Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Michelin ComanderII rear tire  (Read 8344 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: Michelin ComanderII rear tire
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 12:57:14 PM »

Went to buy a set of these, Found out they do not make them for the odd ball size i need for the front of the 07 SERK  :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

16 and 17 combination yes.  17 and  18 combo no

RJW

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Sold
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE5d #506
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2012, 04:34:49 PM »

I just ordered mine, Motorcycle Super Store.  http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/                                     Front, $124.99 size (130x80x17), Back $170.99 size (180x65x16) Total $295.98
Always try and get new tires before i need to!! I have 22,000 mls on my bike, this well be my 3rd set.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2012, 04:50:51 PM »

It looks like you can get the pair from BikeBandit.com for $275, BUT for free shipping, it looks like you have to join their club for $29.95 and then I guess you get free shipping on everything from them.  Not a bad deal if you are planning on buying anything else through them, otherwise you're spending about $5 too much.

GreatGazoo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2012, 02:10:43 AM »

Just ordered front and back for my 09 Dyna SE.  The duncraps are plain awful.  I am at the wear bar on the D427's with 6300 miles  and they have lost all grip. They are flat out dangerous to ride on and if there is any moisture it is just sad to see such poor performance from them.  Everytime I go around a corner and even remotely touch the throttle I go sideways.  The fronts are starting to become blocky with wear and are not comfortable at all. I will let you know how the Commander II's work out!

wglindsay

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2012, 09:52:43 PM »

Purchased a set from motorcycle super store last month and had them mounted at the dealer this weekend.  First 100 miles have been great, but new tires always feel like a going out with a new girlfriend.  14k on stock tires, rear needed replaced but still had a little tread and front could have made it a couple more K.  The tire looks like a tire, handles fine, and is black, round and made of rubber.  I have ran Metzler's on my 03' Road King for the past 40k and have nothing but good experiences.  The new Michelin tire intrigued me..... so far no problems and they were cheaper!! ;D ;D
2003 Road King Classic, Gun Metal Pearl
2009 CVO Ultra Classic, Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon

GreatGazoo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2012, 06:43:41 PM »

Have 300 miles on mine now and so far so good...the ride is a bit harder than the Dunlops and are drastically better in wet weather as well.  No sun yet, so I will follow up on how they handle from peg to peg in the twisties

GreatGazoo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2012, 07:07:09 PM »

When I changed the tires, I found my front bearing was toast after 6300 miles.  Today I went for a ride and took it all the way up to where she had no more and alas the wobble is gone.  Cornering and handling are like night and day compared to what it was prior to changing the bearing.  The tires are very very nice and I would recommend them.  Not quite as sticky as the Avons or Metzlers I had, but it is a slight minor difference. 
Finally it handles and rides like it should YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2012, 10:57:59 PM »

Update on the Michelin Commander II tires.  After 7000 miles plus, they still look like brand new front and rear.  I just checked the rear and there is still over 6/32" left and I think the front was around 5/32".  I can't remember, but I don't think there was much more there when they were new. There is no uneven wear showing at all.  I am riding much more confidently on both twisties and in the rain.  Thus far, I have no reason to believe I'll ever be running any other tire on a bike again...unless, of course, if I pop for a new bike and then I'll wear out the stock tires before switching to these. I just rode from Pittsburgh to Sturgis and back running between 90 and 100 the entire way.  With temperatures over 100 degrees every day, I thought for sure these tires would take a beating on this trip, but they didn't.

One thing I did find out about these tires is that they seem to be very sensitive to air pressure variations.  I am running 36 front and 40 rear.  Once they drop down by 3 to 4 pounds, they ride absolutely terrible.  I used to be one of those people that neglected to check my tire pressure on a regular basis.  I've learned with these tires that if I go 2 to 3 weeks without checking them, I lose from 3 to 4 pounds and my bike feels like it needs wheel bearings again.  I'm now checking them weekly or before leaving for any long rides.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2012, 08:32:22 PM »

I have run Michelin's for years on my cars, PU's and my 18 wheeler's the leaking of air is just the nature of the beast, As far as i am concerned they are the best on the market, Just wished they made the size for the front of my SERK. :2vrolijk_21:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Alesius

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2012, 02:59:27 PM »

Just came back from a 5000km trip across Europe, had the Michelin Commander II tires for >7500km now on my FLHTCUSE (2500km with 2 people and luggage, fully loaded, rest single rider with luggage).
- rear tire looks like new, front tire has some wear but still in excellent condition
- compared to the original Dunlops, the Michelin feels a bit harder but at least as reliable in curves or on wet roads as the Dunlops (I had lots of opportunity to test them on "flooded" roads in Scotland  :o ).

So far I would choose the Michelin again. One thing to be careful about: the first ~200km they were VERY slippery, especially in curves or roundabouts I had to be very careful. While all new tires need some miles to get full grip, the Michelin felt extremly slippery in the beginning - not sure if there was something on my tires, or if this is a general thing with this brand.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2012, 11:32:11 PM »

The only real slippage I've experienced is in the hot sun, look out for those tar snakes.  These tires will slide on tar snakes with the best of them.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2012, 12:55:15 PM »

GreatGazoo, I heard a howling noise when one of the front bearings started to go out. Dealer replaced it under warranty. Should have had them do both bearings while they had it apart.If your bike is loud you probably didn't hear anything, but halfway thru my vacation I started to hear a slight howling coming up front end. Nice and quiet now.CAHDBIKER

When I changed the tires, I found my front bearing was toast after 6300 miles.  Today I went for a ride and took it all the way up to where she had no more and alas the wobble is gone.  Cornering and handling are like night and day compared to what it was prior to changing the bearing.  The tires are very very nice and I would recommend them.  Not quite as sticky as the Avons or Metzlers I had, but it is a slight minor difference. 
Finally it handles and rides like it should YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 24 queries.