Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: JL Amp/Kenwood Head Unit/ARC Speaker Install on FLHXSE2 - Pictures  (Read 7277 times)

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
Re: JL Amp/Kenwood Head Unit/ARC Speaker Install on FLHXSE2 - Pictures
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 11:50:38 AM »

This pic shows just how small the JL amp really is.  The Kenwood deck is on top of it.
2011 FLHXSE2, 113 Torque Pounds, Screamin’ Eagle Pro Super Tuner, Vanc & Hines Power Chamber, Rinehart 4", Sundowner Seat, Standard Backrest, FLHX Passenger Floor Boards, Garmin 665 Weather/Nav, 10" Windshield, Fairing, Air Deflectors,

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 11:52:30 AM »

Very Nice... Your gonna love that amp!
Worth the effort.

All because you took the chance for others to follow -- thanks for the inspiration and advice on the install!
2011 FLHXSE2, 113 Torque Pounds, Screamin’ Eagle Pro Super Tuner, Vanc & Hines Power Chamber, Rinehart 4", Sundowner Seat, Standard Backrest, FLHX Passenger Floor Boards, Garmin 665 Weather/Nav, 10" Windshield, Fairing, Air Deflectors,

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 11:54:39 AM »

Sam, not sure how your are going to fit that bigger JL amp in there -- it is a tight fit for this one, unless you took off more of the gauge cups.

sammyj

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze/ Antique Gunstock "Charmaine"
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 12:19:31 PM »

Saddle bag lids and grills are in.
Going to use Alpines 5x7s
More bass than the J&Ls
The 750/5 fits width wise no problem.
Going to fab a bracket to mount the amp on an angle
and trim the mounting tabs off the bottom corners of the amp.
T-Man 110 CVO Stage II Kit, Jims Crankshaft & Rods, 58mm Throttle Body, SE Pro Tuner, SE Roller Rockers & Lifters, Fueling Cam Plate, Fueling Oil Pump, V&H Dresser Duals & Hi-Outputs, Barnett Scorpion Clutch, 30T Drive Sprocket, Progressive MonoTubes & 940 Rears, LED Headlight & Spots, 6" Freedom Shield, Chrome Inner Primary, Chrome Starter, Alpine & JL Audio 600 Watt 6ch Stereo with Saddle Bag Lid Speakers, Zumo 665, Kury LED
Turn Signals...

Fast FLHX

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Kryptonite FLHXSE2 (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2020 Smokey Grey/Black Hole FLHXSE
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 12:54:41 PM »

That JL amp is a high quality piece, much better than the Arc.

captdave

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 Black Diamond/Crimson SESG
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 11:41:21 PM »

Kenwood KDC-X995 head unit
JL XD400/4 400W 4 Channel Amplifier
KS 100.6  ARC Standard Tweeters
ARC 2 pair 6.5" ARC KS 6026
LoneWolf,

I'm curious if you plan to use your iPod pocket under the right saddlbag lid, and if so, what kind of USB cable you are running from that to the head unit?  The stock cable doesn't have a standard USB plug on the receiver end, does it?  I'd hate to lose the quick disconnect plugs at the saddlebag which allows its easy removal.

Thanks,
Dave

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »

LoneWolf,

I'm curious if you plan to use your iPod pocket under the right saddlebag lid, and if so, what kind of USB cable you are running from that to the head unit?  The stock cable doesn't have a standard USB plug on the receiver end, does it?  I'd hate to lose the quick disconnect plugs at the saddlebag which allows its easy removal.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave, as I am not using the OEM Ipod interface, I pulled the wires out of the saddlebag.  I'm not an Apple guy, and never have been (never owned an Ipod, Iphone, etc).  My first and last Ipod is the Nano which came with the bike.  The Ipod zipper pouch is used for my Garmin detach cover, insurance card, and registration.

Instead, I used the Kenwood's USB rear input cable with a flash drive, and had it run under the tank tucked away under the seat.  You can see the cable in the attached photo. (you can also see the massive fuse for the amp too).    It has attached to it a flash drive which holds 32 gigs of music, which is more than enough -- basically all my classic collections that will never change, such as Pink Floyd, Beatles, Hendrix, Yes, Lynard Skynard, etc. are on it at 320 kps bit rate.  Also, I have the Garmin 665 plugged into the back of the Kenwood head unit via the 3.5 mm jack with XM radio and an additional 32 gigs of music on the microSD.  Further, I have a CD/mp3 player.  In sum, I have more access to music than ever before.  Also, the Radio itself is a HiDef digital tuner, and even without the antenna mounted, it sounds great.  I have full hand control of the radio, CD player, and USB flash drive.  I can only control volume of the Garmin through the hand controls.  BTW:  A PAC module was used.

The only thing left is to figure out how to plug the hole in my saddlebag without any adhesive.

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 03:58:48 PM »

Final install pic -- XM antenna on top of amp.  Blue module on left side of photo is a PAC which allows full use of hand controls.

captdave

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 04:11:58 PM »

Dave, as I am not using the OEM Ipod interface, I pulled the wires out of the saddlebag.  I'm not an Apple guy, and never have been (never owned an Ipod, Iphone, etc).  My first and last Ipod is the Nano which came with the bike.  The Ipod zipper pouch is used for my Garmin detach cover, insurance card, and registration.

Instead, I used the Kenwood's USB rear input cable with a flash drive, and had it run under the tank tucked away under the seat.  You can see the cable in the attached photo. (you can also see the massive fuse for the amp too).    It has attached to it a flash drive which holds 32 gigs of music, which is more than enough -- basically all my classic collections that will never change, such as Pink Floyd, Beatles, Hendrix, Yes, Lynard Skynard, etc. are on it at 320 kps bit rate.  Also, I have the Garmin 665 plugged into the back of the Kenwood head unit via the 3.5 mm jack with XM radio and an additional 32 gigs of music on the microSD.  Further, I have a CD/mp3 player.  In sum, I have more access to music than ever before.  Also, the Radio itself is a HiDef digital tuner, and even without the antenna mounted, it sounds great.  I have full hand control of the radio, CD player, and USB flash drive.  I can only control volume of the Garmin through the hand controls.  BTW:  A PAC module was used.

The only thing left is to figure out how to plug the hole in my saddlebag without any adhesive.

Thanks Lone Wolf.  Let us know if you can get the fairing on!! 

Does anyone know if the stock saddlebag iPod cable's fairing end has a normal USB plug that will plug into an aftermarket head's  Alpine/Kenwood) iPod USB input?  I suspect, knowing Harley, that it has some kind of proprietary plug that goes into the Harley iPod interface unit, so I'd be SOL trying to use it with the Kenwood that Lone Wolf has installed.

sammyj

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 04:13:43 PM »

It does not. Din connector same as saddle bag.
T-Man 110 CVO Stage II Kit, Jims Crankshaft & Rods, 58mm Throttle Body, SE Pro Tuner, SE Roller Rockers & Lifters, Fueling Cam Plate, Fueling Oil Pump, V&H Dresser Duals & Hi-Outputs, Barnett Scorpion Clutch, 30T Drive Sprocket, Progressive MonoTubes & 940 Rears, LED Headlight & Spots, 6" Freedom Shield, Chrome Inner Primary, Chrome Starter, Alpine & JL Audio 600 Watt 6ch Stereo with Saddle Bag Lid Speakers, Zumo 665, Kury LED
Turn Signals...

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 04:21:44 PM »

Thanks Lone Wolf.  Let us know if you can get the fairing on!! 

Does anyone know if the stock saddlebag iPod cable's fairing end has a normal USB plug that will plug into an aftermarket head's  Alpine/Kenwood) iPod USB input?  I suspect, knowing Harley, that it has some kind of proprietary plug that goes into the Harley iPod interface unit, so I'd be SOL trying to use it with the Kenwood that Lone Wolf has installed.

Dave, I just looked at the Ipod cable and module -- it looks like its all proprietary connectors.  There is about a 4 inch cable that runs out the back of the module, which plugs into the saddleback run, which disconnects at the saddlebag.  All connections are circular, non-usb connections.   

FYI.  The Ipod module is "Made in the USA" by Harmon Kardon, the AMP is made by MTX (it does not say where) -- they feel to be about the same weight.

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 04:26:23 PM »

Thanks Lone Wolf.  Let us know if you can get the fairing on!!  

The fairing is on, its a tight fit but it goes on.  The amp does not hit the fairing, but the connectors hit just a little bit, but not enough whereby the rear RCA plugs are being bent.  This could easily be avoided if you use 90 degree RCA jacks.

Road the bike yesterday, no vibration or sound coming from the faiing.  It handles normal, just like new.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 04:28:12 PM by TheLoneWolfPack »

sammyj

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 04:27:10 PM »

I tucked my ipod inside the cowl in front of the fork leg with velcro, works perfect. You could run a USB cable back into the
saddle bag... But you will need to enlarge the hole.
Turn Signals...

captdave

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 08:53:04 PM »

Thanks gents.  I was thinking about running a USB cable from front to the saddlebag.  A little bit of looking online and I found a USB cable with a waterproof female panel-mount USB connector that comes in shorter lengths that I can mount to the saddlebag where the present cable hole is now.  That way, I can retain the use of the saddelebag pouch and still be able to quick-disconnect the saddlebag off the bike.  

Lone Wolf, you haven't commented on the sound quality of your system since you finished the install!  Does it rock??

:bananarock: :bananarock:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 08:56:47 PM by captdave »

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 09:45:34 PM »

CaptDave, yes it is unbelievable!  Really makes stock sound like junk -- the new sound system is a BMW and stock a Yugo (a Ferrari being Focul speakers with Alpine amp in saddlebag) .  I've been messing with the DSP (Digital Sound Processing) -- really enhances the music, especially since most of my music is at a max bit rate.  But raining out here in California, so gotta wait to fine tune it for the road.  It has a highway mode which is suppose to neutralize road noise -- we shall see how well that works on a bike.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 20 queries.