Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Speed Sensor  (Read 1267 times)

DavidG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 **Sold**
    • CVO3: 2007 FXSTSSE **sold**
Speed Sensor
« on: October 11, 2011, 11:32:56 PM »

Has anyone had issues with the speed sensor? My speedometer started working off and on while coming back from Sturgis. Of course, the cruise quit working, the turn signals wouldn't cancel, and the engine would die randomly while idling. The dealer replaced the speed sensor and all seemed OK. This week, it started doing it again so its back at the dealer. Frustrating part is they can't get to it for 4 days at the earliest to even diagnose it. I checked with parts and they would have to order the sensor if its bad. So it looks like its going to be down for a while. I wonder if Harley is having problems with the supplier or its maybe a harness issue (hope not). Any others have problems like that?
2011 FLHXSE2

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Speed Sensor
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 09:20:20 AM »

I know it's not a Screaming Eagle but I had the speed sensor go out on my 2003 Deuce. The bike lost the speedo and just would not idle at all. Once you backed off the throttle, even at speed, the bike would die.

After speaking with the local HD service guys they receommened that I change the speed sensor AND check to see if there was any water in the transmission. They said that any amount of water will kill the sensor. Sure enough, I had a very small amount of water in the tranny. Not very much at all!

Drained, flushed and refilled the tranny, installed speed sensor and the problem was gone for good. I'm guessing I did not tighten the cap enough during the last tranny draining.

Because the problem seemed like an electrical issue I was very surprised that a simple speed sensor was the cause.

Good Luck!
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 24 queries.