Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for Advice - HD sales as a career  (Read 1023 times)

darkside

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Looking for Advice - HD sales as a career
« on: September 06, 2011, 04:38:26 PM »

Greetings,

I know I'm probably opening a can of worms here but here goes.  I've been in sales for 30 years, from retail to software/services with a focus on solution selling, however I have never been in vehicle sales.  I'm at a point in my life where I'm wanting to cut back on my travel and I've always had an interest in vehicle sells, primarily HD's. 

I have a fairly strong motorcycle background starting with my first bike at 8, racing flat track by 9, drag racing at 15 - I've not been with a bike since my first and it is truly my passion.  In addition, I had part interest in motorcycle fabrication business where we designed and built parts for the v-twin market as well as building some pretty high priced bikes.  I've personally built a handful of bikes and continue to do so as a hobby, currently building a 69 T100 chop.

Anyway, I'm interested in the pro's and con's (related to selling HD's), compensation models found at the dealerships, cyclical selling periods (although I'm in TX and we ride most all year), etc...

I figure there must be a few dealerships guys on this board so whatever you think I should know.

Thanks, Mac...
2009 FLHRSE - Ghost Silver
FullSac 2.25's
Catless header pipe
TTS MasterTune

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Looking for Advice - HD sales as a career
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 05:20:48 PM »

Imho, I'm not sure that the run of the mill sales guy makes a ton of money, if that's a requirement. When I factor in what I see these guys riding, and knowing they get some sort of a discount, that alone leads me to believe they ain't living in the lap of luxury.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

darkside

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 05:48:18 PM »

Imho, I'm not sure that the run of the mill sales guy makes a ton of money, if that's a requirement. When I factor in what I see these guys riding, and knowing they get some sort of a discount, that alone leads me to believe they ain't living in the lap of luxury.
Thanks for the reply, I probably should have mentioned that quality of life is much more important than money although I'm not looking to be some sort of philanthropist either.   :)
2009 FLHRSE - Ghost Silver
FullSac 2.25's
Catless header pipe
TTS MasterTune

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 05:54:42 PM »

Just be honest with your customers and keep your price at MSRP or below. It depends on the dealership rules and code of conduct. What are the ethics of the dealership you are thinking about?  Ask some biker friends if they are happy with their last purchase there and will they buy from that dealer again?  If the dealership has a good reputation, then it's just the economy that will dictate sales.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 05:56:20 PM »

Whatever makes you happy in this short life is worth pursuing. Follow your passion and you can't go wrong.  I had rather live a modest but happy life than have tons of money and be miserable. Every man that is enthusiastic about what he is doing is already successful.
Jesus is Lord

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 05:57:47 PM »

One point to think about if your a seasoned bike rider most likely you won't be riding that much. The work hours are during peak riding times Friday, Satuday and Evenings.

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 06:02:43 PM »

Thanks for the reply, I probably should have mentioned that quality of life is much more important than money although I'm not looking to be some sort of philanthropist either.   :)
Agreed, but just living nowadays ain't cheap. If I had to guess, I'd say the Joe average 40 hours a week Harley sales guy might earn $50 to $60K a year, plus the hours suck. I'm sure some make much more, and some much less, so only you can decide what you need to maintain your desired standard of living.  Honestly, I wish I could afford to do the same - Or sell boats or snowmobiles, but I'm guessing with the kids tuition and the wife, I'm gonna be shackled to my desk here for the rest of my life...   :-X
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 11:13:15 PM »

Whatever makes you happy in this short life is worth pursuing. Follow your passion and you can't go wrong.  I had rather live a modest but happy life than have tons of money and be miserable. Every man that is enthusiastic about what he is doing is already successful.
Very well said. :2vrolijk_21:

Hank Hankerson

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 11:29:08 PM »

I can tell you the average Joe H-D salesperson around here makes well below 50-60 thousand a year (SE MN).  More like less than 30,000...if you're lucky.  Working as a parts guy and as a service writer back in the day, almost ten years ago, we're talking more like $10.00 hr.  Just like any sales job I've had the pros are, you get to meet lots of great people, help them spend their money, and watch them customize their bikes into some pretty great creations.  When you work at an H-D shop, you almost become friends and aquainted with people for what seems to be life.  They tell you stories about themselves, and also you to them. 

Anyway, I wouldn't go into it for the money.  Selling bikes is hard, but selling people parts or service is easy; as even those who buy used from Joe Schmoe still need those two things...and if you work at a commission place, selling $3,000 worth of major parts or service is a piece of cake.  You'll also be well dressed in H-D gear, have tons more parts cheap, etc.   

Those are my two cents on the topic.

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 24 queries.