Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Bringing up the Redline oil discussion again...  (Read 8065 times)

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: Bringing up the Redline oil discussion again...
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2012, 06:19:53 PM »

So, what kind of oil do you guys use?  ::)
Jesus is Lord

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2012, 06:25:01 PM »

I prefer Wesson Oil....with company, and a big plastic sheet on the floor...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2012, 06:47:05 PM »

Based on the theory that the heavy sticky stuff causes broken off pieces of cheap Harley parts to stick to other parts and cause further damage, I have just finished changing all my "holes" to good ol' 3 in 1 machine oil.  Nothing will stick now by gawd.  And if it does, I've still got the Teflon additive I can try.  I want my broken off cheap crap to drop to the bottom while sllithering past and around all the other parts.

btw, watch out for that Redline causing your drain plug to fall out.  The stuff is so slippery the plug can't get a grip on the threads, and it really should be safety wired.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2012, 07:17:41 PM »

Guess I'll deep fry me some Redline french fries. Wonder what color they will be.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2012, 07:34:38 AM »

REDLINE, In all 3 holes
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2012, 07:49:06 AM »

Three of the guys i ride with had trannies go out, 1 of them 1 time, the other two 2 times, Two of them use Syn 3 the other HD Tranny oil, the one that went out 1 time the bike was burn up in a house fire, I think it had about 6-8,000 miles on the bike.

I'm not a mechanic, Shade tree at the best but sounds to me like its the trannies and not so much the oil, i float the the gears just about as much as i use the clutch
and have used Redline for about 20,000 miles. Just saying  :nixweiss: :nixweiss:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Bringing up the Red line oil discussion again...
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2012, 08:36:26 AM »

i running 20-60 red line in bike with there trans and primary oil  i like it  helps with the heat and when i pull the plugs  filing are a lot Else
2009 ultra black
1962 impala 409/ 4 speed /posi rear/ 2 4 barrels

99fatboy

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2012, 09:15:01 AM »

I've been using mobil 1 15-50 car oil now for 72,600 miles in all 3 boxes. After my 5,000 mile brake in I changed over, after reading an article in American iron and reading other oil analyst tests on line I never fell for the motorcycle only oil scam for my harley again.  :2vrolijk_21:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2012, 11:27:05 AM »

I've been using mobil 1 15-50 car oil now for 72,600 miles in all 3 boxes. After my 5,000 mile brake in I changed over, after reading an article in American iron and reading other oil analyst tests on line I never fell for the motorcycle only oil scam for my harley again.  :2vrolijk_21:

The only thing you have to be careful of with automotive oil is that it contains things that are NOT good for a wet clutch, and might eventually cause the clutch to slip.  But if you've got 72K on it with that oil, it must not be hurting the clutch...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

99fatboy

« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2012, 12:05:47 PM »

The only thing you have to be careful of with automotive oil is that it contains things that are NOT good for a wet clutch, and might eventually cause the clutch to slip.  But if you've got 72K on it with that oil, it must not be hurting the clutch...
I went back to Harley's  primary oil and it felt like it had sticky catches in it. My clutch works so much smoother with the Mobil 1. And the miles on it shows for its self. At some where around 60 thou my stator burned out. My fault, I was running small airplane landing laps in the spots and a Peter Built head lamp. And pulling my trailer, it was to much for it. The wrench that did the work said my clutch and primary chain were in excellent condition. I went with a cycle shack 3 faze system then put the stock lamps in just to be sure!

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2012, 12:35:14 PM »

Unlike Jerry I like Redline in the tranny and my plug does not fall out.  I've used it in all my Harley's for many years now with over 100,000 miles and have never had an issue with it.  Tranny runs quieter and much easier to get into neutral.  our HD dealer sells it and they told us that HD approved Redline for use in their bikes, if that really makes a difference.
However one should use what ever they like.
2014 CVO Ultra Limited
2003 Heritage Springer Classic

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2012, 07:18:34 PM »

Unlike Jerry I like Redline in the tranny and my plug does not fall out.  I've used it in all my Harley's for many years now with over 100,000 miles and have never had an issue with it.  Tranny runs quieter and much easier to get into neutral.  our HD dealer sells it and they told us that HD approved Redline for use in their bikes, if that really makes a difference.
However one should use what ever they like.

I guess I need to be a little more obvious when I'm being facetious.  ::)   

I run Redline in my trans, and have done so for the past decade or so.  It looks a little weird (like Pepto Bismol), smells really really bad, and tastes absolutely terrible.  But it is a fine trans lube.  And it isn't really so slippery the plug falls out.  That only happens when some doofus in the shop forgets to tighten the plug.

Any lubricant that meets the appropriate SAE and API specifications can be used in the bikes, whether Harley approves or not.  They don't get to tell us what brand of oil we must use, thanks to various Federal laws.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2012, 07:27:53 PM »

Red line in all three holes and a Odyssey battery for me. That's what you call drinking the cool aid from this site, but I think its all good stuff.  Doc

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2012, 09:10:54 PM »

I guess I need to be a little more obvious when I'm being facetious.  ::)   

I run Redline in my trans, and have done so for the past decade or so.  It looks a little weird (like Pepto Bismol), smells really really bad, and tastes absolutely terrible.  But it is a fine trans lube.  And it isn't really so slippery the plug falls out.  That only happens when some doofus in the shop forgets to tighten the plug.

Any lubricant that meets the appropriate SAE and API specifications can be used in the bikes, whether Harley approves or not.  They don't get to tell us what brand of oil we must use, thanks to various Federal laws.

Jerry

:o I haven't tasted it, done think I want to.  :). But you are right as long as the oils meet the specs than the motor company can't say squat. 
2014 CVO Ultra Limited
2003 Heritage Springer Classic

99fatboy

« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2012, 09:40:20 PM »

Red line in all three holes and a Odyssey battery for me. That's what you call drinking the cool aid from this site, but I think its all good stuff.  Doc
I had a Odyssey battery. It lasted about one season. I was told, after I complained it was bad, that my softail charging system couldn't charge it correct and I wasn't even suppose to use one.  

I read about them and I thought they were the greatest thing going. But I got a dud and the guy that sold it to me may have been full of it and just didn't want to stand behind it. I do know someone else that put one in his Street Glide and he had to get a different battery charger for it.  

Red line oil, sure I've heard things good about it too but I'll stick to what's been working for me as well, Mobil 1 15-50 car oil in all three boxes :coolblue:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:42:46 PM by 99fatboy »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 24 queries.