connected to the front and rear communications ports, allowing both rider and passenger access to the music, navigation, and voice communications features of the motorcycle.

76572-09

7-pin DIN Connector.

Fits '98-later FLHTCU, FLHTK and FLHTCUTG models. Also fits with vehicles equipped with Communication Switch Kit P/N 77173-08 or Boom!™ Audio Music and Intercom Kit P/N 77107-09 or 77108-09A.

MSRP US $119.95

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

kjun

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 11:17:48 AM »

I purchased from IMC Motorcom. Harley 7 pin half helmet head set # HS H40 $ 80.00 Ea works great

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 12:57:04 PM »

Does anyone wear half helmets and use the headsts that came with the FLTRUSE? If so what kind of helmet do you use and what do you do to make the headsets fit? My wife and I prefer the half helmet but not sure what helmets to use. I just picked up a 3/4 Harley helmet but get a bad hot spot right above my right ear after about 40 minute that makes if very painful to wear.  Thanks.

I have the stock headset on a Harley half-helmet and purchased a set of speaker pockets for $25 that fit real nice.
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

SEURG

• Senior CVO Member
  • Deals Gap

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 10:53:39 PM »

Googled the part number 76572-09
- on sale for $76.46 at

HOGTIES INC.
WWW.USAMOTORCYCLEPARTS.COM
1010 N. Catalina Ave
 Redondo Beach, CA 90277
 USA 310.697.3794
UK 0118.907.61.56
 Mexico: 52.558.525.54.30
parts@usamotorcycleparts.com

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »

Tried the BOOM! Audio over the ear product ...........also with painful results as they "conflict" with sunglasses. The solution for us was the J&M Vega half helmet solution:
http://www.jmcorp.com/VegaHelmets.asp

This helmet has a nice ventilation system ...........one can even remove the plastic vent covers to enhance the airflow!
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 20 queries.