Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SE Airfilter & Stage 1 Download - Baffles/Tips Nxt  (Read 1799 times)

bluesei2

• HD4me
SE Airfilter & Stage 1 Download - Baffles/Tips Nxt
« on: June 23, 2006, 10:57:41 AM »

I just installed a high flow SE air cleaner and had the dealer download the Stage 1 cartridge.  They said they had a tough time getting the bike to idle correctly but after some time with their scanner, they got it dialed in.  What I'd like to do next is change out the baffles to get a throater better sound and maybe change out the tips but I don't want to negatively impact how the bike runs.  Has anybody already "traveled this road" and have any advice/ideas?   If I make the baffle/tip change, am I likely to need yet a different download?  Thks

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
Re: SE Airfilter & Stage 1 Download - Baffles/Tips
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 01:35:43 PM »

you will get different opinions about the EFi units...first off your  bike came stock with the stage 1 download...so exactly what did the dealership do to your scoot..some people didnot even need a download when just installing the intake kit,some people did...I had every different pipe/intake/powercommander download known to man and was never happy with the peformance,seems you get 1 in a bunch that just has a hard time with idle control and basic peformance....as for me I am a carb man,,I can peform any modifications myself with out expensive downloads and or powercommander or race tuner....my ride is all stock down to the stock cv carb I found on ebay....had to install a bigger slow speed jet to acomadate the 1550 motor..there are some guys here who love the mm injection...read some of the older threads in this catagory and you will get a good feel for what you want out of your bike,hope my past experiences helps,headpan by the way welcome aboard!!
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 11:36:36 PM »

His bike came with cal id 270cg278 (270cg276 was it's predacessor)  These are the cals that actually became and remain the 1550 Stage II cal from SE.  These cals work well with simply a set of the SE Kerker style slip ons, or removing the freeze plugs from the rear of his OE muffler and installing an open endcap - the sharkfins are too restrictive.  If a cough or spit occurred, kicking the tp voltage up by .05 volts from it's base setting worked awesome.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

bluesei2

• HD4me
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 11:01:31 PM »

Thanks Panhead and One_Screamin_Eagle for your replies.  Thanks also Panhead for the welcome but I've been around awhile now.  Not sure how long it takes to lose Newbie status.  Anyway thanks for the tips.  I'll check out the other threads but other than maybe baffles and end caps I don't have plans to do any further performance modifications.  The bike is tight and runs very strong.

I like you Panhead like carbs and have a CV on my '01 Fatboy.  I modified the mufflers and jetted the carb and it runs a ton better than it did stock.  

As far as the download One_Screamin_Eagle, the cartridge did not have a number on it, only labels with SE 1550 Stage 1.  I didn't have Scanalyzer to do the load myself and when I talked to the dealer, they said this download was appropriate to accompany the high flow SE air cleaner.  I'm glad I let them do it as they were able to get it dialed in when the idling problems occurred.

again thanks,

Bluesei2

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 02:38:36 PM »

1550 Stage 1 means no cams and street legal mufflers.  Your bike had 203 cams from the factory.  That is the INCORRECT download.  What came in your bike is what people purchase over the counter as an SE 1550 Stage II.  The bike idles badly because it was too lean.  I bet you 100$ they moved the tp sensor and or played with the air bleeds to deliver a different mixture at idle.  But now at cruise you're lean.  I know for a fact that you have the wrong download if it is a 1550 Stage I.  I have seen this first hand repeatedly when people load the wrong software flash then blame it on hardware and play with the TP and air bleeds.  If the dealer loads a stock map for your VIN#, you will have a 1550 Stage II and it is free because it is an OE cal for your bike.  But now it will be too rich because they monkeyed with things.  Check it out - I'll accept paypal for the $$$  8-)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 03:09:29 PM by One_Screamin_Eagle »
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 24 queries.