Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Way to go North Carolina  (Read 1258 times)

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Way to go North Carolina
« on: December 02, 2011, 01:29:45 PM »

New law in N. Car. to assist motorcyclists. Maybe it'll make drivers think just a little bit more.

http://greensboro.injuryboard.com/motorcycle-accidents/new-law-in-punishes-endangering-motorcyclists.aspx?googleid=296494

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Way to go North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 06:40:05 PM »

This is a good start.
In Virginia if you do something while driving that endangers people or property you could be charged with Reckless Driving and that has higher fines and possible jail time as well as lots of points on a license. I guess this N.C. law could make convictions easier?  :nixweiss:

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 07:44:32 PM »

Amen to NC and Virginia! :2vrolijk_21:

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 07:48:47 PM »

Any law that will make careless drivers pause & think, is a good law!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 08:47:57 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

SG Racer

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2, Black Diamond/ Inferno Orange
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG, Cherry
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 09:27:15 PM »

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.
D&D Fat Cat W/Ghost pipe
Custom leather seat
12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars
SEPST
93Hp, 116Tq

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 12:30:02 PM »

Lock them up and throw away the key..
Bill

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 02:09:39 PM »

It's great to finally see some places actually taking motorcyclist's rights and safety seriously, but just like all those "no cell phones while driving" laws, the proof comes in the enforcement.  If this is going to be just one more of those "look what I did for you" deals to get votes, like the cell phone laws, then it will not be any sort of meaningful deterrent and it won't make any measureable difference.  Maybe if we were to actually enforce all the rules and laws already on the books, we wouldn't need to keep wasting taxpayer dollars to add even more laws.  Just a thought.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 07:19:51 AM »

It's great to finally see some places actually taking motorcyclist's rights and safety seriously, but just like all those "no cell phones while driving" laws, the proof comes in the enforcement.  If this is going to be just one more of those "look what I did for you" deals to get votes, like the cell phone laws, then it will not be any sort of meaningful deterrent and it won't make any measureable difference.  Maybe if we were to actually enforce all the rules and laws already on the books, we wouldn't need to keep wasting taxpayer dollars to add even more laws.  Just a thought.

Jerry
That's correct Jerry, but this law is a good move in the right direction and gives the law enforcement community another 'tool' to use if they will........spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 08:00:48 AM »

It's a nice start.
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

2010 FLHX

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 08:56:54 AM »

I had some clown pass me in a van, open the side door and toss out a large plastic drink cup -- filled w/ soda. Just so happens that I had the helmet cam rolling. We got evidence, a plate number.

Police cited the driver for "reckless endangerment" and (I love it.) littering -- which has a very hefty fine.

--------------------

The list of tips in this article refer to a lot of safety measures the rider on the bike should be taken as a pro-active defense toward his/her own security. Particularly the ones about "blind spots" and being visible. You don't ride in blind spots, and pay attention to drivers who might be driving in your blind spots. 

The defense taught by Team Oregon for someone following too closely is to increase the distance between you and the vehicle ahead of you. Also, always keep your "escape path" open. Don't let cars box you in or cut off your safety cushion.

Finally, try to appreciate that when you get into a "territorial pissing contest" with a cager, you're negotiating your space from a compromised position.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 09:06:15 AM by 2010 FLHX »

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 07:24:59 PM »

Jerry

I agree Jerry.  I think all states ALREADY have a law on the books called ---  CARELESS and RECKLESS driving. I doubt passing another law with a higher fine will amount to anything other than more revenue. Do we think that driver that is going to run a biker off the road will think twice, just because of a higher fine? Also how many times is an officer going to be watching while that idiot is running me off the road?

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 09:02:11 PM »

Negative waves, negative waves. Will it make a difference? Maybe. At least it's another tool for proper law enforcement. Of course no law ever enacted will take the place of watching out for your own arse. I do applaud any legislature that at least considers our vulnerability and tries to do something about it.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 09:09:30 PM »

Negative waves, negative waves. Will it make a difference? Maybe. At least it's another tool for proper law enforcement. Of course no law ever enacted will take the place of watching out for your own arse. I do applaud any legislature that at least considers our vulnerability and tries to do something about it.
Totally agree Screamin.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 20 queries.