Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warped Rotor?  (Read 3577 times)

gabhart

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
Warped Rotor?
« on: December 30, 2011, 09:06:42 PM »

2011 SEUC. About 3000 miles. Under braking it feels like a warped rotor. I have confirmed it's one of the front two since I don't feel it when I use only the rear brake. This is the last thing I expected so soon since my '05 Fatboy and '07 Ultra never had a brake issue.

I do not "ride" the brakes nor am I hard on them. I actually feel I use the rear more than the front especially during slow speed maneuvers.

Short of taking it to the dealer any suggestions/comments are welcome. Speaking of the dealer would you folks say this should be covered under warranty?
Fullsac X-Pipe "B", TTS Mastertune, Rinehart Slip-ons, full LED conversion

BAGGER 1

• Senior CVO Member
  • Leeco
Re: Warped Rotor?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 09:15:49 PM »

My brother has a 2010 ultra limited he had front rotors replaced under warranty due to rotor chatter , our service tech said that thier was a few
 of these models that had this issue. Dont know if he was just tryin to make us feel better or if it is a common problem.
he only had 7010 miles on it and the dealer up graded them to polished. so he is happy .

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 06:42:45 PM »

Try grabbing the brake caliper housing and see if you can move it around just a little to make sure it is still free floating and not binding on the guide pins.  My rotors are free floating  design also but I don't think you can feel them moving.  Just a thought.
Jesus is Lord

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 08:17:44 PM »

2011 SEUC. About 3000 miles. Under braking it feels like a warped rotor. I have confirmed it's one of the front two since I don't feel it when I use only the rear brake. This is the last thing I expected so soon since my '05 Fatboy and '07 Ultra never had a brake issue.

I do not "ride" the brakes nor am I hard on them. I actually feel I use the rear more than the front especially during slow speed maneuvers.

Short of taking it to the dealer any suggestions/comments are welcome. Speaking of the dealer would you folks say this should be covered under warranty?

Yes, it should be covered under the factory warranty as a defective part.  Warped rotors aren't like worn out brake pads, they are covered under warranty.

Unfortunately, if you want it fixed you will have to make a pilgrimage to your friendly dealership.  Depending on who you speak to, they may jump right on the problem and replace the defective rotor(s), or they may try to BS you into believing that your's are still within the factory tolerances.  Brake shudder due to warped rotors is not an acceptable situation, no matter what the rotors measure versus Harley's BS tolerance.  Good luck.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Big C.

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: Stardust Silver & Platinum Dust FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 12:10:48 PM »

My 09 serg is on it's 3rd set including the originals.  All was covered under warranty.
                                                     Cory

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 12:26:51 PM »

Take it to the dealer - you need to go "on the record" before it gets worse.

I did on mine - the sequence was:
5,000 mile mark - first report to the dealer that I am noticing an issue
8,200 mile mark - even more noticable - second report - HD Milwaukee denied warranty per the dealer
10,000 mile mark - now real bad - third report - I called and "DISCUSSED" the issue with HD Milwaukee - they then called it a warranty issue and replaced front rotors free (they included the pads, which was a major surprise).

Good luck!

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Ultra
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 12:58:21 PM »

I think hard braking is what did it to mine the first time and I need them again for the same reason. My first set was covered under the initial two year warranty but I may have to pay the $50 deductable for this set.

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 08:19:37 AM »

My 09 FLHTUCSE4 is on it's third set. First set went bad about 17,000. The replacement set was worst than what was taken off. Took those off and put the standard solid rotors on till they could get another set in. The standard rotors; no problem for 1,500 miles. the third set arrived 13,000 miles with no problem. Nobody at the dealer would admit it but I know they have had issues with the two piece riveted rotors warping. :nixweiss:

gabhart

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 09:55:04 PM »

Yes GRC, the dealer told me the rotors are within tolerance. They cleaned them and they felt better for about 20 miles. I am now at the point where I can feel the pulsating in the hand lever. Going back to the dealer this Monday to have them checked again.

gabhart

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 09:23:43 PM »

Update:

Went back to the dealer and they found a run-out of .02(?) on the left front rotor and .06(?) on the right. I was told Harley within spec measurement is up to a .08. I told the dealer that the condition of the brakes is unacceptable and requested escalation information within HD. After going back to speak to the Sr Tech the Service Manager informed me the run-out was actually .09 on the right side (wink) and it would be replaced under warranty.

Although I am not happy with the rotor warping at only 8000 miles I am happy that the dealer was willing to work with me on getting it replaced.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 10:43:16 AM »

Yeah I think the moco has something going on with the rotors on newer bikes.  My '07 has never had any issue in 82k but my '12 needed front rotors replaced at 6k.  Luckily no hassle from dealer who confirmed pulsing and ordered parts.  Had to wait almost six weeks for parts but got 'em in and replaced last week.   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 09:05:33 PM »

Yeah I think the moco has something going on with the rotors on newer bikes.  My '07 has never had any issue in 82k but my '12 needed front rotors replaced at 6k.  Luckily no hassle from dealer who confirmed pulsing and ordered parts.  Had to wait almost six weeks for parts but got 'em in and replaced last week.   :2vrolijk_21:
[/quote   Got enough miles on the replacement rotors to have  a sense of whether or not they're gonna be 'good'?  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 09:16:51 PM »

Yeah I think the moco has something going on with the rotors on newer bikes.  My '07 has never had any issue in 82k but my '12 needed front rotors replaced at 6k.  Luckily no hassle from dealer who confirmed pulsing and ordered parts.  Had to wait almost six weeks for parts but got 'em in and replaced last week.   :2vrolijk_21:

That's nuts.  But, wait ....... so is the fact that they only lasted 6,000 miles. :-\

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »

Not sure if it's just the newer bikes... mine were warped and replaced recently (after waiting almost a year due to being on back order). I was talking to my indy about them and he said he'd noticed quite a few that way. I would think (and told him) that them being floating rotors you wouldn't think they would have this problem and he replied the floating ones are warping more often. :zstupid:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 09:21:17 PM »

That's nuts.  But, wait ....... so is the fact that they only lasted 6,000 miles. :-\

Think 6 weeks is long see my post above. :shocked2: By the time I got them replaced I told the technician I had gotten used to having ABS on the fronts from feeling them pulsing so long. :D :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 20 queries.