Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: New Engine Chrome Covers - Some field work required  (Read 4878 times)

2 Disturbed

• CVO1: 2011 SESG, Black Diamond & Crimson
Re: New Engine Chrome Covers - Some field work required
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 09:22:18 PM »

With all the heat issues these 110's put out, I wouldn't think that covers are a good thing.  They are notorious for restricting cooling and retaining heat.

They also come loose, need additional waxing/cleaning, obstruct visual inspections of leaks, cracks, etc.

Most mechanics HATE them!

:soapbox:

2011 SESG with Fullsac X-pipe, TTS Tuner, 2.0 Fulsac baffles, and dyno at 96 HP and 110 torque by Steve at Fulsac.
1994 Road King, 1990 Heritage Softail, 1987 FXR, 1984 FXR.

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE - 2018 FLHTKSE-ANV (Traded)
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE (Traded) - 2007 FXSTSSE (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2003 100th FLHRCi (Sold) - 2001 FLSTF (Traded)
    • 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 07:38:59 AM »

With all the heat issues these 110's put out, I wouldn't think that covers are a good thing.  They are notorious for restricting cooling and retaining heat.

They also come loose, need additional waxing/cleaning, obstruct visual inspections of leaks, cracks, etc.

Most mechanics HATE them!

:soapbox:

All valid points I hadn't considered, however from an engineering pov I think if Kuryakyn was the only manufacturer of these covers and not Harley as well, I may give that more weight.

Another way one may see it is that these chrome pieces may act as a heat sink, drawing heat away from slower cooling cast pieces and actually allowing for better cooling.

And as for the Harley Technicians, I would think that as most of them are straight time and not flat rate that they appreciate the extra Labour they can charge when a repair is needed.

And finally,  but most importantly, one has to consider that all those shiney bits will make the bike look really nice on the back of flatbed when they have to tow it in. :apple:

(seriously... Thanks for your input... I'm just kidding... If you're right, maybe I should send my mechanic a pre-emptive case of beer)

Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

bribri1267

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 11:36:06 AM »

Purchased the chrome cylinder base cover for my 2012 CVO Streetglide but it doesn't seem to fit.  It appears that it's not long enough to wrap around the cylinders. I know it says that it's not for the CVO but HDNIK said it would fit and he just had to Replace the 3 1/2" inch bolt with a 4" inch bolt. The part number is the same one that HDNIK used. Has anyone else tried this with similar results?

15CVOSG

• Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO FLHXSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2011 CVO FLHXSE2 (SOLD)
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 01:17:13 PM »

I purchased the Kury Cyl. Base Cover # 8392 and it fits very good...also added a few more items...tappet block cover # 8389 and the rear cyl. base cover # 8694 as well as the inner primary cover # 7780 for my 12' CVo SG and it looks smokin...

bribri1267

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 02:28:32 PM »

I was trying to install the Harley brand cylinder base cover Part #32077-07 and I also have the Harley starter cover that I am going to try to modify and install. Anybody able to make the Harley stuff fit?

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »

Purchased the chrome cylinder base cover for my 2012 CVO Streetglide but it doesn't seem to fit.  It appears that it's not long enough to wrap around the cylinders. I know it says that it's not for the CVO but HDNIK said it would fit and he just had to Replace the 3 1/2" inch bolt with a 4" inch bolt. The part number is the same one that HDNIK used. Has anyone else tried this with similar results?

I cant imagine why they wont fit your 2012. There is no difference in the engine from mine :nixweiss:

The only mod was the bolt length. Are you trying to install without removing the shifter linkage? You need the room to slide it into position at the right angle and it drops right into place.

Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

bribri1267

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 03:44:04 PM »

Hey HDNIK, I was hoping to get some input from you. I did disconnect the shifter linkage, but it seems like the cover is about 1/2 inch too short. Wont wrap around the cylinder. I was really disapointed. I didnt know if there were anymore tricks to making it fit. Thanks for your help.

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 08:08:27 PM »

Hey HDNIK, I was hoping to get some input from you. I did disconnect the shifter linkage, but it seems like the cover is about 1/2 inch too short. Wont wrap around the cylinder. I was really disapointed. I didnt know if there were anymore tricks to making it fit. Thanks for your help.

Post a picture if you can. There is no trick to it. Should fit, just the length of the bolt is too short
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

bribri1267

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 05:54:28 PM »

Post a picture if you can. There is no trick to it. Should fit, just the length of the bolt is too short

Sorry HDNIK, I took the bike to the dealer today because of a radio problem. I will take a picture when I get her back.

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 06:21:35 PM »

The part you have wouldn't be "ribbed" would it? Like the pic below. If so that is Part number 32753-01 and its for older TC 88 I think.

Or it might be 32042-07 which is the smooth one for softail models. Neither of these would fit at all.

It wouldn't be the first time a part was labeled wrong. It's happened to me a number of times right from HD... part label says one thing and get something else... usually when its a left and a right of something... you may get two lefts.

If that part was in stock when you bought it, its VERY possible it got returned and put in the wrong packaging.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 06:38:04 PM by HDNIK »
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 11:30:11 PM »

The part you have wouldn't be "ribbed" would it? Like the pic below. If so that is Part number 32753-01 and its for older TC 88 I think.

Or it might be 32042-07 which is the smooth one for softail models. Neither of these would fit at all.

It wouldn't be the first time a part was labeled wrong. It's happened to me a number of times right from HD... part label says one thing and get something else... usually when its a left and a right of something... you may get two lefts.

If that part was in stock when you bought it, its VERY possible it got returned and put in the wrong packaging.

That looks like the one I have on my bike Nick, and my motor is the 95 and it fit like a glove  :2vrolijk_21:
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

bribri1267

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 03:08:14 PM »

That looks like the one I have on my bike Nick, and my motor is the 95 and it fit like a glove  :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks HDNIK, The part that I got was smooth. I ordered it on line so that I could get the 20% discount. I guess its possible that it could be the wrong one. Still waiting to get the bike back from the dealer and then I will send pictures. I appreciate your input.

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 20 queries.