Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: H-D Road Zeppelin Seat ???  (Read 5072 times)

2010 FLHX

H-D Road Zeppelin Seat ???
« on: December 02, 2011, 04:08:40 AM »

New here and so shoot me if this has been beat to death.

Looking to replace the stock Street Glide seat w/ the Road Zeppelin. Some discussion online saying that it's big and wide -- looks like a floatation device. Well, stock seat is 16" width. Road Zep is 20" and adj. fore / aft for cushioning. Fits w/ stock H-D backrests and passenger grab rails. (I have both.)

Road Zeppelin® Air Adjustable Seat

51072-09  MSRP US $729.95

Fits '08-later Touring and Trike models (except FLHXXX). Installation on '12 FLTRXSE and FLHXSE3 models requires removal of fender trim strips. Seat width 20.0"; passenger pillion width 14.5".

We've added the 7" LED high intensity H-D  headlight, 10" Windsplitter screen, luggage rack. Looking to "haul freight" -- not hop the bars or pose at the turn-around. We do 500 mile rides, day-in day-out. Did about 3K in 5 days last summer, and we're just getting warmed up.

And so . . . looking for cushy under the Iron Butt. Anyone have the Road Zep?  
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:59:09 PM by 2010 FLHX »

1betsy1

Re: H-D Road Zeppelin Seat ???
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 06:28:49 AM »

Ive been using RZ seats for about 60k, and would not ride with anything else.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 11:28:55 AM »

New here and so shoot me if this has been beat to death.

Looking to replace the stock Street Glide seat w/ the Road Zeppelin. Some discussion online saying that it's big and wide -- looks like a floatation device. Well, stock seat is 16" width. Road Zep is 20" and adj. fore / aft for cushioning. Fits w/ stock H-D backrests and passenger grab rails. (I have both.)

We've added the 7" LED high intensity H-D  headlight, 10" Windsplitter screen, luggage rack. Looking to "haul freight" -- not hop the bars or pose at the turn-around. We do 500 mile rides, day-in day-out. Did about 3K in 5 days last summer, and we're just getting warmed up.

And so . . . looking for cushy under the Iron Butt. Anyone have the Road Zep?  

I had a RZ on my 02 Ultra.  Rode it for 5 years.  Comfortable seat and liked the adjustability.  However, to be perfectly honest with you, the "sling seat" that came with my '11 CVO RG Ultra is more comfortable than the RZ ever was, plus my BSR likes the seat also.  Works with the grab rails, no problem (even though the P&A catalog says no), and the heated portion is worth it's weight in gold on those chilly early morning start ups.  I was thinking of going back to the RZ until they came out with the "sling" touring seat.  You might want to check it out.  It's definitely not as bulky looking as the RZ and, IMO, more comfortable.  Very easy to do 500 mile days in it.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

2010 FLHX

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 01:48:39 PM »

For reference:

Harley® Hammock Rider and Passenger Touring Seat

52000003 Without Heat

Fits '09-later Touring and Trike models. Trike models require separate purchase of Paint Guard Kit P/N 52000013. Does not fit models equipped with Passenger Grab Rail P/N 97026-09. Installation on '12 FLTRXSE and FLHXSE3 models requires removal of fender trim strips. Seat width 17.5"; passenger pillion width 15.0".

MSRP US $499.95

52000004 With Heat, MSRP US $899.95

I'm liking the 20" width on the Zep. Stock seat on the Glide is 16" -- another 3/4" on each side of the butt cheeks is not really that much of an improvement for me. I have some sciatica in the rt. hip and need the width support or my leg starts to fall asleep. The ability to adjust suspension on a ride really appeals. At the risk of setting MoCo bananas on marketing, I really don't much care about the cost. If it's what I'm looking for (and it seems to be), I'm OK w/ price.

Or as my friend Dave says, "If they weren't so expensive, we'd be shopping in Wal-Mart. You don't want a Wal-Mart scooter, eh?"

I concede that "Less bulky appearance" is not an issue. I can swap out the stock seat in seconds. I like the concept of a HUGE, fat, wide, pneumatic looking "floatation device" for seating. Now and then I look at my rig and think, "Jeez! It could stand to be a bit bigger." :D

« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:52:34 PM by 2010 FLHX »

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 01:55:29 PM »

Also look at the Mustang "Super" touring seat.  About 19" wide with or without heat.  They say it moves you back 1.5"..  Have to use their backrest.  Just a thought.

Seats are like mufflers and handlebars-not everyone likes the same.

2010 FLHX

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 02:03:52 PM »

Also look at the Mustang "Super" touring seat.  About 19" wide with or without heat.  They say it moves you back 1.5"..  Have to use their backrest.  Just a thought.

Seats are like mufflers and handlebars-not everyone likes the same.

Looked at Mustang, Russell, Mayer, Corbin . . .  I have H-D adj. backrest and Passenger Grab Rails, just as soon keep them. But that's not a consideration. The preference is 20" wide, air adjust. I like the option of being able to adjust seating on a long trip. I had a Nissan Sentra that had an adj. seat -- primo on long drives!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 02:12:16 PM »

I ride with the Corbin.  Was resistent for years.....nobody could convince me that a seat that's that hard to the touch could be very comfortable after a few hours in the saddle.  Finally, Van loaned me his when I rode ocean to ocean with a couple other members here.  We were 2/3 the way across country before I even thought about my butt.....and the thought was "oh wow.....I've not had the monkey butt issues".

I've did a couple of thousand mile days on it and several 800 mile days.....never an issue. :2vrolijk_21:  Oh, and it's heated.  Use the search feature on here and type in what ever seat name you want to learn everybody's thoughts.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

2010 FLHX

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 02:02:09 AM »

I have until at least the end of Feb. to think about this while the bike is in the garage for the winter. The features I like on the Zep are 20" width, and that I can CHANGE the seating while on the road. This is like being able to shift posture in a chair. Anyone I've talked to that does long rides thinks this seat is the best thing going. It's intended to be my "dedicated long-tour seating" -- I can swap out to the stock SG seat if I want to. The stock seat is fine for the shorter trips.

I'm talking myself out of a Tour Pak -- but that's another thread. 

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 20 queries.