Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: 30 Tooth Conversion----What's the deal with Belts Breaking?????  (Read 16170 times)

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
30 Tooth Conversion----What's the deal with Belts Breaking?????
« on: September 25, 2011, 09:49:32 PM »

I was considering changing out my transmission pulley to the 30T this winter but I keep reading about the after market belts breaking.  What's the deal with this?  Is it just that the ones that break are being reported here, or are there really that many breaking?  We like to take a long trip each summer and I really don't want to sit on the side of the road waiting on a tow truck to replace a belt that they probably don't have in stock anyway.   Do you really think that many are breaking or is something wrong with them???  I think the ones mentioned on here are both made by the same company---both said to be better than stock.
Steve

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
Re: 30 Tooth Conversion----What's the deal with Belts Breaking?????
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 07:46:14 AM »

I have changed 3 bikes, and none of them have broken belts. And two of these guys haven't babied them either if you know what I mean.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 10:25:32 AM »

I was considering changing out my transmission pulley to the 30T this winter but I keep reading about the after market belts breaking.  What's the deal with this?  Is it just that the ones that break are being reported here, or are there really that many breaking?  We like to take a long trip each summer and I really don't want to sit on the side of the road waiting on a tow truck to replace a belt that they probably don't have in stock anyway.   Do you really think that many are breaking or is something wrong with them???  I think the ones mentioned on here are both made by the same company---both said to be better than stock.

Not sure what make/model after market belts you are referring to, but my experience with Dayco Panther belts was poor at best.  I thought I needed to use a stronger belt than stock on my 120" build and the Dayco Panther was recommended.  Within two thousand miles I had sheared 80% of the teeth on that belt and while I get on it on occasion, I don't abuse it.  Since I stayed with stock gearing, etc., went back to the HD belt (139 tooth) and have had no issues at all in 62K miles.  HD quality may be suspect on some things, but their belts are good.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 10:39:21 AM »

Not sure what make/model after market belts you are referring to, but my experience with Dayco Panther belts was poor at best.  I thought I needed to use a stronger belt than stock on my 120" build and the Dayco Panther was recommended.  Within two thousand miles I had sheared 80% of the teeth on that belt and while I get on it on occasion, I don't abuse it.  Since I stayed with stock gearing, etc., went back to the HD belt (139 tooth) and have had no issues at all in 62K miles.  HD quality may be suspect on some things, but their belts are good.

The only belts I've found in the 1" 139 T are Gates and Falcon and I believe both are made by Gates.  Haven't been able to  find anything else so far.
   I'm just guessing that the belt breakage problem is not widespread, it's just that the ones that do break, end up getting reported on online forums while many people may use them and never experience a problem.  Just want to check to be sure before I do any swap.
Steve

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 10:42:40 AM »

Belts breaking??
OK, now that I have 15000 miles on my 30T conversion and Drag belt I can chime in.
We got back last month from a road trip, Pacific Northwest, 2-up, pulling a 450LB trailer, up hill, down, flat, fast, slow, gravel roads, etc, etc.
My bike dynos out at about 100/109 and we never had a problem with the belt. I do not baby this bike (ask my BSR)!!
Got my belt and pulley from Fullsac, and I watch Steve abuse his bike also, wheelies, burn outs, etc.
I'm knocking on wood here I know, but, so far, no issues with the conversion.
Belt still looks fine, no missing teeth or unusual wear. The bike pulls great with the conversion and is especially fun to ride solo without trailer, plenty of power to pass.
JMHO
 8)

Ooops, typo!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 10:45:10 AM by HOGMIKE »
HOGMIKE

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »

Thanks Mike and everyone else.  I think I'll go ahead with the conversion.  Just got a little worried when I was reading about belts breaking in other posts on this.  Sure would be nice to be able to pull out in first gear without revving so much and slipping the clutch all the time. LOL
Steve

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 10:58:21 AM »

The Mo Co offers this set up Oe on the Tri Glide. Couldnt you order the parts from a dealer? 
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 11:20:01 AM »

I can't find it now, but remember hearing some where that there was an issue with one of the aftermarket 30 t pulleys not the belt.

Craig

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 11:50:08 AM »

I'm using the TriGlide pulley and Drag belt. Got the whole setup from Fullsac, you can give them a call for more info on the conversion, not a big deal, but you will need a couple special tools.
 8)
HOGMIKE

B.A.

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 12:51:41 PM »

The Mo Co offers this set up Oe on the Tri Glide. Couldnt you order the parts from a dealer? 

I'm only beginning to explore this option.  So, no expert.  Truthfully, I would not be an expert after years of research.  :apple:

In any case, I think a Trike's belt is 1.25.  A lot of these converesions are on bikes with 1 inch belts.  Hence, the "issues" with belts.

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 01:56:22 PM »

I'm only beginning to explore this option.  So, no expert.  Truthfully, I would not be an expert after years of research.  :apple:

In any case, I think a Trike's belt is 1.25.  A lot of these converesions are on bikes with 1 inch belts.  Hence, the "issues" with belts.

:2vrolijk_21:
As HogMike stated contact Steve @ Fullsac for details. He won't steer ya wrong.
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 02:02:20 PM »

What does this conversion do for the bike? ( sorry for getting off topic ) thx
a.k.a  Dent Dude

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 02:26:55 PM »

See: Reply #10  Today at 10:56:22 AM
Or, your local shop
Or, you and a buddy and a six-pack
Lots of options here depending on what way you want to go!
JMHO
 8)
HOGMIKE

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 03:08:19 PM »

Lowers your final drive ratio, so 6th gear will be a little more usuable, of course the other gears will also be lower, so bike will go through the RPM range faster in each gear, better off the line and when carrying a loaded bike two up.

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 07:40:19 AM »

wow that was easy......thanks talon :2vrolijk_21:
a.k.a  Dent Dude
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 20 queries.