Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hydraulic clutch  (Read 7437 times)

mlbraptor

• Full CVO Member
Hydraulic clutch
« on: January 10, 2012, 04:27:51 PM »

What are the advantages of the hydraulic clutch on the CVO bikes versus standard clutches on the other Harleys ?
Thanks...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Hydraulic clutch
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 04:44:44 PM »

What are the advantages of the hydraulic clutch on the CVO bikes versus standard clutches on the other Harleys ?
Thanks...

IMHO, the main advantage of hydraulic actuation is the elimination of almost all maintenance requirements.  No cable to stretch or possibly break, no adjustments, etc.  On the opposite side of the coin, the hydraulic clutch doesn't allow for fine tuning the point of engagement like the cable systems, for those who find that desireable.

I've owned bikes, of various brands, with hydraulic clutches and with cables, and I prefer hydraulic by a wide margin. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Boxman88

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • States
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 11:13:17 PM »

Hydraulic is also easier on the hand in traffic. Not as stiff. First one I've had and already after only 1000 miles, I like it.
Charcoal Slate / Carbon Dust
HD Super Tuner / Custom Map
VH Power Duals / H.O. Slip On's
121 Torque 111 Hp
Progressive Monotubes Front
Progressive 944 Rear

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 12:05:27 PM »

I find mine harder to pull and harder to hold in stopped traffic.  The positive is that I like the more sensitive grab point that my old cable clutch lacked.  I have been given some great advise on this web site about the installation Of a Variable Pressure Clutch Kit by AIM, so that will be my spring project.  :2vrolijk_21:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

bloper123

• Full CVO Member
  • Wheel weight came loose. I have a dented fender.

• CVO1: 2011 1/2 Screaming Eagle serial#9987
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 07:37:12 AM »

I like the old standard better, when you let out on the clutch it craps at the very end of release and you don't have the feathering like a manual type and it is  harder to clutch and hold in like at a red light.
bobby

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 07:59:43 AM »

IMHO, the main advantage of hydraulic actuation is the elimination of almost all maintenance requirements.  No cable to stretch or possibly break, no adjustments, etc.  On the opposite side of the coin, the hydraulic clutch doesn't allow for fine tuning the point of engagement like the cable systems, for those who find that desireable.

I've owned bikes, of various brands, with hydraulic clutches and with cables, and I prefer hydraulic by a wide margin. 

Jerry

The only maintenance with the hydraulic clutch is flushing and replacement of the fluid every few years - which is vast improvement over a cable clutch.  I too, greatly prefer the hydraulic clutch...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 08:54:33 AM »

I like the old standard better, when you let out on the clutch it craps at the very end of release and you don't have the feathering like a manual type and it is  harder to clutch and hold in like at a red light.

You might want to get your's checked out for problems.  Mine is easy to "feather", it engages about an inch off the grip, and it's smoother and easier to operate than a cable version.  If you're comparing your CVO to a previous bike, you might think the effort is higher.  But you need to realize the CVO has a much stiffer clutch spring than a standard TC88 or TC96.  If you were to put a cable on the clutch in your CVO and not change to a lighter spring, I'll bet you the effort would be just as high or maybe higher.

BTW, mine was flaky when I first bought it, thanks to all the air Harley left in the system and the grabby clutch plates.  After I properly bled the system and put some miles on the plates, the clutch operation improved dramatically.  Then when I changed to ATF in the primary, clutch operation got even better.  A wet clutch can be greatly influenced by both volume and type of lubricant.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Alremc

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 07:24:57 PM »

You might want to get your's checked out for problems.  Mine is easy to "feather", it engages about an inch off the grip, and it's smoother and easier to operate than a cable version.  If you're comparing your CVO to a previous bike, you might think the effort is higher.  But you need to realize the CVO has a much stiffer clutch spring than a standard TC88 or TC96.  If you were to put a cable on the clutch in your CVO and not change to a lighter spring, I'll bet you the effort would be just as high or maybe higher.

BTW, mine was flaky when I first bought it, thanks to all the air Harley left in the system and the grabby clutch plates.  After I properly bled the system and put some miles on the plates, the clutch operation improved dramatically.  Then when I changed to ATF in the primary, clutch operation got even better.  A wet clutch can be greatly influenced by both volume and type of lubricant.

Jerry

GRC...I just got my CVO Ultra last weekend, i finally got some time to ride it for a few miles but noticed that the clutch was acting grabby and when coming off the freeway on the offramp, it was start cluncking if i didn't downshift early on decceloration? Take off's are not as smooth as my 00 Ultra but the engaement is smooth once moving. Also at a stop, if i engae neutral and release the clutch, i get a tapping noise from what i think is the tranny. are these similiar to what you were experiencing initially? Thanks   Cheers, Frank
Frank
2012 CVO Ultra Classic
Fullsac X-Pipe
Rhineharts 4 in Cans in black
TTS MasterTune

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »

GRC...I just got my CVO Ultra last weekend, i finally got some time to ride it for a few miles but noticed that the clutch was acting grabby and when coming off the freeway on the offramp, it was start cluncking if i didn't downshift early on decceloration? Take off's are not as smooth as my 00 Ultra but the engaement is smooth once moving. Also at a stop, if i engae neutral and release the clutch, i get a tapping noise from what i think is the tranny. are these similiar to what you were experiencing initially? Thanks   Cheers, Frank

That's not your clutch clunking...it's your compensator.  Usually caused by lugging your motor at low rpm's - which is tough on your drivetrain and crankshaft.  You might want to try to downshift sooner and keep your rpm's higher - and see if the clunking stops...   :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Alremc

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 01:43:56 PM »

That's not your clutch clunking...it's your compensator.  Usually caused by lugging your motor at low rpm's - which is tough on your drivetrain and crankshaft.  You might want to try to downshift sooner and keep your rpm's higher - and see if the clunking stops...   :2vrolijk_21:

Will do, a habit I have to get into with this new ride...thanks sadunar!!

Cheers  :beerchug:
Frank
2012 CVO Ultra Classic
Fullsac X-Pipe
TTS MasterTune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 08:30:29 PM »

When comparing a new CVO Ultra to a 2000 Ultra, you will have many things to get used to.  Besides the compensator and primary issue mentioned by sadunbar, you also have a much higher first gear ratio in the new bike that makes leaving from a stop a little trickier.  You may find it necessary to slip the clutch a little more than you were used to on the older bike.  And the new bike is probably 150 pounds heavier as well, further amplifying the difference.  As for the "tapping" noise sitting at idle with the clutch engaged, that has been a commonly reported issue since the new style primary and the Cruise Drive trans were introduced.  I personally think it's got a lot to do with the trans design itself, others have indicated they thought it was a loose primary chain or the compensator.  If it bothers you or gets worse, ask your dealer to check it out.

Jerry

Alremc

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 12:02:58 AM »

When comparing a new CVO Ultra to a 2000 Ultra, you will have many things to get used to.  Besides the compensator and primary issue mentioned by sadunbar, you also have a much higher first gear ratio in the new bike that makes leaving from a stop a little trickier.  You may find it necessary to slip the clutch a little more than you were used to on the older bike.  And the new bike is probably 150 pounds heavier as well, further amplifying the difference.  As for the "tapping" noise sitting at idle with the clutch engaged, that has been a commonly reported issue since the new style primary and the Cruise Drive trans were introduced.  I personally think it's got a lot to do with the trans design itself, others have indicated they thought it was a loose primary chain or the compensator.  If it bothers you or gets worse, ask your dealer to check it out.

Jerry

Thanks for the insight Jerry, all you mentioned were areas I noticed right away and some I did not realize but wasn't sure if it was my riding syle, haha. Now  that i know that i have to make adjustments to my riding techniques, I will enjoy the ride a hell of alot more!! Thanks  :biggthumpup:
Frank
2012 CVO Ultra Classic
Fullsac X-Pipe
TTS MasterTune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 07:27:10 AM »

When comparing a new CVO Ultra to a 2000 Ultra, you will have many things to get used to.  Besides the compensator and primary issue mentioned by sadunbar, you also have a much higher first gear ratio in the new bike that makes leaving from a stop a little trickier.  You may find it necessary to slip the clutch a little more than you were used to on the older bike.  And the new bike is probably 150 pounds heavier as well, further amplifying the difference. 
Jerry

Wonder why, with all those gears (and added weight), they felt the need to raise the first gear ratio Jerry?  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

jester

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 06:36:45 PM »

07 Screaming eagle springer
today it seems that the clutch would engage at times and then not.  at times there was a clunking sound coming from the tranny when i shifted
a couple of times i had to kill the bike as the clutch wouldn't operate
anybody got some helpful hints?
thanks for any feedback

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 06:42:49 PM »

07 Screaming eagle springer
today it seems that the clutch would engage at times and then not.  at times there was a clunking sound coming from the tranny when i shifted
a couple of times i had to kill the bike as the clutch wouldn't operate
anybody got some helpful hints?
thanks for any feedback

From your description, it sounds like you have air in the hydraulic clutch line.  I would suggest trying to bleed the clutch.  If this solves the issue (temporarily), you then need to figure out how the air entered the system.  Assuming you have not overheated the clutch fluid, I would suspect the clutch master cylinder.
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 20 queries.