Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Crimp tool and connectors  (Read 9036 times)

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
Re: Crimp tool and connectors
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 02:03:32 AM »

I do a lot of GM automotive stuff too, so I have more than one toy in my box...  :huepfenlol2:

MSD makes a GREAT multi tool with different jaws for different crimps... (so do other MFGs) I just happened to find a set online for I think it was $120.. and it didnt do the Deutsch connector well... so I still have the HD tool to go with that...

I prefer not to screw around with one tool, then another, then another to get the job done... if you've ever had the pleasure of using one of the HD crimpers you'll understand what I'm saying...

Not to mention all the connectors you mess up trying to make something work, or learning the process... the HD tool is as simple as strip, crimp, plug.. done. Of course, the beer consumed while swearing, bitching and pinching your fingers isnt bad...

(Yes, I'm a lazy ass too... )  ::)

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 02:23:31 AM »

Rich, I understand the difference between good and bad tools. I have been a "tool guy" my whole life, sounds like you are a tool guy as well, so you probably know what I mean. I am trying to find out what the majority of connectors are on our bikes, and what is the PROPPER tool to use. Now if I can spend $100 bucks and get a good quality tool instead of spending $400, I will consider that, but I am not going to spend $15.95 on a set of crimper's either.

So what do you use for a crimp tool on your bike, specifically? Is the majority of the bike Molex connectors?

Thanks for your input,

FAST

I'm not sure I can offer much here ... I feel strongly about having the right tool (as you do) for the right job. However, I don't know of a "majority" of connectors allowing you to purchase "just one" crimp tool.  As Carl pointed out, there are many alternatives to OEM and getting an effective crmp. And while I agree with him, I'll also state there are connectors on the bike that are very difficult to terminate without the OEM (or really - Manufacturer's tool).

For crimp tools - there is simply no "one tool to rule them all" ... if I had to pick my most important tool for crimping it would be the Molex MX150 crimp tool. Simply astounding crimps and worth every penny of the ~$400 list price. But that's just me. I chose early on in my design that disconnects under the seat  would be based on this connector (60+ terminations) so it made sense (again - for me) to buy the tool.

Still - well worth the investment. :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:23:23 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 05:21:21 AM »

Mike, what brand model are your tools that you use?

FAST;

The one in the upper right I bought from the Matco tool truck. MC93150.
The one in the lower right, I had from a previous need I purchased at a local automotive repair shop.

Now, having stated it worked for me, there was a lot of trial and error because these are not perfect. Each of these had their use in combination, but it was a pain in the ass and I spent many hours building the harness and getting the pins just right to snap into the connectors.   Having read through the other post here, I would agree that the Molex crimper would be highly recommended.  I just didn't want to spend another 3-4 hundred dollars on a tool to use potentially this one time.  If I were to do it again, I'd probably look at a higher quality tool both for ease of use, quality crimp and to speed up the process. If I knew of a place to rent or borrow the tool, I'd look at that option if it were available.

If I have problems down the road, I will be taking the pins apart and purchase the proper Molex crimper to do the job.  So far however, everything is working.  :2vrolijk_21:

Don't try this without a molex pin release tool either..  That, and it pays to have some extra pins and a couple connectors.. As careful as I was, I still messed up a few and not having a spare would have been another 3-5 days delay waiting for parts.  ;)

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 08:26:35 AM »

Don't try this without a molex pin release tool either..  

Ain't that the truth .... probably possible to use a paper clip but you'd need a bunch of them in different thicknesses to experiment with just the right one. Mjb765 (Mike) found a removal tool on ebay for like $16. I bought the Harley one but don't remember how much it was.

Just another weapon in the arsenal  :)

Best source I've found for most of the connectors/pins on the bike is Mouser (www.mouser.com). Terrific company and FAST shipping. Only exception to that are Deutsch connectors. As common a connector as it is (for automotive use as well) it still baffles me that Batts Racing seems to be the only source. Deutsch connectors (as connectors go) are pretty pricey as well.

Being able to manipulate the MX150 connector comes in very handy if you're doing much electrical work on the bike. For instance, the MX150 is used to connect the saddlebag harness for the lid speakers to the main harness running down the neck to the radio. It is provided as part of the sadllebag speaker kit with a 6-position male/female connection. Having the Molex crimper and pin tool allowed me to change the 6-positon to a smaller 4-position (a 2-position is all that is required, but those are hard to find for some reason) and do a custom drop of the connection exactly where I wanted it. See attached pic.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:43:18 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 25 queries.