Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: How is the seat on the '12 FLHXSE3?  (Read 2955 times)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
How is the seat on the '12 FLHXSE3?
« on: November 19, 2011, 12:50:45 PM »

Thinking about a new seat and wondering how good the solo seat is on the '12 SESG3. Anybody do any good trips with it yet???

Before I run out and try to deal with Corbin again.....

Just asking about the new seat on the '12--I don't want to start a "which seat is the best" thread....

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
Re: How is the seat on the '12 FLHXSE3?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 04:13:23 PM »

It SUCKS! Looks beautiful, but it's very thin with no butt support, and no H-D rider backrest is available. It KILLED me to ride on it the first week. Must have been designed by some hot-shot 22-year-old in Milwaukee. Virtually worthless for anyone over 40.

First thing I did was put that useless thing in a box in the garage, and got a Corbin SoloTour with a rider backrest. I have ridden all day six times on the Corbin, including my recent trip to FL, and I've never even had to shift around on it. You can ride all day on a Corbin. First thing you should do is replace the stock seat with one... with a backrest!

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 05:18:52 PM »

It SUCKS! Looks beautiful, but it's very thin with no butt support, and no H-D rider backrest is available. It KILLED me to ride on it the first week. Must have been designed by some hot-shot 22-year-old in Milwaukee. Virtually worthless for anyone over 40.

First thing I did was put that useless thing in a box in the garage, and got a Corbin SoloTour with a rider backrest. I have ridden all day six times on the Corbin, including my recent trip to FL, and I've never even had to shift around on it. You can ride all day on a Corbin. First thing you should do is replace the stock seat with one... with a backrest!

I already owned a Corbin solo so I know how good it is....just liking the look of the new Harley solo so I thought I would consider it. The lack of a backrest is not an issue for me. No butt support will be a problem though......thanks for the info

Mike

Bag Man

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Atomic Orange & Galaxy Grey
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 06:05:52 PM »

As the saying goes, "there's an ass for every seat"!  I'm shy of 6',  ~220 lbs. and over 50.  Have done several  300 mile day trips on the stock seat and didn't have any problem.   I usually don't care for the stock seats; they usually break you bad.  So it was always a Corbin solo for me, as well, but my stock seat is great looking and for me, it was comfortable.  The no backrest is a concern for a longer trip---will switch to the Corbin with the backrest for  500 mile/day week+ trips.    Nothing beats Corbin for the long distance, but their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.    Try your stock one out.   The Corbin didn't really fee great until ~2000 miles for me, so your HD seat may take a while too.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 06:12:22 PM »

As the saying goes, "there's an ass for every seat"!  I'm shy of 6',  ~220 lbs. and over 50.  Have done several  300 mile day trips on the stock seat and didn't have any problem.   I usually don't care for the stock seats; they usually break you bad.  So it was always a Corbin solo for me, as well, but my stock seat is great looking and for me, it was comfortable.  The no backrest is a concern for a longer trip---will switch to the Corbin with the backrest for  500 mile/day week+ trips.    Nothing beats Corbin for the long distance, but their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.    Try your stock one out.   The Corbin didn't really fee great until ~2000 miles for me, so your HD seat may take a while too.

Appreciate the opinion....it's not a matter of me trying my stock one out..I have an '11 and I am going to buy a new seat and the '12 solo caught my eye and was looking for reviews.

CVO2012

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 07:30:30 PM »

Well
Here is my 2012 CVO SG with its solo seat from C&Cseats
It's wonderful
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=68429.0

Thinking about a new seat and wondering how good the solo seat is on the '12 SESG3. Anybody do any good trips with it yet???

Before I run out and try to deal with Corbin again.....

Just asking about the new seat on the '12--I don't want to start a "which seat is the best" thread....

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 08:57:09 PM »

Well
Here is my 2012 CVO SG with its solo seat from C&Cseats
It's wonderful
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=68429.0

Didn't want to turn this into a thread about seats ...but...I have a C&C seat now and it gets uncomfortable after a few hours. Everyone's butt is different.....My Corbin on my last bike was fine for the whole day, I just wanted to investigate the new HD solo before I ordered anything.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 09:39:11 PM »

I like the stock seat. Only its missing the backrest! :orange:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 10:11:46 PM »

Gotta go with Van's assessment.  The stock seat is really nice, but needs a backrest.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 05:20:10 PM »

It sounds like I may have to give it a try. Can I ask what secures the seat to the fender. From what it looks like in the parts book, it's a small stud plate that mounts to the 2 bolts on the rear fender--is that right??

Also--are there grooves under the passenger seat pad that allow for the 2 strips that are mounted on the fender, or is the seat laying on those 2 strips???

I'm trying to see what I need from the parts book.

Thanks
Mike

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 06:59:27 PM »

I like the stock seat. Only its missing the backrest! :orange:

I saw Vans Saturday and I saw one at a Dealership and liked what they did with the seat, giving the option of solo or two up with the separate pilon, as mentioned a backrest is needed.

Mike

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 07:34:27 PM »

It sounds like I may have to give it a try. Can I ask what secures the seat to the fender. From what it looks like in the parts book, it's a small stud plate that mounts to the 2 bolts on the rear fender--is that right??

Also--are there grooves under the passenger seat pad that allow for the 2 strips that are mounted on the fender, or is the seat laying on those 2 strips???

I'm trying to see what I need from the parts book.

Thanks
Mike

The solo seat mounts to the two threaded stock that come up from the rear fender.  The "nuts" that tighten the front seat down to the fender have grooves that the two prongs on the front of the pillion pad slide into and then the pillion is secured with the one bolt in the fender.  The pillion seat is lined on the bottom with a felt-like material and it rests on the two chrome/rubber strips on the fender.  Hope this helps.

2012 FLHXSE3

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 08:08:30 PM »

The solo seat mounts to the two threaded stock that come up from the rear fender.  The "nuts" that tighten the front seat down to the fender have grooves that the two prongs on the front of the pillion pad slide into and then the pillion is secured with the one bolt in the fender.  The pillion seat is lined on the bottom with a felt-like material and it rests on the two chrome/rubber strips on the fender.  Hope this helps.

It certainly does!!!! So all I would need to order is the 2 seats, the special nuts and the strips for the fender.....or maybe I will just start out with the rider seat (and some nuts)and see if I like it....thanks for the info.....

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 08:10:12 PM »

It certainly does!!!! So all I would need to order is the 2 seats, the special nuts and the strips for the fender.....or maybe I will just start out with the rider seat (and some nuts)and see if I like it....thanks for the info.....
Yep, that's all you'd have to do. :) 

2012 FLHXSE3

Vyscera

• Angsty Youth
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FXDFSE2- Taken out by a Ford
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 10:01:02 AM »

maybe this will help some folks needing back support. But IMHO, I'm 26 and have a hard time doing more than 3 hours at a time on the stock seat. I'm eye balling the mahogany roadglide seat... oooh.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=68204.0
Motorbreath is how I live my life, I cant take it any other way...
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 24 queries.