Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Bringing up the Redline oil discussion again...  (Read 8013 times)

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
Re: Bringing up the Redline oil discussion again...
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2012, 08:04:54 AM »

Wow!!! I was in a room filled with Excellent mechanics in a failure analysis class.  All our conclusions of the failure were from what was obvious and what we saw with our eyes. As we looked deeper with microscopes it was amazing what we found out the root cause was. Needless to say, we were all wrong! :nixweiss: As for me, I will continue use Redline oil in my trans... :2vrolijk_21:

:bananarock:

X2  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2012, 11:49:25 AM »

I have run all redline in my 2002, but a friend of mine had a transmission completely self destruct at 70k miles (always used Heavy Shockproof) and it was not run hard or mistreated. After examination by several good mechanics the conclusion was that a broken part was held in suspension by the sticky red stuff which carried the part through all the gears and bearings. Hardly any metal had collected on the magnetic plug.... I'm going to abandon Redline based on this info.

jb

I have to call BS on that one.  It never ceases to amaze me how so many people equate gear oil to something akin to molasses.  Consult a gear oil to motor oil viscosity comparison chart and you'll find the Redline gear oil is not super thick, it's basically the same viscosity as a 50 weight motor oil.  Yes, it does "cling" to parts better than some others, but that isn't going to cause a chunk of broken off part to "stick" to other parts rather than just fall to the bottom and not tear up anything else.  Take a good look inside that trans case and you'll notice there is very little room for a part to be able to break off and fall without taking out a bunch of other stuff on the way.  The problem your friend had had nothing to do with Redline versus some other gear oil, it had to do with a substandard part that eventually failed.  Expecting a part to fail without causing any other damage to any other part within the confines of a gearbox is ridiculous. 

I fully expect that your friends trans would have been just as trashed if he had been running any other brand of lubricant, even SYN3.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2012, 11:57:46 AM »

The problem your friend had had nothing to do with Redline versus some other gear oil, it had to do with a substandard part that eventually failed.  Expecting a part to fail without causing any other damage to any other part within the confines of a gearbox is ridiculous. 

So, Jerry, you're saying this wasn't Redline's fault :P ?

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2012, 10:15:45 PM »

I have to call BS on that one.  It never ceases to amaze me how so many people equate gear oil to something akin to molasses.  Consult a gear oil to motor oil viscosity comparison chart and you'll find the Redline gear oil is not super thick, it's basically the same viscosity as a 50 weight motor oil.  Yes, it does "cling" to parts better than some others, but that isn't going to cause a chunk of broken off part to "stick" to other parts rather than just fall to the bottom and not tear up anything else.  Take a good look inside that trans case and you'll notice there is very little room for a part to be able to break off and fall without taking out a bunch of other stuff on the way.  The problem your friend had had nothing to do with Redline versus some other gear oil, it had to do with a substandard part that eventually failed.  Expecting a part to fail without causing any other damage to any other part within the confines of a gearbox is ridiculous. 

I fully expect that your friends trans would have been just as trashed if he had been running any other brand of lubricant, even SYN3.

Jerry

I have noticed that you are usually pretty right on in most of your contributions. However, I also noticed that you seem to need to prove some kind of superior mental ability by your often subtle but none the less insulting put-downs in your responses. Not trying to start a pissing contest, but it is possible to disagree with others opinions without a need to always be "Right" and without having anyone who disagrees with you be an idiot.... If you were actually were right all the time I'm pretty sure they would build churches in your name.

I draw my own conclusions from over 35 years as a mechanic on machines, automobiles, commercial and military airplanes. With top level security clearances, I have worked on some very interesting projects. Anyway, with most transmission lubes you can pour them over your fingers and remove it simply with a clean rag or paper towel. You cannot do that with Redline. It is both extremely slippery and yet very sticky at the same time. Without trying to get it off my hands I would never have thought the two properties could co-exist in one product.

When changing transmission fluid it is customary to clean off the magnetic plug to remove the small metal shavings and particles that have become displaced and were floating around loose in the case. Just for your own experience, save the largest spec of metal and try this simple test. Put a drop of any transmission fluid on your finger tip and place the flake in the drop. Turn your hand over and observe if the flake will fall out of that solution. Now try the same test with redline and let me know the result. You may be correct, I may be wrong. All I am saying is that I have not seen Redline proven beyond a doubt, so this jury won't be using it anymore.

Other than my friend’s transmission failure, my 2009 Street Glide just had to have the transmission overhauled as well. It only had about 21K miles and had always used Redline as well.

Again, it may just be me; use Redline if you like.

:2vrolijk_21: jb

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2012, 10:02:22 AM »

This thread is like passing an accident, you know you shouldn't look, but you do anyways!!!  :P

mark

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2012, 10:25:28 AM »

This thread is like passing an accident, you know you shouldn't look, but you do anyways!!!  :P

Ditto...and after reading, you know nothing more than you did last year.

Austin Shadow

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 12:46:25 AM »

Ok, here is what I can say... Red Line all the way.  Here in Central Texas where it gets over 110 in the shade... redline has saved bike after bike... running the 20-60, and then shockproof in the trans..... and their primary stuff beats all others combined...

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2012, 10:46:40 AM »

I run Redline Heavy in my tranny too, have for the last 25,000 miles.  Here's a story for you.

I get my Redline oil from BJ's Performance in Ft Madison Iowa.  They are one of the best engine builder's and machine shop's around.  The owner told me he uses Readline heavy in his Harley too.  He was 30 miles from home and noticed a whining noise in his tranny.  No obvious reason so he rode it home 65 mph for 30 miles.  When he checked the problem the drain plug had fallen out of the tranny :o

He got a new plug and filled the tranny again and he said the tranny is perfect!

He said if it wasn't for the Redline he would of been buying a new tranny.

I'm sold!
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
D&D FatCat Performance Baffle
Thundermax

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2012, 11:05:42 AM »

I run Redline Heavy in my tranny too, have for the last 25,000 miles.  Here's a story for you.

I get my Redline oil from BJ's Performance in Ft Madison Iowa.  They are one of the best engine builder's and machine shop's around.  The owner told me he uses Readline heavy in his Harley too.  He was 30 miles from home and noticed a whining noise in his tranny.  No obvious reason so he rode it home 65 mph for 30 miles.  When he checked the problem the drain plug had fallen out of the tranny :o

He got a new plug and filled the tranny again and he said the tranny is perfect!

He said if it wasn't for the Redline he would of been buying a new tranny.

I'm sold!

I'm just wondering who forgot to tighten his drain plug?

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2012, 11:15:17 AM »

do we have a vendor for Redline?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2012, 11:20:27 AM »

do we have a vendor for Redline?

www.myoilshop.com

This is where most of us buy Redline.

Glide-man

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
    • CVO2: 2009 Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2003 Serk
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2012, 01:00:19 PM »

Jerry
x2

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2012, 01:07:45 PM »

They are one of the best engine builder's and machine shop's around. 

The owner... noticed a whining noise in his tranny...  he rode it home 65 mph for 30 miles... checked the problem the drain plug had fallen out of the tranny :o

I'm sold!

I'd be a little less exuberant trusting that shop or its recommendations. 

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2012, 02:29:47 PM »

I'd be a little less exuberant trusting that shop or its recommendations. 

X2!  If they did the work!
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »

So the general CVO Harley Group census is Redline trashes your Primary and Transmission??????????Pictures don't lie???? :zwtf: :vrolijk_11:
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 20 queries.