Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Lift Idea Needed  (Read 1482 times)

sixgun95

• Full CVO Member
Lift Idea Needed
« on: November 06, 2011, 11:06:53 PM »

I need a lift or trolly that will allow me to spin the bike around in the garage easily.  The way my driveway and parking situation is allows me to pull in but backing out is a bear, if I can easily spin it 180 deg would be awesome.  Ideas? 
2015 Ultra Limited Low

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
Re: Lift Idea Needed
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 11:22:57 PM »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 12:01:55 AM »

Kill two birds with one stone.  Get a bike lift.  Folks rave about the Pitbull lifts.  But there are many others.  Jack the bike up for cleaning or maintenance or jack the bike up to spin it round.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 01:04:09 AM by Twolanerider »

sixgun95

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 12:59:25 AM »

The Pitbull with the 360 deg platform may be the ticket
2015 Ultra Limited Low

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 01:26:35 AM »

Saw the Pitbull at Biketoberfest this year.  That made my mind up, it is what I am getting.  I would have bought it there but shipping would have hurt, along with having to Pay TN tax as they are from TN.  So I will drive my truck and go get one and save.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 05:40:25 AM »

Try a STAND, they used to make a stand that you used after jacking it up. How it worked is you used your regular motorcycle jack which everyone should agree with once you have your bike up on them they don't move quite so easy. But there is a stand that once the bike is lifted you slide this under the bike and then lower the bike with the jack down onto this stand. You can move your bike in any direction with your fingers. I don't know who makes them anymore and have not seen them for sale in a while, but if you would like I can take pictures and measurements so you could build your own.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 06:43:25 AM »

I have the pitbull..great lift and if your garage floor doesn't have too many big cracks, you can spin the lift around with the bike on it with ease. No need for the platform....

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 08:36:02 AM »

I have the pitbull..great lift and if your garage floor doesn't have too many big cracks, you can spin the lift around with the bike on it with ease. No need for the platform....

How about a plywood floor ? I have a 16 x 24 garage raised off the ground. My initial thoughts was to throw another 3/4" sheet where I would leave the lift......I have already dinged up a saddle bag jockying the bike around inside the garage....................The Pitbull with the rotating table would be the answer....................but I'm worried about the flex in the plywood..............Any suggestions?...........................Fuzz   
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 08:57:46 AM »

How about a plywood floor ? I have a 16 x 24 garage raised off the ground. My initial thoughts was to throw another 3/4" sheet where I would leave the lift......I have already dinged up a saddle bag jockying the bike around inside the garage....................The Pitbull with the rotating table would be the answer....................but I'm worried about the flex in the plywood..............Any suggestions?...........................Fuzz   

Not sure how much flex in the plywood there would be....maybe another 3/4" piece would be a good idea. As for the platform--it's nice but just remember you won't have access to under the eng and trans or anything between the frame rails while the bike is sitting on the platform. In my garage I am able to turn the bike around completely by moving the entire lift with the bike on it. Just don't know how it will be on a plywood floor.

How far apart are the joists that support the floor??

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 10:40:10 AM »

Maybe throw a thin steel plate down where the jack will sit (on top of whatever floor thickness is necessary for load bearing)?  To keep the weight of the bike and jack coming down through it's four small contact points at the wheels from making depressions in the floor over winter storage months?

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 11:08:02 AM »

[/quote]

12"...............I seen trucks...........albeit pickups. Parked in the models when I was checking out these types of garages. 3/4 treated is on there now.

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 11:13:27 AM »

Maybe throw a thin steel plate down where the jack will sit (on top of whatever floor thickness is necessary for load bearing)?  To keep the weight of the bike and jack coming down through it's four small contact points at the wheels from making depressions in the floor over winter storage months?

Steel would be thinner to roll over. 1/4" Thick........ But it will be heavy to handle...................But I like that better than the 3/4 plywood.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 11:18:39 AM »

Steel would be thinner to roll over. 1/4" Thick........ But it will be heavy to handle...................But I like that better than the 3/4 plywood.

Wouldn't need much Rich.  1/8" steel plate just a little bigger than the footprint of the lift.  If the joists are on 12" centers make the plate 16" so you know you'll always be catching two supports.  Jack will want to roll more easily on the plate than on the plywood so do something to make sure it stays put when left unattended.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 12:28:46 PM »

12"...............I seen trucks...........albeit pickups. Parked in the models when I was checking out these types of garages. 3/4 treated is on there now.

Should be fine, but I like the idea of the steel plate for long term storage.

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 03:13:59 PM »

Wouldn't need much Rich.  1/8" steel plate just a little bigger than the footprint of the lift.  If the joists are on 12" centers make the plate 16" so you know you'll always be catching two supports.  Jack will want to roll more easily on the plate than on the plywood so do something to make sure it stays put when left unattended.

Cool....................................I can pick the steel up locally.................Thanks for the suggestions.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 24 queries.