Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do with the factory Amp?  (Read 1798 times)

SMSgt B

• Full CVO Member
    • FL
What to do with the factory Amp?
« on: December 28, 2011, 08:12:52 PM »

I have an idea on what I would like to do, but need some audio advice as this is not my area of expertise. My daily rider is a 2010 FLTCUSE5 and my idea is to keep the stock head unit, upgrade the current 4 speakers, and add 4 more (lower fairings and 6x9 or 5x7 saddlebag lids) for a total of 8.  Since I already have that amp under the tourpak, I thought about utilizing it for the rear passenger speakers only. This way I can remove it all together as a unit when I make the tourpak detachable.  Next using a 500W 4 channel amp (Arc or J&M) for the front and front lower speakers and a 250W 2-channel amp just for the saddlebag lids. 

Can I use my factory amp only for the rear speakers and if yes, is this difficult?

Would it be best to take out the factory amp (sell it) and use 2 500W 4 channel amps?  Would I lose anything like controls, fader, etc if I went this route?

Do I have to add preamp outputs from Iron Cross Audio to accomplish my idea?

Am I looking at a rewire from hell kind of job (cut this, add that, splice here, etc)?

I'm still learning from reading posts about either using J&M Rokker stuff (amps, speakers, lids, lowers), using Arc amps with different speakers, or a mixture of J&M and other stuff. If I use all J&M, I end up with 6 of 8 speakers being all 7.25"s.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.   

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: What to do with the factory Amp?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 08:33:06 PM »

i found out today that on my 11 rg i can not remove amp i will loss fade option on radio  i not sure about your bike
2009 ultra black
1962 impala 409/ 4 speed /posi rear/ 2 4 barrels

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 02:25:53 AM »

changing out the amp - is basically going to require a complete rewire, you need the actual wiring diagram for the bike, you need to make a PLAN and get all the parts and a wiring diagram and go for it.

the only item that the stock head unit does that a aftermarket unit does not do is run the headphones - you can use a stock head for intercom and headset music. if you dont ever use the headsets, dont use cb, dont use intercom. then you might be better off to scrap the whole thing and start over. there are many articles on this site for how to and what to buy and what to do. you can retain the handlebar controls and run as much sound and speakers as you want - but the wiring will be intense.

what i do know from my own experience is that in 06 i wanted intercom - i never use the speakers at all [removed all but two] - and when i did a line by line and part by part analysis of the difference between a classic and a ultra at that time - the intercom on the ultra was worth about 1500 of the price difference between the two bikes & at that time it cost much more than that to upgrade a classic to have intercom than 1500 bux. [several wiring harneses, speaker pods to get the controls, dash, switch housings, etc]

to

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 06:39:55 AM »

i found out today that on my 11 rg i can not remove amp i will loss fade option on radio  i not sure about your bike

You will not loss fader control if you remove the amp. The CAN BUS system will see the amp is gone and default the fader back to the radio.

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 06:45:35 AM »

I have an idea on what I would like to do, but need some audio advice as this is not my area of expertise. My daily rider is a 2010 FLTCUSE5 and my idea is to keep the stock head unit, upgrade the current 4 speakers, and add 4 more (lower fairings and 6x9 or 5x7 saddlebag lids) for a total of 8.  Since I already have that amp under the tourpak, I thought about utilizing it for the rear passenger speakers only. This way I can remove it all together as a unit when I make the tourpak detachable.  Next using a 500W 4 channel amp (Arc or J&M) for the front and front lower speakers and a 250W 2-channel amp just for the saddlebag lids. 

Can I use my factory amp only for the rear speakers and if yes, is this difficult?

Would it be best to take out the factory amp (sell it) and use 2 500W 4 channel amps?  Would I lose anything like controls, fader, etc if I went this route?

Do I have to add preamp outputs from Iron Cross Audio to accomplish my idea?

Am I looking at a rewire from hell kind of job (cut this, add that, splice here, etc)?

I'm still learning from reading posts about either using J&M Rokker stuff (amps, speakers, lids, lowers), using Arc amps with different speakers, or a mixture of J&M and other stuff. If I use all J&M, I end up with 6 of 8 speakers being all 7.25"s.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.   

You're going to want to remove the amp.
With the stock amp in place, the radio will not be able to fade any aftermarket amp and the radios rear speaker output will not activate.

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 05:35:09 PM »

You will not loss fader control if you remove the amp. The CAN BUS system will see the amp is gone and default the fader back to the radio.
[/quotaimiam sorry but i talked  to someone at your shop and that is what they said  on 11 cvo rg
if i miss under stood sorry
2009 ultra black
1962 impala 409/ 4 speed /posi rear/ 2 4 barrels

SMSgt B

• Full CVO Member
    • FL
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 07:01:57 PM »

All,

Thanks for the input and from what I gathering, get rid of the factory amp but keep the head unit.  This is good news since I would like to keep the CB, intercom, XM radio, Zumo Navi, and handlebar controls all factory and operating for future resale someday and keep the upgrade price down.

Fattbaggernknox

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 07:24:28 AM »

I had my system reflashed for a electra glide ( IIRC) & i have fade on my system.
2011 fltruse FBI wheels& hidden axle 574 Fuelling cams & lifters.J&M rocker series speakers & amp, Rb Racing black hole spyder 2-1, Aim-vpc92,SE 58MM TB, HPI 5.3 inj. Tuned by Strokerjlk 112.76/118.99 sae 115.42/121.85 std

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 24 queries.