Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Will a U.S. Harley dealer fix a bike registered in Canada ?  (Read 4175 times)

Fxr4Rider

• More to come
  • Full CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, it's the journey.
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 Yellow
    • CVO2: 2012 Flhxse3- Build Date 01/12
    • CVO3: 1985 FLT (SOLD)
Will a U.S. Harley dealer fix a bike registered in Canada ?
« on: December 15, 2011, 06:19:59 PM »

Hi Folks
Hope i posted this in the right forum

Question about warranty on new bike.

Just curious if i will have any grief with a US dealer honoring warranty on a brand new bike imported into Canada. I have read all the threads on what is required to get it it fixed in Canada should the need arise. It appears I'd have more success pissing in the wind and not getting wet!
I have become educated and aware what Deely wants to have it comply! I say NAY NAY. That third brake light is not going on my ride!
I am also disgusted with my local dealer and absolutely refuse to give them another nickel.
They just ruined a new bike deal and thousands in upgrades with their arrogance.  Basically that is why i am having a bike imported. That's a story for another day i would be happy to share!

So, will i have any trouble getting my new ride repaired if it needs fixing under warranty in the US with it registered to me in Canada?
Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks
Fullsac w/ 2" cores
Zumo 665
LED Spots with Led Trim Rings
HID Headlight
Red LED under glow street kit
Kury Curved Lic plate
Ultimate seat with backrest
FUN AS HELL TO RIDE!!
King Matched Tour Pak
Ultimate Seat
LRS Windscreen
More Chrome
Andrews 54's
.30 head gaskets
Chubby's and Heated Grips!

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Will a U.S. Harley dealer fix a bike registered in Canada ?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 06:45:43 PM »

You should not have any problems getting things fixed from country to country
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 06:54:28 PM »

You won't have a problem getting it fixed in the US, but you may on this side of the line. Your local can't refuse to fix it but they can take their own sweet time about it and from your description, I'm thinking they will.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 06:59:54 PM by Bungy »
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 07:04:05 PM »

Firstly...  have you done any research on importing a "brand new " bike into Canada?  I don't believe that is even do-able.  but if you can I would get something in writing from the MOCO about who can do warrenty work on it.

Just sayin
Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 07:20:28 PM »

::)
Where it is registered........one state versus another or even another country,  If it's a new harley and still under warranty,  an authorized HD dealer is gonna handle warranty work on the bike.  They may not want to hassle with minor stuff like squeaks/rattles/slight scratch in the paint, etc.  if you didn't purchase it at their shop,  but valid problems normally covered under warranty shouldn't be negated by where the bike is registered. :drink:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 07:23:33 PM »

A better question might be, will either a Canadian or an American dealer be able to fix it, even if they don't blow you off. ;D

If the bike is purchased in the US, there is no reason in the world why a US dealer would refuse to work on the bike under warranty.  The warranty is provided through the distribution arm of the company where it was originally sold to the dealer, ie. through Deeley in Canada or through Harley-Davidson USA in the USA.  You might run into issues getting a Canadian dealer and Deeley to handle the warranty on a grey market bike, but there should be none if you bring it back across the border to the USA.

As noted by Martys, you might want to do a little more research on that self importation thing before you get too carried away.  Last I heard you will need to get the bike refitted to meet Canadian regulations by an authorized establishment before you can get it registered, and for Harley that is controlled by the distributor.  Maybe you have some connections in the government that will allow you to get the bike registered and licensed without meeting Canadian specs, but if you don't the time to figure this out is before you pay some USA dealer for a bike you can't register in Canada.  It's probably best to get this all sorted out before you write the check.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 11:00:58 PM »

You don't need connections within the government.

I have imported a bunch of cars, trucks, 6 HDa and four BMWs into Canada since 2003. Last bike imported was my 2010 CVO Ultra.

If you are buying a bike from a dealer simply make the receipt of a "Recall letter" from the dealer a condition of the sale. Once you have that Recall Letter in your possession you simply send a copy of it to RIV along with your Form 1 which you will receive at the Canadian side of the border when you import you bike into Canada, a very simple process. US bikes have the numeral "1" in their VIN Canadian Bikes have "5"

Where are you located? Their are many US HD Dealers who will make all of the arrangements for paperwork to get the bike properly imported into Canada. I am in Calgary, the HD Dealer in Great Falls and Missoula, Montane have exported many bikes into Alberta etc.

In the case of your Harley others are correct Deeley Imports and the Canadian HD Dealers hate it when Canadians import a bike from the US into Canada. Recently Deeley along with the support of MOCO has sent a letter to the Canadian Dealers the letter is posted on some of the bulletin boards of the dealerships. Basically it says any US Bike imported into Canada must be Canadianized, speedo change to KPH and maybe something about the rear lights. And the retrofit has to be done by a Canadian Dealer and also they want I think $500.00 to register in their system that then you may get the Warranty work done. This applies  only to the HD Factory warranty period if you the ESP and it is in effect they will have to fix any problem, the plan is administered by a third Party. I have never had any problems with HD Warranty

I have never had any problems with HD Warranty as  have never needed it, when I did need to use it my bike was in Phoenix and no problems. Also, if I had a serious enough problem with the my new bike and the local dealer pissed and moaned about it being a US bike and having to work on it, I would simply ride it down to Great Falls or to Phoenix and get the work done there or worst case scenario trailer it down.

I'm fortunate as I ride my Bike down to Phoenix in October and ride back in May - June.

geezerglide

Fxr4Rider

• More to come
  • Full CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 11:11:12 PM »

I appreciate all the replies. I look forward to my new ride!
Fullsac w/ 2" cores
Zumo 665
HID Headlight
Kury Curved Lic plate
FUN AS HELL TO RIDE!!
King Matched Tour Pak
Ultimate Seat
LRS Windscreen
More Chrome
Andrews 54's
.30 head gaskets

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 10:25:15 PM »

My bike was originally a US bike, but is registered here in Canada. My local dealer said since it hasn't been brought up to Cdn compliance standards (third brake light), they won't honor the warranty, and I'd have to take it to a US dealer.

Doesn't matter to me now as the warranty has expired, but that's what the deal is.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 10:33:28 PM »

To get a US bike registered in Canada with Deeley it's $1000, bunch a bandits!!!  :soapbox:

Fxr4Rider

• More to come
  • Full CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 11:47:13 PM »

I am fortunate to have three US dealers all within a couple of hours if something major goes. so I should be OK if a warranty issue does arise. I will be making my Current and all future Harley purchases from anywhere but my local dealer. .

It is too bad my local dealer was so greedy! I was prepared to buy a brand new ride beginning of December. We negotiated and after a few days back and forth customizing it the way i wanted, I was ready. It turns out, because I did not commit on paper before the new pricing came out on the 5th of December I was told I was SOL! I was also told because it was Not even 2012 they were in no great rush to sell it to me because they know they can get the new price, when they could make more money! WTF.
I was astonished. And truly disgusted at the GREED! I did commit verbally, what the hell were we doing the previous few days!
Have they no clue the true loss? I know they track sales, they should have seen I was a customer for years, and have spent a ton of cash with them.
O well their loss.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 12:54:06 AM by Fxr4Rider »
Fullsac w/ 2" cores
Zumo 665
HID Headlight
Kury Curved Lic plate
FUN AS HELL TO RIDE!!
King Matched Tour Pak
Ultimate Seat
LRS Windscreen
More Chrome
Andrews 54's
.30 head gaskets

gordy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 12:21:24 AM »

Bellingham HD in Washington flatly refuses to sell a brand new unregistered bike to a Canadian.  When I was in Nevada earlier this year I was told the same thing there, although the dealer suggested I get a US citizen to purchase the bike and then buy it from that guy.   

SEgle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3. Deweys Pro Street Heads, Fueling 574 Reaper cam, Smith Bros Adj Push Rods, Woods directional Night Prowler Lifters, Cometic 0.03" Head gasket, D & D Low Cat, SEST, SE Clutch Spring & AIM VPC92T Clutch kit.
    • CVO2: '76 FXE LIberty
    • CVO3: '68 GTO
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 06:30:10 AM »

FWIW, Harley Australia will not honor warranty on grey imports, i have a letter floating around here to confirm this. I reckon that you will find the same thing in Canada. Though i was told that if the bike was here temporarily for touring / holiday purposes they would honor the warranty in this case.

On the matter of buying a new bike, you must be a US citizen to purchase a new HD in the USA! Harley policy.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 08:48:48 AM »

I was about to mention that with all the other anticompetitive changes the current Harley management has been making, I'm sure they also have some new and improved rules for the dealers to curtail exporting complete bikes, just like they have been trying to curtail exporting parts.  There is already at least one lawsuit going forward on the parts deal, if Harley wins that one be prepared for even more restrictions.

btw, there is more to the conversion process than just adding one more taillight.  The turn signal "envelopes" have to be changed on the bikes with the LED's in the bag filler strips, since they are the wrong color, and there are some other things like KPH speedo's and such.  Someone posted a complete list around here in another thread not too long ago, but it definitely isn't just adding a taillight.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 08:52:31 AM »

FWIW, Harley Australia will not honor warranty on grey imports, i have a letter floating around here to confirm this. I reckon that you will find the same thing in Canada. Though i was told that if the bike was here temporarily for touring / holiday purposes they would honor the warranty in this case.

On the matter of buying a new bike, you must be a US citizen to purchase a new HD in the USA! Harley policy.

When did they start this?  To my knowledge, there aren't any dealerships around here verifying citzenship prior to purchasing a bike. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 20 queries.