Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Audio system recommendation... yes another thread  (Read 2421 times)

iwamas

Audio system recommendation... yes another thread
« on: December 27, 2011, 04:00:54 PM »

Hey folks,

I've been researching this for a while, read through many threads and I am still lost.

I have a 2012 Ultra CVO...  I'd like to upgrade the sound system...  call it vanity but I want something that is simply out of this world.

I do now however want to replace the head unit.

Most sites and forums talk about J&M, Hogtunes, and HawgWired...  but I want the best available speaker upgrades that will work with my bike.  I also want to add lower fairing speakers but it looks like I would need a different wiring harness to do so (is that correct?)

so all in all I would want to change the 4 stock speakers, and add lower fairing speakers...  which speakers do you all recommend?  what do I need to add the lower fairing speakers?  do I replace the existing amp?  replace it?  or add an additional one?

For sake of argument... let's say money isn't an issue...  highest possible quality and volume is what my aim is.

thanks for anyone who takes this seriously and tries to assist.

Ash

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Audio system recommendation... yes another thread
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »

Hey folks,

I've been researching this for a while, read through many threads and I am still lost.

I have a 2012 Ultra CVO...  I'd like to upgrade the sound system...  call it vanity but I want something that is simply out of this world.

I do now however want to replace the head unit.

Most sites and forums talk about J&M, Hogtunes, and HawgWired...  but I want the best available speaker upgrades that will work with my bike.  I also want to add lower fairing speakers but it looks like I would need a different wiring harness to do so (is that correct?)

so all in all I would want to change the 4 stock speakers, and add lower fairing speakers...  which speakers do you all recommend?  what do I need to add the lower fairing speakers?  do I replace the existing amp?  replace it?  or add an additional one?

For sake of argument... let's say money isn't an issue...  highest possible quality and volume is what my aim is.

thanks for anyone who takes this seriously and tries to assist.

Ash

You're starting out with contradictory, and probably mutually exclusive, compromises.  Staying with the stock head unit in a cash-is-no-object hypohetical when the head unit is a limiting factor that likely wouldn't work well (anyway) when ripping out stock amps and other bits for aftermarket replacement is (gawd I hope this isn't becoming a theme) kind of like dating your sister.  It may be fun but it's probably not the ideal solution.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 05:39:42 PM »

Send TIF2 (Rich) a PM w/ your phone number.  He probably knows more about having fairing speakers, separate tweeters, speakers in the fairing lowers, tour pak speakers, and amps than anyone else on this site.

Understand that whatever you do that includes adding speakers in the fairing lowers automatically means that you will be using non-plug and play wiring; not a big deal, since the wiring is simple, but most folks are reluctant to embark on this route.

Carl

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 06:36:56 PM »

You're starting out with contradictory, and probably mutually exclusive, compromises.  Staying with the stock head unit in a cash-is-no-object hypohetical when the head unit is a limiting factor that likely wouldn't work well (anyway) when ripping out stock amps and other bits for aftermarket replacement is (gawd I hope this isn't becoming a theme) kind of like dating your sister.  It may be fun but it's probably not the ideal solution.

Hey Don -

Interestingly enough, I have not hit the limits of the stock head unit yet. I still need to do the "sound equalization" (whatever that means) for the rear saddlebag lid speakers but overall - I am finding that aftermarket head units seem to offer a perception of better sound with lower quality speakers/amps. This is probably due to aftermarket head-units offering different/more robust/more accurate filter and tone controls.

My system is coming together nicely and I'd pit it again' any system using an aftermarket head unit. I wish the stock H/K had center frequency adjustment for the bass and treble contol, and I wish they were a +/- 12dB (instead of my percieved +/- 6dB) - but I haven't seen where the stock H/K is a serious limiting factor in the amount of killer sound quality you can get from the bikes.

I have zero experience regarding non-H/K Advanced radios.

Don't count that old boy (H/K head unit) out just yet. Afterall, he WALKED down the hill!

:)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 06:38:28 PM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 06:45:56 PM »

Hey Don -

Interestingly enough, I have not hit the limits of the stock head unit yet. I still need to do the "sound equalization" (whatever that means) for the rear saddlebag lid speakers but overall - I am finding that aftermarket head units seem to offer a perception of better sound with lower quality speakers/amps. This is probably due to aftermarket head-units offering different/more robust/more accurate filter and tone controls.

My system is coming together nicely and I'd pit it again' any system using an aftermarket head unit. I wish the stock H/K had center frequency adjustment for the bass and treble contol, and I wish they were a +/- 12dB (instead of my percieved +/- 6dB) - but I haven't seen where the stock H/K is a serious limiting factor in the amount of killer sound quality you can get from the bikes.

I have zero experience regarding non-H/K Advanced radios.

Don't count that old boy (H/K head unit) out just yet. Afterall, he WALKED down the hill!

:)

That is good to read.   Other audio stretching episodes I'd watched all seemed to hit a wall when bringing together multilple high end amps and other accessories.  Glad to read you are still so well pleased. 

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 06:57:52 PM »

That is good to read.   Other audio stretching episodes I'd watched all seemed to hit a wall when bringing together multilple high end amps and other accessories.  Glad to read you are still so well pleased. 

I only hope you get to hear it one day.
I'll make sure it's after we've tilted a few so that you'll "understand" (lol).

Seriously though ... you'd be amazed at how good it can sound.
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 07:36:51 PM »

I only hope you get to hear it one day.
I'll make sure it's after we've tilted a few so that you'll "understand" (lol).

Seriously though ... you'd be amazed at how good it can sound.

That I would enjoy  :2vrolijk_21:  . 

Er, uh...  both of 'em.  The buds and the beat :bananarock:  :drink:  .

iwamas

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 08:55:16 AM »

Sent you a PM... any help would be greatly appreciate,

Thanks,

ash

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 10:09:52 AM »

I just replaced the Hawg Wired speakers with a set of Polk Audio MM521's......Holy crap!!!  What a difference.  Not only do these things weigh less than half of the HW's, they sound 10 times better, were easy to install......Oh Myyyyyyyyy!!
   The monotubes go in today and then for a ride...stay tuned.

_Beags
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 10:37:09 AM »

I just replaced the Hawg Wired speakers with a set of Polk Audio MM521's......Holy crap!!!  What a difference.  Not only do these things weigh less than half of the HW's, they sound 10 times better, were easy to install......Oh Myyyyyyyyy!!
   The monotubes go in today and then for a ride...stay tuned.

_Beags

What did you use Matt.  My HW speakers have a left side that's started to crap out.  Long time in service so not complaining.  Just will have to change it out sometime.

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 11:39:39 AM »

Don,
   Do yourself a favor and get a set of the Polk Audio MM521's...........they sound great!!  I have the 75W Hawg Wired amp (front only).  I had the same problem, one side bass blew out, thing is, the HW are rated at 75W, peak 150W....the Polk's are rated at 200W peak and 90W continuous.  The use rare earth magnets that are so freakin light weight but put out great sound, response is excellent and at 96db sensitivity  they sound really good.  I bought mine online for about $90.....best Benjamin I ever spent!

_Beags :cherry:
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 12:02:47 PM »

Don,
   Do yourself a favor and get a set of the Polk Audio MM521's...........they sound great!!  I have the 75W Hawg Wired amp (front only).  I had the same problem, one side bass blew out, thing is, the HW are rated at 75W, peak 150W....the Polk's are rated at 200W peak and 90W continuous.  The use rare earth magnets that are so freakin light weight but put out great sound, response is excellent and at 96db sensitivity  they sound really good.  I bought mine online for about $90.....best Benjamin I ever spent!

_Beags :cherry:

Will definitely take a look Matt.  Thanks.   

Have always been satisfied with the sound (to my worn out ears) from the HW component speakers.  But they are heavy.  This is actually the second speaker have had fail.  The right side died when the set was close to three years old.  Someone else here had experience a single failure so we cheaped out and bought a set together and each replaced our bad one.

Now a couple years later my other side has died.  Not a knock on the HW.  Bike (even though low hours of use) is a hazardous duty environment for speakers.  We all know that going on.  Still, I'll spend a lot less and replace slightly more often if need be if the sound is still good enough for ears.  That's a no brainer.

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 12:20:04 PM »

I hear you, I was happy with the HW also, maybe it's the difference between a fresh set up and the old tired ones.  The HW speakers did their job well...........but these Polk's have me impressed and  the price is right.

_Matt

iwamas

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 04:32:36 AM »

Ok,

Think I'm close to knowing what I want/need.  Going to go with 2x Rockford Fosgate 300x4 amps.  Add lower fairing speakers, and change the stock fairing and rear tourpak speakers.  Thinking of going With hybrid Audio Technology... Only problem is don't know which speakers would be best suited where.  The Bike already has the Bass ports installed.  a few questions:

1. Do I need to get rid of the Stock AMP that comes with the CVO
2. would adding the Hell's Foundry Woofpak enhance the system
3. Anything else I should consider?

Thanks for any help you can shed.

Ash

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 12:58:33 PM »

Hey Beag's (no Mr. Beagle this time  ::) ) can you post a picture of the Polks installed? I really like the look of the stock speakers, the Polks look to have a space age look to them.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 20 queries.