Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Concealed Weapons  (Read 3536 times)

TexTaz

• Junior CVO Member
Concealed Weapons
« on: June 24, 2006, 07:42:31 PM »

Up top there was a thread about locking up / protecting ones ride.  I was curious how many members carry when they're riding ?
Do you always carry ?  Only on long trips ?
If you're carrying, & you go to a bar what do you do with your handgun ?
How many carry open (ie. in a holster for all to see ?)  I saw at least three guys doing this at HOG rally in Chattanooga?
If you carry concealed what have you found to work best ?  Belt holster and jacket? Shoulder holster?  
I once saw an ad for a leater vest that had a built in holder, I'd like to find that again now that I have a need.
What's the handgun of choice ?   What other options do you guys have ?  I've been considering one of the expanding/retractable batons that law enforcement uses as an alternative.  
"06 FLHTCUSE
Upgrades TBD

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Concealed Weapons
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 07:54:45 PM »

Given that it seems there's always some idiot everywhere who feels he has something to prove or is in some other way idiotic then, as often as it seems to come up, this is a question I'd still never answer or otherwise discuss in an open public forum.  What others don't know is more often to one's benefit.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 08:53:43 PM »

Given that it seems there's always some idiot everywhere who feels he has something to prove or is in some other way idiotic then, as often as it seems to come up, this is a question I'd still never answer or otherwise discuss in an open public forum.  What others don't know is more often to one's benefit.
Well said. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] One other thing I might add to this is, you'd better check w/laws of the city/states you are going to be traveling in. Some places have zero tolerance for handguns, and most you will need a permit to carry a concealed weapon. You can however carry a weapon in most places on your side in plain view that is legal.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 09:48:13 PM »

Up top there was a thread about locking up / protecting ones ride.  I was curious how many members carry when they're riding ?
Do you always carry ?  Only on long trips ?

It's illegal to shoot someone who's stealing your property in most locales.  [smiley=rifle.gif] Of course, it's usually not cut and dried by the time it's all over.  :-X spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 10:47:09 PM »

The Almighty gave me, and you, certain inalienable rights.  One of those rights, encompassed in the pursuit of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness, is to keep and bear arms.  The Second Amendment, to the Constitution of the United States of America, protects that right.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD  
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 11:44:19 PM »

[size=48]Ditto[/size]

475wildey

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 11:53:30 PM »

The Almighty gave me, and you, certain inalienable rights.  One of those rights, encompassed in the pursuit of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness, is to keep and bear arms.  The Second Amendment, to the Constitution of the United States of America, protects that right.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD  

another excellent post Mr. Hubbard !!!
2005 fxdwg              
124 S&S                  
B2 heads                  
640 S&S cams    

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 11:54:33 PM »

Hi TexTaz,
Many wise opinions have already been spoken. The right to carry is a Second Admendment Right that has been interpeted in many different ways in many jurisdictions.
I strongly suggest you investigate all of the concealed carry laws for every jurisdiction you plan to ride in.
The idea of carring a weapon will give you some piece of mind but as you seem to know it has some downsides as well.It will affect the way you dress and move about and may limit your activities such as going into government buildings or in some states bars and churches etc. You of course have to know when to use deadly force and when not to as well as preparing yourself for the decision to use it and the after effects. Those effects could be mental ,social or legal (law suits,a trial etc.)
If you decide that you want to carry a weapon you need to prepare to use it without hesitation or it may be used against you. You also need to pratice so you can use it properly and not hurt yourself or innocent bystanders.Also retention techniques so it won't be taken from you.
Most non lethal weapons such as pepper spray,tasers or batons are only one step above using your hands but are fine in trained hands but are only one step in a defensive situation where a person may have to testify that they tried to use the lowest amount of force nessessary to stop someone.
To paraphrase an old saying you don't bring a (spray,taser,baton or knife) to a gunfight. Like others have said you can't just use deadly force to stop someone from taking your property. You would need to to justify your use of force no matter what you use.
A knife is a very dangerious and effective weapon within 21 feet of someone.Again I wouldn't want one in a gunfight but it beats nothing.Many jurisdictions have laws concerning concealed knives too.
To try and answer some of your questions,
Use the largest calibre hollowpoint you can effectively handle and hit the target every time. A hit witha .22 is better than a miss with a .44! As far as weapon type I like the durability of the Glock handguns. They can withstand constant wear and exposure to weather and sweat.They are also very accurate right out of the box.
As far a carry styles that can vary on body shape and physical condition as well as weather but as a general rule you should try to carry a weapon in the same spot every time and pratice often. If you have to move like a circus performer to draw the weapon it may not be a pratical spot.
If you have a chance go through a Concealed Weapons training class in your state to get some ideas and pratice. The NRA should have info on classes in your area.
Good luck with your decision which ever way you go.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 08:22:45 AM »

while i belive this, we all know its not that simple. and as VaEagle said if you plan on crossing any state lines check with the state police in each of them. you may find its not worth the hassle to carry on the road. you could choose to ignore the various state laws but should you be stopped for anything and they discover that you are carrying from out of state. there's good odds you will never make it to said event in the first place.....
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 08:39:32 AM »

while i belive this, we all know its not that simple. and as VaEagle said if you plan on crossing any state lines check with the state police in each of them. you may find its not worth the hassle to carry on the road. you could choose to ignore the various state laws [highlight]but should you be stopped for anything [/highlight]and they discover that you are carrying from out of state. there's good odds you will never make it to said event in the first place.....
One of the main reasons I don't ride at excessive speeds.  [smiley=policeman.gif] har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 10:20:22 AM »

Sometimes officer friendly isn't so friendly if they need to stop you and somehow gets his nose out of joint.......

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 12:06:06 PM »

Sometimes officer friendly isn't so friendly if they need to stop you and somehow gets his nose out of joint.......

That man lusted after our bikes (really).

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2006, 02:09:14 PM »

VaEagle, Twolane, spyder, and Rjob749, all make valid and important points.  I hope and pray I NEVER have to use a handgun in defense of my person, or family.  I try my best to stay away from people and places, where trouble abides.  That way of life doesn't interest me anymore.  However, I would rather have a handgun and not need it, as opposed to needing one, and not having it.  Two big Ol' Boys worked Ol' Hub over pretty good one time, long ago.  I promised myself that night, I would always have the difference with me, from that moment on.  That was December 31, 1978.  I have kept that promise, and stand prepared to deal with the consequences of that decision, should any come up.  It's been years since I walked around packing a piece, unless I have business that requires me to be around a UMWA picket line.  Then, I'm packin'.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD            
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 02:34:24 PM »

Well said Hubbard,
Using your brain and avoiding bad situations is the best thing to do if possible.Society should not fear the honest decent person who is packing a weapon. They do need to realize the police can't be everywhere at once so people should take responsibility to protect themselves,their loved ones and the innocent.
A problem arises when lawmakers and the general public don't grow up around guns and see them as important tools in life,to them they are strange and dangerious things with no pratical use. They seem to think that passing a law will keep someone safe and that is just an illusion.
Society needs to hold the person responsible for their own actions,don't blame the gun!
I like the old sayings "Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6" and also "An armed society is a polite society."
Not that everyone should be packing but if you pass a good backround check and qualify then you should be allowed anywhere in this country with a weapon but you are responsible for it's proper use and storage.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2006, 02:36:55 PM »

VaEagle, Twolane, spyder, and Rjob749, all make valid and important points.  I hope and pray I NEVER have to use a handgun in defense of my person, or family.  I try my best to stay away from people and places, where trouble abides.  [highlight]That way of life doesn't interest me anymore. [/highlight] However, I would rather have a handgun and not need it, as opposed to needing one, and not having it.  Two big Ol' Boys worked Ol' Hub over pretty good one time, long ago.  I promised myself that night, I would always have the difference with me, from that moment on.  That was December 31, 1978.  I have kept that promise, and stand prepared to deal with the consequences of that decision, should any come up.  It's been years since I walked around packing a piece, unless I have business that requires me to be around a UMWA picket line.  Then, I'm packin'.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD            
You ain't dead yet, now are you, Hub?  Thar endeth thu tale!   Har!  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  spyder
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 20 queries.