Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Beating a dead horse..  (Read 3946 times)

cobaltblueultra2004

• Junior CVO Member
Beating a dead horse..
« on: February 29, 2012, 09:41:41 PM »

Well guys I know this subject has been beat in the ground time after time and I know it but looking for some options and seeing what other BB owners have done. I dropped the scoot off at the dealer Saturday to have some work done under the extended warranty and have a rear tire installed while it was there. They called today to inform me they had ordered all new bearings and seals for the primary and it would cover by the ESP. So I was like great and they also found a problem I hadn't noticed and it would also be covered by the ESP.

Then he drops the bomb, I was informed that when they removed the rear tire a bunch of the chrome stayed on the tire from the wheel bead and I would need to order a new rear wheel. He explained they were going to try to tube the tire but the chrome flakes would cut it like a razor blade. (Well Duh!!) He seems to think the tire will have a slow leak at the bead do to this and the ESP wont cover it. So I called HD directly and seriously argued the point so finally said they would call my dealer on Thursday and would call me back with their decision the same day. I have made up my mine I WILL NOT pay 1300 dollars for a rear wheel that will more than likely do it again. The front wheel is also starting to peel and its 1200.00 and there is noway I will do it twice.

Has anyone found wheels that look similar to the factory Detonator wheels or what have you guys put on the BB CVO that looks decent with out breaking the bank??

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Beating a dead horse..
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:46:50 PM »

Granted we all know that the wheels and many other shiny bits on the 04s had chrome issues.  And it sucks anytime to be stuck with an expensive problem.  But it's now an eight year old bike.  Everyone's take on such things are different.  But that's way beyond the time I'd expect or even request warranty consideration.  At some point they're just ours.

cobaltblueultra2004

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:05:56 PM »

I do understand completely but also as a factory representative for Ingersoll Rand now Doosan if a customer calls me with an known issue we do make policy adjustments and send dealers the parts to make the repairs but the customer covers all labor costs. I figured it was worth a try anyway since I have to play the game on a daily basis. I am leery of spending that kind of money on wheels that may turn around and do it again. I may see if I can find someone local and just have them re-chromed while I am out traveling next time and move along.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 10:18:02 PM »

I do understand completely but also as a factory representative for Ingersoll Rand now Doosan if a customer calls me with an known issue we do make policy adjustments and send dealers the parts to make the repairs but the customer covers all labor costs. I figured it was worth a try anyway since I have to play the game on a daily basis. I am leery of spending that kind of money on wheels that may turn around and do it again. I may see if I can find someone local and just have them re-chromed while I am out traveling next time and move along.

It's a tough bullet to bite.  Completely understand.  Even more when you know it was such a prevalent and recurrent problem early on.  And you're right, the worst thing that can happen is they say "no" and you're in no worse position.  So what the hell....  Give it a shot.

A thought to further confuse things.  If you like the look a wheel to consider might be a chromed version of the wheel used on some Street Glides or Road King Customs.  By itself it was never a wheel I was especially fond of but chromed it's a good looking wheel.  Suggesting it's perhaps worthy of consideration because chrome shops have found them to be popular.  Popular enough they apparently do up a few too many sometimes and surprising deals on newly chromed wheels show up on eBay with decent regularity.  The set on my Road Glide happened that way.

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 10:34:48 PM »

Or have your wheels re-chromed.  Might be worth a few weeks downtime if that's the wheel design you really like.

cobaltblueultra2004

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 10:36:26 PM »

Thanks Twolane, some times a second view point help put things into a little better perspective. I will do some looking and see what just happens along my way. Hell I should have tried the famous line I here daily and I quote " I have 7 of your machines and I am planning to buy 10 more you need to step up and fix this problem"...... :soapbox:

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 04:58:22 PM »

Site member jawarford1 has a set of 2004 SEEG Detnator for sale ...... On page 2 of Selling. :pumpkin: :2vrolijk_21:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 06:13:05 PM »

Under factory warranty we had them replaced 1 x and rather than deal with this multiple times we sent the rims to spacecoast chrome and they have held up since having them rechromed the wheel.   It was 600.00 at the time to do each rim, but it was much better chrome than the way the wheels came from the factory.  I believe the women there said it was triple nickle plated and then chromed.   They wheels looked so good we had to have the forks done because you see an obvious difference between the quality of the chrome.

http://spacecoast-plating.com/services

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

cobaltblueultra2004

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 01:11:01 PM »

We shall put this on hold for just a bit, I had a return from Tammy at HD customer service last night about 4:30. They have contacted the dealer to speak with the technician and get photographs of the wheels. I may know something today if not I was directed to a place in Cali that does custom chroming and restorations. They can do my wheels for 700.00 and that price includes shipping back to me..

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 03:36:48 PM »

My understanding is dealers can put in special requests to get stuff covered for good customers . Any one else here that ?
hdnut

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 03:40:11 PM »

My understanding is dealers can put in special requests to get stuff covered for good customers . Any one else here that ?
The MoCo allocates a certain $$ amount annually to a dealer to use as "Good Faith" warranty repairs/replacement. Essentially this is money they can spend on replacing (out of warranty) MoCo parts for customers if they so desire... It is up to the dealers discreation whom they use it on/for.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hbens

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Candy Cobalt/Starlight Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2012 SESG Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 09:14:14 PM »

Performance Machine had these great wheels at Sturgis last year.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity!

Dragula 2 into 1, S&S 640 EZ start cams pistons (10.8 compression) flywheel and Timken bearing, Vee Twin Racing Stage IV ported heads, K&N air cleaner, Power Vision with WBO2 auto tuner, king tour pak, solo & two up mounts, pass. floor boards, Headwinds spot/turn signal lights, zumo 660 GPS, ssaddlebag guard & pouches, Progress Suspension cartridg

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 09:51:30 PM »

i had my orig front wheel rechromed,,  looked better than the factory...  You were lucky to have all the work on the motor covered by thr ESP..    Be happy you got that,,  Get the wheels done,l  you will have a great bike there too.. :2vrolijk_21:

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 07:42:36 AM »

I found that if you keep being a pain in the butt customer service tends to give in.
Bill

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 07:55:51 AM »

We shall put this on hold for just a bit, I had a return from Tammy at HD customer service last night about 4:30. They have contacted the dealer to speak with the technician and get photographs of the wheels. I may know something today if not I was directed to a place in Cali that does custom chroming and restorations. They can do my wheels for 700.00 and that price includes shipping back to me..

I could be completely mistaken here, I think there were some restrictions/limitations on plating in california due to EPA and such.   You should find out what they do and compare it.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 20 queries.