Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need San Diego Information  (Read 737 times)

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
Need San Diego Information
« on: June 13, 2006, 05:42:21 PM »

My son & family are moving to San Diego next month. I'd appreciate any input from those that live there as to where to look for housing and where to stay away from. I expect he will be renting as the housing seems pretty expensive from what I've been able to see on the internet. Rental prices would be good as well as who is reputable as a rental agent. Any other pertinent information would be appreciated as well.
Thanks gang!!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

SPIDERMAN

Re: Need San Diego Information
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 06:57:35 PM »

San Diego is America's finest city and an expensive place to live. Some areas are more so than others. Mostly the cheapest places to live are not places I'd recommend. I live in Poway about 17 miles outside of downtown Dago. Beags lives in Scripps Ranch. Both are nice areas. Poway has a better school system but Scripps is upscale and a lot more expensive both to buy and rent. Your son could find a three bedroom 2 bath house in Poway to rent for around $1,800 a month.There's also Rancho Penesquitos next to Poway which is in the Poway school district that is a similar bedroom community., along with Carmel Mountain Ranch which has some areas like Poway and some like Scripps. Some areas of Escondido, San Marcos, Vista have gang problems so I would not recommend any of those areas. Lemon Grove is southeast of the city and is not too bad an area, not as nice as Poway, but solid middle class; prices should be lower than Poway. Avoid any part of National City. Chula Vista is ok and getting better, Bonita is good. Inner city San Diego is improving, but I would not recommend it for someone unused to the area. The beach towns of course are fabulous with prices to match except for Oceanside which is at least a 50 minute commute in light traffic, easily a 90 minute one in heavy traffic. The freeway system is super and getting any where in the county is easy once you master the interconnecting highways. As I said, San Diego is America's finest city and there is so much to do and enjoy that I cannot begin to name it all. The beaches are mostly free and readily accessible. Weather is the best of any place in the entire USA even better than Hawaii . Temps along the coast.average high 70's daytime and mid 60's nighttime in the summer months and about 10 degrees cooler in the winter  Further inland where Beags and I live it is about 10 degrees warmer on average in the summer and cooler in the winter. Right now it is about 80 degrees at my house and about 73 down on the waterfront. Rent, energy, insurances, utilities, gas for vehicles- - - you know, the basics, probabaly total around $3,500 a month for a family of 4 in a decent area.  Food is in my opinion cheaper than most places because so much of the nation's food needs are grown about 200 miles north of here in the San Juaqin Valley Hope this helps a bit  

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 07:02:48 PM »

Excellent info ... thanks!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Gordito

• Full CVO Member
  • I know Jack Sh*t
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 05:44:11 PM »

You don't mention what your son does or where he will be working. If he's Navy and is commuting, the 15 can be a real bear. That would be the main road up to the Poway area. I live in the Eastlake area of Chula Vista and usually travel the 805. It can be hectic too, but there seems to be less significant snarls than 15.
There are alot of nice places to rent in the SD area, and it winds up (in my opinion) depending on two things: What can you afford and what your time is worth. It's cheaper farther out, but the commute can be a pain in the butt.
2006 FLHTCUSE
Red Shift 575 gear drive cams
Heads ported & polished
Zippers hi flow air filter
Bassani True Duals
Bassani Megaphones
race tuner

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 05:48:26 PM »

He's got a new job with Raytheon in San Diego. Don't know just where his building is located. I suspect he'll rent as the purchase prices are out of sight.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 08:22:35 PM »

SEULTRA  
            You don't mention whether or not he rides ?  

BB

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 09:38:32 AM »

SEULTRA  
            You don't mention whether or not he rides ?  

BB

No, he doesn't ride. He'd like to but with 3 kids, etc, etc you know how it is. He's going to have a hard enough time paying for a roof over his head. SD is tres expensive.

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 20 queries.