Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Loud Pipes  (Read 11385 times)

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Loud Pipes
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 11:11:04 PM »

I have to agree with Twolane on this. If I can't hear chit riding behind you or you wake me up at 2am your pipes are too loud.

W-H-A-T .......

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 12:04:13 AM »

Actually, defensive driving (riding) saves lives, not obnoxiously loud pipes.  But there again, defensive driving (riding) requires a certain minimum amount of intelligence, whereas riding around with straight pipes and pizzing off everyone nearby requires no brains at all.  ;)

Jerry

Very well said Jerry. Totally agree. :2vrolijk_21:

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 07:42:44 AM »

The noise thing on electric cars is at low speeds and mainly about pedestrians.  But they have a plan - speakers to produce noise so people can hear them.  I kid you not.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

pado

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: Longhorn
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 08:05:39 AM »

I have to agree with Twolane on this. If I can't hear chit riding behind you or you wake me up at 2am your pipes are too loud.

:oops: :oops:  You'll be the first to agree with him I think. :D :D
Founding Member and Zen Master of Pondering, Hankering and Moseying Society with all accolades and privileges

Charter Member of CVO Critter Gawking Society

Master Bloody Mary Mixologist

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 08:25:48 AM »

The noise thing on electric cars is at low speeds and mainly about pedestrians.  But they have a plan - speakers to produce noise so people can hear them.  I kid you not.

I think it's a sign of our times.  People with too much time on their hands and an agenda to push seem to think that we need to make vehicles loud enough so that not only blind people, but the much larger segment of the population that is just not paying attention to anything, will be able to cross the street without looking.  All those folks walking around with their iPhones and iPads sending their latest tweets about how they just saw a killer dress in the window or some hot babe over on Michigan Avenue can't be bothered to actually look up at the street and the people and vehicles around them.  People are run over every day by cars and trucks and buses that are far from silent. 

I hate to rain on anyones parade, but with all the running of red lights going on around here and seemingly everywhere, crossing any street without paying 100% attention to what you're doing is insane.  And with all the other ambient noise in any built up area, much less busy city streets, putting some goofy speaker with sound effects on a Prius isn't likely to make any difference.  Blind people need to face reality and ask for assistance crossing streets, and sighted people need to get their heads out of their azz and pay attention.

btw, I think the latest recommendation was a recording of some middle aged juvenile revving his Harley with straight pipes.  They were looking for something really obnoxious that no one could miss, and figured that was about as obnoxious as anything else out there.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 10:44:10 AM »

:oops: :oops:  You'll be the first to agree with him I think. :D :D

Nah, the voices go along with me us all the time; sometimes.

kerb

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 10:59:35 AM »

My pipes aren't too loud.  You are just following too close  ;D

sinktip

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 11:10:49 AM »

Loud pipes are like gun ownership. They come with a responsibility. If you can't keep from rapping your pipes at streetlights or shifting at the redline when in your local neighborhood, you shouldn't be allowed to own them.

If however you don't like riding behind me because of my pipes, I probably don't want to ride with you anyway.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 03:05:29 PM by sinktip »

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 02:13:57 PM »

I have Rineharts on mine but after my amp and four speaker upgrade, my tunes are louder than my pipes, round and round we go, lol.
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 09:22:57 PM »

Having a flashing red beacon on top of your helmet would probably saves lives too.  Maybe while wearing a bright yellow neon slicker with reflective 3M tape also but too much of anything can be just that, too much. That goes for exhaust noise too.
Jesus is Lord

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 09:39:58 PM »

Finally got my kid to take the obnocious very loud pipes(V&H Long Shots) off his RKC. Put on a set of BUB 7's and now he even says....they were to loud weren't they!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2011, 09:40:52 PM »

Had cars pull out in front of me when I was wearing a reflective vest (req when in military) and I've had people come over on me when I'm on my quiet bikes. Had numerous advanced rider courses. The combination of the pipes and the defensive driving has saved my ass many a time. I'm keeping mine loud.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

sglide4me

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2011, 10:13:14 PM »

When it comes to increasing safety because of visibility, sound, or actions I have to say that defensive riding is the best. Simply because there are only certain situations where sound may prevail in your safety, the rest is left to visibility and your actions. For instance don't you ever wonder how the hell anyone can get hit by a train if its not intentional? I don't think there is anything louder than a train horn when it comes by to warn that it has arrived. Yet many people are killed every year by trains. I do like to be heard on my bike, but I don't consider loud pipes an extension of my safety zone. 

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 02:49:02 AM »

Actually, loud pipes, defensive driving, loud horns, reflective vests and whatever else you can come up with to make yourself more noticeable on your ride saves lives. And it's not about measuring. If you like your pipes loud, run 'em loud. I run a D&D fat cat and love it because it sounds good to me. Yes, it's loud.  :2vrolijk_21:

Your Fat Cat is the best-sounding pipe I've ever heard, man! But I'll bet I can take you with my Fullsac X-Pipe and 2" baffles, 54H cams, and my tune... you up for it?  :2vrolijk_21:

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2011, 05:05:04 AM »

With the sound protection levels in modern cars loud pipes are an exercise in "my peepee is bigger than yours."  Only other people that hear them are the other poor unfortunate bikes stuck riding behind and the civilians in the residential neighborhoods that are ridden through.

It's the residential neighborhoods that rose up in Maine.
The let's see if I can make the windoes rattle on the buildings on both sides of a narrow street. Let's see how loud we can make it riding under a highway bridge.
Consequently Maine passed a Loud Noise Law, pretty much directed and MCs. The law purposely did not define a Db Level. It also does state "Must Have Mufflers or something that has the appearance of a muffler. Straight Pipes with Baffles are not acceptable.The LEOs can make their own decision as to what is loud. In May this year Maine made a slight modification. If stopped and issued a sumons, you can now go to select inspection stations and take the DOT tests. If found to be 95 Dbs or less under the test conditions, then you are good to go. If not, you will pay a $135 fine.

This past summer Spyderman was behaving as sensible as one can regarding the Loud Noise Law. He was still questioned once or twice by the LEOs. In his case he has a CA plate and riding in ME, so no summons was issued or major problems encountered.

I do support one's right to make their own choices as long as they are willing to accept the consequences.

When I get ready to boot up my 03 SERK Power, I am considering this combination.
V&H Power Duals
http://www.vanceandhines.com/store/touring/headers/16759
coupled with
SuperTrapp Stout 4” Slip-Ons
http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/cat.asp?CatID=85
SuperTrapp Stouts are SAE-J2825 sound compliant - They will pass Maine's Loud Noise Law.
At 95.6 dB @ 2,000 rpm, or 2.4dB over stock 2010 Exhaust

DR
Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' Eagle® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.