Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cd player skips  (Read 2087 times)

Grumpy-jim

• Junior CVO Member
cd player skips
« on: June 12, 2006, 02:30:12 AM »

Anyone else out there with this problem? Any thoughts on repairs? Thanks...
2001 SE Road Glide
1984 Iron Head Sporty
1961 XLCH, 1st Bike 30 Years Ago

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: cd player skips
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 01:25:05 PM »

grumpy,
Is it a rare skip or a continual every bump skip?
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Grumpy-jim

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 10:52:51 AM »

any kind of slight bump it will skip.......
2001 SE Road Glide
1984 Iron Head Sporty

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 11:11:09 AM »

Anyone else out there with this problem? Any thoughts on repairs? Thanks...

Here's an extensive thread on this issue:

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1093533530/0

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 08:11:55 PM »

Grumpy,
If you read the CD vibration dampener thread, you may find the root problem of your skipping.  The wife's would skip at the slightest bump.  Turns out the vibration dampening system of the changer had given out.  It's nothing more than 2 support springs (Ace Hardware #119's work very well) and 4 dampeners (jvc part#LV30451-002A, at $22.73 each.  You can order them direct from JVC's website.  They have the best shipping rates of anyplace I found selling the dampeners ($9 for 2nd day)).  The unit itself is fairly easy to take apart.  Remove it from the tourpak and remove all 10 screws (there's 3 counter sunk and 2 round head per side). The "top" metal plate/cover will lift off and the sliding cover (over the cartidge slot) will now fall loose.  Don't try to take the cartridge cover off before removing the metal cover, you'll break tabs on it.  Once the cover is off, you'll see 4 yellow pods (2 on each side) that are the dampeners.  You'll also be able to see the 2 springs (1 per side).  These may or may not be broken.  If there's a white slimy silicone like stuff on the housing, it's from the dampeners.  I had 3 bad ones, but replaced all 4.  They just pop on/off the pins on the side of the actual changer.  The springs aren't too bad to do.  The metal "twisting" brackets (you'll understand once you see them) just slide out when turn crosswise and the springs hook to them.  I hooked the springs to the changer then put the brackets in place, hooking the springs to them as they went in.  Then you can test the unit with it apart, just plug in the wires.  Hope this helps.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Grumpy-jim

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 08:46:07 AM »

Thanks, I will try the cleaning disk 1st. If that does not do it I will take it apart for further inspection. I think once I get the c/d change out out the tour pack I may have a hard time putting it back in. I would love to have the extra room back there. I miss the big box like I had on my Ultra when traveling. Thanks again, Grumpy-Jim
2001 SE Road Glide
1984 Iron Head Sporty

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 01:20:27 PM »

You could always add the mp3 player and do away with the changer.  I don't know if anybody has tried the bigger sd cards, but I think I remember the player able to handle a 1GB card, but not larger.  That should hold as much as the changer.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 11:23:47 PM »

nothing more than 2 support springs

That's cool news AD.  As many folks as I've heard complain about those changers over the years I've never had one.  So never had reason to mess with it.  Good to know that such a common and annoying problem is actually a fix of the two-beer-on-Saturday variety.

RANDYSEI2

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 09:30:36 PM »

Hi Jim. I had some problems with stopping and starting of songs and discs. I found out that the remote control in the packpack was hitting items in the close area. Just a thought to help you out.........RANDY

Grumpy-jim

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 09:28:26 AM »

another possibility, thanks
2001 SE Road Glide
1984 Iron Head Sporty

Ripp

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 11:29:06 AM »

I had the same problem and cured it by using velcro on the end of the cd player for the remote. It hasn't skipped since.

Ripp

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 20 queries.