Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legend Air Suspension tips?  (Read 1105 times)

lammgrel

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
Legend Air Suspension tips?
« on: October 17, 2011, 01:47:21 PM »

I am getting ready to install a Legend Air Suspension on my FLHXSE3, and am curious as to any tips, or do's and do not's anyone might have from their experience with this system.
Legend Air Suspension, Jackpot Exhaust, Fullsack 2.25" Cores, K&N High Flow Air Filter
SE Race Tuner, Windsplitter Windshield

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
Re: Legend Air Suspension tips?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 03:21:02 PM »

The only challenge I had was installing the compressor under the battery box. Maybe the newer bikes are different where the comp goes other than that the rest was easy.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 04:28:58 PM »

The only challenge I had was installing the compressor under the battery box. Maybe the newer bikes are different where the comp goes other than that the rest was easy.

They're different now, Terry.  The compressor is on a flat bracket that mounts flush between the frame members, just in back of the pan.  MUCH easier to do than the old under the battery box...that made me say a bunch of cuss words when I did that back in '06.

OP...the only thing I can suggest is to be sure and NOT extend the shocks with your hands, nor compress them.  If you're on a jack, mount the bottom of the shock with the rear tire fully off the ground, then slowly lower it until the top holes line up...it's a little touchy, but not that difficult.  Then raise it back up and run the air lines, being careful not to get them close to the hot stuff...have some black wire ties on hand.  If you're also mounting the chrome switch on the handlebar, it can go on either side...you just have to connect the wires where the top button is up and the bottom is down.  If you decide to put it on the right side, that just means swapping two wires where they connect to the leads coming off the compressor motor.   Use some dilectic (sp?) grease on the connections and make sure they are seated well into the connectors, then wire tie them right above and below the connectors.  If you can raise the tank, run the switch wires under it, along the backbone of the frame...OR, you can run them under the tank console (easier).  Putting the switch on the left side is a bit easier to use on the fly.  If you're going to try and run the switch wires internally on the bars, that's a whole 'nother ball game.  It can be done, it's just a lot more aggravating.  If you go that route, let me know, and I'll have another tip or two.

Oh yea...be sure and use Blue Loctite on the shock bolts, and TQ them down good.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 04:45:16 PM »

One other thing...I don't know for sure if your bike has the HD air shocks or the newer, non-air type.  If you do have the air shocks, plumb the air tubing up so that you can utilize the original shraeder(sp?) valve located behind the top of the left saddlebag.  That way, IF something ever happens to the air compressor, or you spring a leak on an air line (not likely), you can rig the air lines so that you can pump the shocks up at a gas station with their compressed air hose through the shraeder valve.

Jerry (Ultrafxr) had an issue on his '07 due to a screw up that the dealer did when messing around in his battery comparment...they didn't clamp the battery back down and it wiggled around enough to rub a hole in one of the air lines...he was at a GTG we attended in Hot Springs, so we patched it around and used the original valve to pump them back up and get him home.  Even if you don't have the air type shocks on the bike, it might be worth the few bucks to by the stock valve and mount it just for emergency purposes.

If you have any tubing left over, throw a piece down in the bottom of one of the bags just in case.  Oh...be sure and cut the tubing nice and square with the little cutter they provide.

TTS Mastertune

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 11:59:53 AM »

I agree Terry. The compressor under the battery was a pain and required several frustrating words. I don't remember the little tube cutter, maybe something new?

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 01:04:21 PM »

I agree Terry. The compressor under the battery was a pain and required several frustrating words. I don't remember the little tube cutter, maybe something new?

Yea...the cutter was included for the set I got for the SERGU.  I guess people were not doing a very good job cutting the tubing square.  It's just a little plastic thing, but it works fine.  Like a mini version of a thin walled PVC pipe cutter.

TTS Mastertune

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 20 queries.