Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Auto tuner suggestions?  (Read 2428 times)

ScreaminEagleRoadGlide

• Vendor
  • 2009 CVO Road Glide (FLTRSE3)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2011 Tri Glide Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2010 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 5.7
    • Hawg Wash Motorcycle Detailing
Auto tuner suggestions?
« on: October 24, 2011, 09:30:16 AM »

I'd like to install a tuner so that I'm getting the proper fuel/air ratio. I like the idea of an auto tuner that self adjusts rather than having to use a computer to load new maps or pay a service dept. to do it for me. Any brand/model suggestions? Any pros or cons about auto tuners would be appreciated also. My goal is not really for more power and speed, just wanting proper fuel/air no matter what changes I make to the bike down the road (pipes, air cleaner, etc.).

2009 Road Glide FLTRSE3
Hawg Wash Motorcycle Detailing
954-540-9874
www.hawgwashdetailing.com
South Florida's finest motorcycle detailing service!
We come to you 7 days a week in Miami-Dade, Broward & Palm Beach

gabhart

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
Re: Auto tuner suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 09:39:43 AM »

I used a Zippers Thundermax on my 2007 Ultra. I hear the newer versions are even better.
Fullsac X-Pipe "B", TTS Mastertune, Rinehart Slip-ons, full LED conversion

cold1

• Full CVO Member
    • AB

• CVO1: 04 SEEG pumpkin
    • CVO2: 2010 WOLF Big Dog
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 07:21:50 PM »

I still like my Revolution Performance"PRECISION"ecm piggy back auto-tune, good performance & great fuel mileage. CHEERS  :drink:  :pumpkin:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 07:58:09 PM »

I still like my Revolution Performance"PRECISION"ecm piggy back auto-tune, good performance & great fuel mileage. CHEERS  :drink:  :pumpkin:

Me too!

(x2!)
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 08:45:14 PM »

X2   or   3   wha'ever

mvent

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 09:09:05 PM »

Same here

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 08:40:14 AM »

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 09:52:38 AM »

I have an 09 USE4.
I started with a SSert/dyno tune.  JMO but this was a no gain.
Went to a Thundermax autotune.  Ran this one full season.
Just installed the Rev Perf EMS.
I really liked the Thundermax/autotune and have high hopes for the EMS.  

Because of the Great reviews of the EMS here, and a deal "I could not refuse" I am trying it out.  The biggest thing I hope to gain with the EMS over the Thundermax is the knock sensor timing adjustment and mpg's.

I have about 200 miles on the EMS and it appears the mpgs are better and I have not been able to make it ping.  So far success.

I do miss the way the engine fired/started with the Tmax.  The Tmax does not use the ACR's which I did NOT like.  But it started beautiful.  It would light off immediately with the push of the start button.  It started like you had doubled the size of the starter motor.  The EMS starts just like a stock HD.
The Tmax throttle was more aggressive too.  This could be a plus or minus depending on your style/personality.

At the end of next summer I will give my opinion...right now I don't have enough miles on the EMS.  

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 09:46:35 AM »

Had the Thundermax on my 07 Ultra. Liked it for the auto, not so happy cause its had to "tweak manually". Have a Racetuner on my 09 SEUC and I'm very pleased.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

strokerjlk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 10:24:21 AM »

I'd like to install a tuner so that I'm getting the proper fuel/air ratio. I like the idea of an auto tuner that self adjusts rather than having to use a computer to load new maps or pay a service dept. to do it for me. Any brand/model suggestions? Any pros or cons about auto tuners would be appreciated also. My goal is not really for more power and speed, just wanting proper fuel/air no matter what changes I make to the bike down the road (pipes, air cleaner, etc.).

2009 Road Glide FLTRSE3

so IF you had a auto tuner that could be dialed in without problems?
what would you dial it in too? how would you judge results,how would you know what your afr  actually was?
how would you determine a timing map? all these things play into a well tuned bike.

If you point your oxygen-acetylene cutting torch
at a temperature sensor and adjust it for the highest temp you have found stoichiometric
Ron Dickey

strokerjlk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 11:22:11 AM »

I like the idea of an auto tuner that self adjusts rather than having to use a computer to load new maps or pay a service dept. to do

My goal is not really for more power and speed, just wanting proper fuel/air no matter what changes I make to the bike down the road (pipes, air cleaner, etc.).

ok got a phone call about the previous post.
based on these quotes.  if you are not willing to become very intimate with a computer, become knowledgeable enough on tuning to do the job proper,then it really wont be right. could it be good enough ???
then there is the dyno portion of the tune. I know some guys that took the time to learn  PC 5 AND T-Max. and they do some very good street tuning. but they also end up paying for a little dyno time to see results @WOT. so yes it is possible. but it takes some knowledge and tools. it really isnt Magic.
the EMS looks like 50/50 to me just based on conversations with users. ? even then you are relying on a tuner or dealer type situation. (with the shipping of the ecm) when your talking down the road.
so success can be had,just realize it isnt magic :2vrolijk_21:

If you point your oxygen-acetylene cutting torch
at a temperature sensor and adjust it for the highest temp you have found stoichiometric
Ron Dickey

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 11:27:28 AM »

Thunder Max with Auto Tune, Have changed exhaust 3 times, never have tweaked the TM, Although i will say with this change to V&H HI-OUTPUT Slip on's it seems to be a little sluggish on take off, Think maybe it is a little rich?
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 11:59:51 AM »

Auto tuners do work but as Stroker pointed out if you do not put the time in then how do you know??  Or better yet what are you comparing it to. I hear all the time my bike runs great no issues, but really it is not tuned as well as it could be. Does that mean every bike needs to be re tuned ?? No just pointing out that many are not where they "could" be. 

Auto tuners like the t max use wide band sensors. If you do not spend enough time in that cell it is not getting the best sample data. Do not blame the tool it only sees what it sees.  How accurate is the sensor??? We use test gas on ours and I can tell you for fact that the sensors are throw away items.  On avg I get 15-20 tunes out of a pair of sensor before they get very slow or just too far out of spec.

If you do not ride in a certain area due to what ever reason how can the system tune itself. I get plenty of t max units that need a fair amount of tweaking. Why because the owner of the system feed into the internet deal and thinks he is fine. If it is not checked it may or may not be plain and simple.

All systems have pros and cons,
Feedback can be false though due to the fact that many of the ex systems are not locating the 02 senors is the correct location or the bung is not allowing the sensor to get good readings at low ex flow. I see this often,  customs installed the bung , it is too long or improperly located.

To compare one system to the next and stated that it does this or that better can be mis leading. If a system does not get good fuel milage, and the next does well that most likely not the system but the tune, or there lack of.  OR maybe the new system is extremely lean at that given point or range . Who knows unless you check it.

2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 12:36:13 PM »

Auto tuners do work but as Stroker pointed out if you do not put the time in then how do you know??  Or better yet what are you comparing it to. I hear all the time my bike runs great no issues, but really it is not tuned as well as it could be. Does that mean every bike needs to be re tuned ?? No just pointing out that many are not where they "could" be. 

if you are not willing to become very intimate with a computer, become knowledgeable enough on tuning to do the job proper,then it really wont be right. could it be good enough ???

so success can be had,just realize it isnt magic :2vrolijk_21:

If I didn't know better I would read your posts and believe that all bikes that have been dyno tuned are "right" or "all they can be".
Lets be honest there are a huge percentage of dyno tuned bikes that are completely screwed up.  Plenty of tuners that used a dyno and never touched the timing..NOT one adjustment.  Many people take it to an HD dealer and think they have a perfectly tuned bike when they get done.  What they really get is a base map from a previous bike or just a stage1 map.  Not attacking either of you personally but simply pointing out that a dyno is like a piano.  Anybody can sit in front of one and pound keys and make noise, doesn't mean it is always music. 

As far as the EMS it is pretty hard to argue Twolanerider's results on his 05. 

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 12:45:35 PM »

I do not take it personal. I can see your point. However I hope that you can see mine as well. And one person or even 10 people that run the system and say its great does not mean they are correct.  I can tune and do tune bikes with just about every system out there. As I said all have there pros and cons. But the dyno is only a tool and used correctly will get the results that make everyone happy the other way around well there you have it.

Understand that I see 175+ bikes a year on the drum. I have a sheet here that has a so called spot on tuning system. Here the sheet is , in alls its glory.  So you tell me is this bike tuned?? Customer thought it ran well but was just a bit sluggish in the low end.  I could go around and name the system and slam them yada yada yada.   Point is every bike is like a finger print just a tad different than the next. At a quick look they are the same but under close inspection nothing alike.

I am telling you what I see first hand doing this for a living, If I thought there was ONE best tuner I would tell you. It is not as simple as that.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 24 queries.