Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Strategic Packing for Long Ride on a 2011 CVO Street Glide???  (Read 11968 times)

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Strategic Packing for Long Ride on a 2011 CVO Street Glide???
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2011, 06:17:08 AM »

It's 5:10 AM. Finishing my last cup of coffee here at the old homestead before we head out. We're packed and ready for our great adventure.

Thanks to all of you for your great suggestions! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: My wife was especially happy to hear about the suggestion to bring TP.

I'll post the pictures when we return.

Oh! I still can't give up the Qt. of Oil. Maybe that comes from having a very old car many years ago that drank oil like water. :nixweiss:

Take care and NEVER FORGET!
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2011, 07:41:46 AM »

If anyone is traveling w/o their extra fob - beware!  I was at home and tried to start my bike but the alarm kept going off.  Fob battery was only 6 mos. old, so it couldn't be that, right?  Wrong...fob battery had died.  I realized what a mess I'd be in if that happened 500 miles from home in the middle of nowhere at midnight.
Carry your manual that came with your bike, it has the proceedure on how to reset the alarm. I had to do this yesterday on a poker run. It is very simple if you have the manual.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 07:47:02 AM by Hawg »
Hawg

FLHXSE2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 BLK/OR
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2011, 09:03:07 AM »

If anyone is traveling w/o their extra fob - beware!  I was at home and tried to start my bike but the alarm kept going off.  Fob battery was only 6 mos. old, so it couldn't be that, right?  Wrong...fob battery had died.  I realized what a mess I'd be in if that happened 500 miles from home in the middle of nowhere at midnight.
Carry your manual that came with your bike, it has the proceedure on how to reset the alarm. I had to do this yesterday on a poker run. It is very simple if you have the manual.

GREAT ADVISE!!!!!!! :)

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2011, 09:07:08 AM »

Pack only half the clothes you will need. When you get half way into your trip, put the dirty clothes in a box and UPS it home (why carry dirty laundry on your bike). You will be buying new T-shirts along the way and you can stop at Wal-Mart and buy new/clean underware for the ride home.

Most of the places i stayed at this year had a washer and dryer at the end of the hall or near the ice machine. Wal-Mart loves me too. :2vrolijk_21:

mark

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2011, 09:51:23 AM »

I always carry my manual on trips...but here's my luck...I'd be trying to read the manual at midnight, in a torrential rainfall, then my flashlight battery will die, rain will ruin the manual making it unreadable, on a Sunday, with no cell service, with the closest HD shop 100 mi. away...oh, and then I'd be surrounded by a pack of wolverines...

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2011, 10:26:03 AM »

It is a lot easier to carry the small card in your billfold that comes in the back of the manual with those instructions. Everything else in the manual should already be known before the ride. And I doubt you would need the manual for capacity or oil change procedures on a trip. Just my opinion -- whatever that is worth. :confused5:

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2011, 11:40:20 AM »

It's 5:10 AM. Finishing my last cup of coffee here at the old homestead before we head out. We're packed and ready for our great adventure.

Thanks to all of you for your great suggestions! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: My wife was especially happy to hear about the suggestion to bring TP.

I'll post the pictures when we return.

Oh! I still can't give up the Qt. of Oil. Maybe that comes from having a very old car many years ago that drank oil like water. :nixweiss:

Take care and NEVER FORGET!

Expecting a good ride report when you return.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2011, 11:46:58 AM »

It is a lot easier to carry the small card in your billfold that comes in the back of the manual with those instructions. Everything else in the manual should already be known before the ride. And I doubt you would need the manual for capacity or oil change procedures on a trip. Just my opinion -- whatever that is worth. :confused5:

It's even easier if you set a simple code and practice it in your driveway till you can do it blindfolded.   Naw....that's to easy. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Willy, lookin forward to that ride report.  Have a safe, rain free journey.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2011, 06:20:15 AM »

Hwy 70 West from St. Louis to Salina, KS....... Good weather & light traffic. Nothing to see but the highway in front of us. Although the Flint Hills area was a wide open hilly area. The first leg of the trip was completely uneventful.  Today Salina to Colorado Springs.

GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member
  • I used to be a KRYPTO.. Now I'm 1 OF 1

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2011, 08:31:05 AM »

How bout updates as ya go .. to let us know what might have been overlooked .. LOL .. have a Great trip. :coolblue:

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2011, 07:47:14 PM »

Hwy 70 West from St. Louis to Salina, KS....... Good weather & light traffic. Nothing to see but the highway in front of us. Although the Flint Hills area was a wide open hilly area. The first leg of the trip was completely uneventful.  Today Salina to Colorado Springs.

WillyB, be careful out there...here's the most recent Denver forecast
In the mountains the rain/snow line will start out at 10,000 feet, but early Thursday morning, snow could be falling as low as 8,000 feet in the Front Range mountains with a couple of inches of accumulation.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2011, 05:00:29 PM »

Sorry for not getting some updates out but the last hotel PC was not working.

Monday 9-12 (Salina to Colorado Springs)
* Jumped off 70 and took HWY 40 to 94 to 24. The 80 or so mile stretch on 94 was like owning my own piece of road. I don't think I saw but 2 cars the whole way. We stopped at a small pull over and just listened to the dead quite for about an hour.

Tuesday 9-13
* We spent the day dodging rain drops. Checked out Garden of the Gods and planned on riding up Pikes Peak but the weather was not good and a local rider said DO NOT go up there today. So we rode out to Cripple Creek. 9500 Feet, 40 degrees and rain. We were going to take the road from there to Canon City but a local cop stopped us and told us to not got that way because of weather and road conditions. So we came back to CS and took Hwy 115 to Canon City and the Royal Gorge. Nice road, great weather. We stopped in to see how close we could get to NORAD. When stopped when the sign read: "The use of deadly force is authorized"

Today Weds 9-14 (CS to Denver)
* Because of the bad weather up in the mountains we skipped out on our ride up to Vail. We stopped in to check out the Air Force Academy and then just took Hwy 83 north thru the high plains area. Cold, Windy, Cloudy, 45 degrees. The Chaple at the academy is pretty cool.

Tomorrow is the interview so no riding. Dinner with my wife's cousin tonight.

Hopefully the weather breaks before we head out to Wyoming on Friday morning.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2011, 08:44:29 PM »

Since I am to late for this trip. I would say throw a few different sizes of good gear drive hose clamps. especially the size that fits the oil cooler lines. (don't ask)
That quart of oil you have been carrying around won't do you any good if you can't keep it in the motor! Just sayin...
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2011, 08:33:39 AM »

Okay, here's an update on the ride.

Thursday 9-15
* This day was dedicated for "the interview", no riding. That morning I shaved off my rally beard (you'll see).

Friday 9-16
* We headed out from Denver to Casper via Estes Park. Great ride thru the mountains. Weather was cool but they had some snow in the higher elevations so the view was pretty great. 14 years ago the wife and I spent our honeymoon hiking in Estes and found this great Italian rest. We've talked about their marinara sauce for years. We found it, new name (Sweet Basilico). I'm telling you, this sauce is the best I've had anywhere (including Italy!!!).

Saturday 9-17
* Left Casper heading to Jackson, WY. Wow! Can you say windy? Ran thru several miles of road construction thru Toweegee Pass. The ride took a lot longer but when we finally got into Jackson we stopped for a Filet Mignon dinner and called it a night.

Sunday 9-18
* Getting ready to ride up to Grand Teton NP to spend the day checking it out.

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2011, 08:46:22 AM »

Thanks for the posting pictures are always a treat  :2vrolijk_21: Fall riding is my favorite  :2vrolijk_21:
Hawg
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 25 queries.